Digital Camera

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Digital Camera

Post by emptythought »

My dad gave me a old Nikon from like 2002-2003 a month back and I gotta say, the autofocus on it sucks. There is no manual focus either. So I have $30, and I figure I might as well get a decent camera off eBay since I've been wanting one for awhile now but I don't feel like Googling all day to find something that is what I'm looking for and cheap enough to buy for $30.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm looking for a camera the uses CF cards since I already have a 128 MB card and manual focus (or a less crappy auto focus feature).
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Re: Digital Camera

Post by DaMadFiddler »

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING MADE BY KODAK.
GratefulDead
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by GratefulDead »

DaMadFiddler wrote:DO NOT BUY ANYTHING MADE BY KODAK.
x2

There are a lot better cameras out there.
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

Define "decent camera," because $30 isn't going to buy you what I'd call a decent camera..$30 gets you a kids My-First-Camera Walmart sort of thing..
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

I might not need one after all :P. I found out the camera has a macro feature.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

If you want a real camera, get a D-SLR. Otherwise, don't waste your money.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

fackue wrote:I'm looking for a camera the uses CF cards since I already have a 128 MB card
Don't latch on to an old flash format like CF. It'll be hard to find a digital camera that takes CF anyways; they're so big. SD cards are very cheap now. I picked up a brand new 1GB SD card for $10 a month or so ago. Most portable devices use some sort of SD now, be it MiniSD, MicroSD or plain ole SD.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Strapping Scherzo wrote:
fackue wrote:I'm looking for a camera the uses CF cards since I already have a 128 MB card
Don't latch on to an old flash format like CF. It'll be hard to find a digital camera that takes CF anyways; they're so big. SD cards are very cheap now. I picked up a brand new 1GB SD card for $10 a month or so ago. Most portable devices use some sort of SD now, be it MiniSD, MicroSD or plain ole SD.
In fact, it may be smart to get something with SDHC. Why the hell do they keep tinkering with that format, anyway? I'm tired of worrying whether the gear I'm buying is future-proof :P
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

AFAIK DSLR cameras use Compact Flash cards still... or am I just going crazy?
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Strapping Scherzo wrote:
In fact, it may be smart to get something with SDHC. Why the hell do they keep tinkering with that format, anyway? I'm tired of worrying whether the gear I'm buying is future-proof :P
Ah, I never heard about SDHC until now. Up to 32GB, geez! Considering it's a standard, yeah, I'd look for a camera that support SDHC.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Strapping Scherzo wrote:
I just bought a 1 GB SD card on Buy.com for $10. But I got it free with Google checkout.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

fackue wrote:
Strapping Scherzo wrote:
I just bought a 1 GB SD card on Buy.com for $10. But I got it free with Google checkout.
Hey thanks for the link. I went ahead and did the same thing. Free SD cards are good.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

My dad has a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX30, and it's really nice. Look into those.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Maybe if I had the money. I just don't have $200+ to spend. It looks really nice though.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I'm still using a crappy little CF-based point and click I got at the start of college. (2.2MP, no battery life, no optical zoom, and terrible low-light shots! Woot!) I'm still holding out for a good, consumer-friendly still/video combo camera, though.

Something like the Xacti HD1000, in another year or two when the issues have been resolved and the price is significantly lower.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I just picked up a Canon Powershot A560 with a 1GB SD card for $140 shipped from Newegg. Nice little camera for the money. Haven't had an opportunity to really use it, though. I was using a Kodak Easyshare piece of shit 2MP camera, and I took some pretty darn good pictures with it, so I imagine I'll be able to take some damn good pics with the Canon...as soon as I get the chance.