Apple announces new iPod lineup

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: Apple announces new iPod lineup

Post by politoe »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
politoe wrote:Now I want to see what will be MS response to this.
Kind of funny. But back on topic, I've always liked the way that itunes had the album scroller. It seems that the iTouch has it too.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Honestly, I don't know what I could add to this topic that hasn't already been said. I just agree with everything Darc said.

However, I do feel the need to elaborate on the whole 'taking your entire music library' thing. The entire reason I bought into the whole digital music thing was so that I no longer had to drag my 300+ CD's with me on car trips. I bought an iPod solely for the ability to take my entire music collection anywhere. Do I listen to all that music at once? Never. But when me and my wife are in the car, and she starts humming a song, I like to be able to break out my iPod and play that song. When I take friends on long car trips and they ask what I have to listen to, I don't want to say, "well, here's what I brought today." I own an iPod so I could just dump everything I have onto it and forget it. My wife, she doesn't live like that. She will pick a handful of songs and keep playing them for weeks before moving on. So her 2GB Sansa fits her fine. It's not a matter of how much a person can listen to, it's how they want to listen to it.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Hit the nail on the head, Mel.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

melancholy wrote:Honestly, I don't know what I could add to this topic that hasn't already been said. I just agree with everything Darc said.

However, I do feel the need to elaborate on the whole 'taking your entire music library' thing. The entire reason I bought into the whole digital music thing was so that I no longer had to drag my 300+ CD's with me on car trips. I bought an iPod solely for the ability to take my entire music collection anywhere. Do I listen to all that music at once? Never. But when me and my wife are in the car, and she starts humming a song, I like to be able to break out my iPod and play that song. When I take friends on long car trips and they ask what I have to listen to, I don't want to say, "well, here's what I brought today." I own an iPod so I could just dump everything I have onto it and forget it. My wife, she doesn't live like that. She will pick a handful of songs and keep playing them for weeks before moving on. So her 2GB Sansa fits her fine. It's not a matter of how much a person can listen to, it's how they want to listen to it.
Exactly. But another thing, and this can probably make you guys with static music tastes understand people with dynamic music tastes, is that what I feel like listening to can drastically change with my emotional state or mood. I was actually pretty angry with Mulletman after we had a little fight in IRC, so as I walked to British Lit class afterwards, I listened to some angry Korn (which is unusual, as I hardly ever listen to Korn--but it was on my iPod already, for the reasons I am now expressing). In class, I cooled down, and we discussed Old English elegies, a major theme of which can be impermanence or transience i.e. feelings of mourning for the 'good old days.' Having been familiar with these themes already from other cultures (Virgil's Aeneid of Ancient Rome, Sunt lacrimae rerum; The Tale of Genji of Heian Japan, mono no aware) and having previously identified with these themes, I have a personal emotional connection with them. As I walked out of class in a sort of sad mood, there was no way I was going to put Korn back on and completely ruin that feeling. So instead I listened to Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Tuesday's Gone."

So basically, with a large iPod, I can listen to anything that suits my mood anytime. I don't want to be listening to Johnny Cash's "Sunday Morning Coming Down" when I'm in an excited and happy mood, nor do I want to listen to The Polyphonic Spree's "Reach for the Sun" when I am depressed. I don't want to listen to music that's contradictory to my feelings, and there are plenty of different human emotions and there is a song for each one as well as a song for each way the emotion might have been brought out; if you disagree you can forcibly insert a lifeline card into your anus.
It's thinking...
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Cool. Just got myself an ipod but oh well. This looks cool. The wifi thing is great. Finally a decent remote control for xbmc. Gimicy but very nifty. I'll def be picking one up
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

nor do I want to listen to The Polyphonic Spree's "Reach for the Sun" when I am depressed.
really? i would think that it would cheer me up.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Covar wrote:
nor do I want to listen to The Polyphonic Spree's "Reach for the Sun" when I am depressed.
really? i would think that it would cheer me up.
You don't always want to be cheered up.
It's thinking...
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

HOLY CRAP I WROTE A HUGE POST AND THEN I HIT DELETE AND IT ALL GOT ERASED BECAUSE OF STUPID INTERNET EXPLORER DAMMIT

It basically said that I was disappointed that the Touch was flash based, but the 160gb iPod Classic's huge storage and Cover Flow make me finally want to give Apple my money for the first time ever. Even though I suspect in a year they will make a Touch with a hard drive. So I will be getting the 160gb for now.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

At 16GB, it's hardly worth it for music enthusiasts.

- Fuzmeister
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

S. Thompson wrote:At 16GB, it's hardly worth it for music enthusiasts.

- Fuzmeister
got me a movie
i want you to know
slicing up eyeballs
i want you to know
girlie so groovy
i want you to know
don't know about you
but i am un chien andalusia
It's thinking...
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

i look at my ipod layout right now and i have about 5gb of music and ~30+ gb of video. The amount of my music is not likely to go up at a large quantity anytime soon. still the biggest advantage of a large disc size is the fact that usb transfer speeds mean it takes a while to move even a few gigs of music. with my 80gb i transfer everything onto it once, and then only new stuff like my podcasts are updated.

/me wishes he had a shuffle or nano for running.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Covar wrote:i look at my ipod layout right now and i have about 5gb of music and ~30+ gb of video. The amount of my music is not likely to go up at a large quantity anytime soon. still the biggest advantage of a large disc size is the fact that usb transfer speeds mean it takes a while to move even a few gigs of music. with my 80gb i transfer everything onto it once, and then only new stuff like my podcasts are updated.

/me wishes he had a shuffle or nano for running.
I currently have about 15GB of music in iTunes, and when I rip my movies, I typically target them to be about 1GB each. That music size will easily double once I start ripping my classical collection--something I've been putting off, because data tagging for orchestral music is kind of a mess right now.

With an iPod Classic, I could theoretically have my ENTIRE music and movie collection on the device, which is exactly my goal. But now that the Touch has been introduced, I see the opportunity to finally retire my Zodiac in favor of something that syncs with my computer better.

I think I'll wait and see where things are this time next year. Apple runs a promotion every summer /fall where you get $150 towards an iPod if you buy a new computer, anyway...if I wait and do this next year, I can pick up a new desktop with Leopard, and hopefully they will have updated the Touch by then as well. I could settle for 60GB or above, but anything else won't really meet my needs.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...In related news, it was just announced that the new iPods (all of them) support component output with progressive scan (480p/576p) for video. Expect overpriced new accessory cables to show up in the Apple Store shortly ;)
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

The components are already for sale on Apple's site...for $49! Such a rip off. Especially since its only 480p. But I'm sure monoprice.com will have a generic version up soon for a couple bucks. That place is awesome, I got my two HDMI cables for my TV there for like $4. They sell the regular AV cable for the iPod for $1.71 and a retractable version for the same price, where Apple sells it for $19.99.
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

Damn, I've got to get one of those Archos players. I wasn't aware of its full capabilities. It sounds sweet.

As for the touch-screen Ipod, it may be a tough sell for Ipod fans, because it came to be known as a media-hoarding device; people carry their whole music collections, legal or otherwise, in those things. But it would be pretty damn expensive trying to fill a hard drive Ipod with music purchased fron iTunes...
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Quick question: is some of the new features like cover flow going to be available for the older iPods, kinda like how they put gapless playback into an update?

In other news, Apple is giving out $100 to people that bought iPhones before the price drop.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

melancholy wrote:In other news, Apple is giving out $100 to people that bought iPhones before the price drop.
Not exactly; they're giving out $100 in Apple Store credit. It's sort of like when Nintendo lost that price-fixing case in the 80s, so they "repaid" customers by giving out vouchers for $5 off NES games.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

160GB ipod, ipod touch, color nano, cheaper iphone

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

Great, Steve Jobs, you're now officially a douche, now more than ever.

Who in their right mind needs a 160GB ipod? Sure, if you put universal USB support on the damn thing, everyone would be happy. 160GB portable hard drive that plays videos and music? Sign me up! But, you lock it down and the only way to access it is through itunes. Add FLAC support if you want to make a 160GB i Ishit.
Color nano? Great idea. I agree with your vision, for once.
You strip out the phone part of the ipod touch? Great! Good idea! You're still a douche if you buy one.
Drop the price of the iphone by $200? I see an angry mob coming at you.

My 60GB video is now crying.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: 160GB ipod, ipod touch, color nano, cheaper iphone

Post by |darc| »

Egotistical EvilN wrote:Who in their right mind needs a 160GB ipod? Sure, if you put universal USB support on the damn thing, everyone would be happy. 160GB portable hard drive that plays videos and music? Sign me up! But, you lock it down and the only way to access it is through itunes. Add FLAC support if you want to make a 160GB i Ishit.
I suspect that the 160gb iPod has been released just in time for Mac OS X Leopard's release in October. If you've been keeping up with the new Leopard features, one of them is an automatic backup system called "Time Machine" that lets the system make backups to an external drive. The 160gb iPod sounds like it has been released for Time Machine.

iPods do have universal USB support. You can drag and drop any files onto the iPod. You need iTunes to add media to the the iPod's library file, though, so you still need to sync media with iTunes.

Apple has its own lossless codec, ALAC, so there already is a lossless justification for the 160gb iPod.

If you don't want that space, no one is making you buy it, you know...
EvilN wrote:Color nano? Great idea. I agree with your vision, for once.
The iPod nano has always had a color screen. The added feature is video.
It's thinking...
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: 160GB ipod, ipod touch, color nano, cheaper iphone

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

|darc| wrote: one of them is an automatic backup system called "Time Machine" that lets the system make backups to an external drive. The 160gb iPod sounds like it has been released for Time Machine.
Bingo! That explains it perfectly.
iPods do have universal USB support. You can drag and drop any files onto the iPod. You need iTunes to add media to the the iPod's library file, though, so you still need to sync media with iTunes.
Yeah, you're right on that one. My mistake, now I remember using mine to watch videos in the lab.
Apple has its own lossless codec, ALAC, so there already is a lossless justification for the 160gb iPod.
Eww. I prefer standard formats, but now that I know about ALAC, it makes sense.
The iPod nano has always had a color screen. The added feature is video.
Yeah, true. I goofed on that part. I do like the new nanos, though.