Whats a good Linux distro to start out with?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Whats a good Linux distro to start out with?

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Stormwatch wrote:Just saw an interesting article... Linux shootout: 7 desktop distros compared.

A common reaction at Slashdot was: Why isn't [[favorite distro]] in this list? Of course, with hundreds of distros out there... still, seems a bit weird that they didn't try Slackware.
Slackware probably isn't there for the same reason as any number of favorite distros: because they didn't consider it to be a "desktop distro". It did seem a bit odd to have CentOS in there. Overall, I think the article is a bit pointless; despite being called a "shootout", there's pretty much no actual competition/comparison going on aside from which distro left the reviewer with the best impression. I thought the point of "shootout" articles was to have some kind of objective competition rather than "I like distro X because Y" sort of stuff.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

I've played around with PPC versions of Linux in the past. My only experience on the Intel side is Ubuntu. I installed it as a virtual machine under VMware. The install was pretty painless and everything worked out of the box.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

install gentoo
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Per a reference from here, I've tried Xubuntu, and Puppy, on an older PC of mine.

I'd definitely try Puppy. It's awesome, the total package is under 110MB, and it can be run from a 'live' cd/dvd/usb. It runs super fast straight from the system RAM, assuming of course that your PC has 512(+) MB of RAM.
ImageImageImageImage