Hey video card upgrades

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Post Reply
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:24 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Hey video card upgrades

Post by RMD » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:58 pm

Hey i'm running a pretty crappy pentium 3 but it still runs really decent.

The specs are
Pentium 3, 750mhz
768MB RAM
Geforce 6200

Now the geforce I have has pixel shader 3 and holds up pretty damn good. I can run unreal 2k4 at max settings on this pc which always impressed me.
I've got a AGP slot but the card i'm using is a pci. I was told it was the best pci card that you could easly buy anymore.
What i'm looking to do is find out first what speed my AGP slot is. Next I wanna know what would the most logical video card to get to maxium the preformance of this pc.
I know its throwing money into a wasted cause but I wanna get the absolute best card to make sure i've maxed this pc completly then I wanna get a nice case and just simply be finshed with this pc.

So what card should I get before it gets to the point where no matter how good the card is it wont be able to use its full power due to the pc specs?
Also again how do I find out what speed my agp slot is?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150190 < thinking out getting that. I think that would be more than enough just to polish off the system and not over kill.
User avatar
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
Posts: 1353
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:13 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Hey video card upgrades

Post by Chaniyth » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:51 pm

You're truely living in the dark ages with such an OLD cpu. You really should upgrade fully to a new system. New cpu, new mobo, new everything... but wait.

PCI Express 2.0 is coming out soon; PCIe 2.0 doubles the bus standard's bandwidth from 2.5 Gbit/s to 5 Gbit/s, meaning a x32 connector can transfer data at up to 16 GB/s in each direction. Also all new Nvidia GeForce 9 Series of cards, which will support DirectX 10.1 / OpenGL 3.0 will be coming out sometime in November, and ATI Radeon R700 series of cards which also support DirectX 10.1 / OpenGL 3.0 to be released sometime in early 2008.

DirectX 10.1 is an incremental update to DirectX 10 which will be shipped with, and require, Windows Vista Service Pack 1 slated for release sometime in January 2008. DirectX 10.1 will be backwards compatible with DirectX 10 hardware, but the new features will not be available until 10.1 compliant hardware is released (GeForce 9 Series, and ATI Radeon R700 series cards), this means any new functions in DirectX 10.1 will NOT be available to current generation DirectX 10 compatible cards.

In the next few months it would be a great time for you to fully upgrade to a new system. :)
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:24 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Hey video card upgrades

Post by RMD » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:57 pm

I have 3 pcs.

I have a nice dual core sittings off to the side these are just my little e machine type pcs that use to be my main pcs. So i'm kinda just looking for advice on decent parts for these 2 spare pcs to make them the least outdated as possable as My family still uses these while I use the much much better pc myself.
User avatar
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User
Posts: 4192
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2002 3:51 pm
Location: Calacera County
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Hey video card upgrades

Post by Calavera » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:10 pm

The best agp card is the Radeon X1950 Pro. Is the AGP slot 8X?
Image
User avatar
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter
Posts: 2799
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2001 7:44 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Hey video card upgrades

Post by APE » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:29 pm

Invizix wrote:You're truely living in the dark ages with such an OLD cpu. You really should upgrade fully to a new system. New cpu, new mobo, new everything... but wait.

PCI Express 2.0 is coming out soon; PCIe 2.0 doubles the bus standard's bandwidth from 2.5 Gbit/s to 5 Gbit/s, meaning a x32 connector can transfer data at up to 16 GB/s in each direction. Also all new Nvidia GeForce 9 Series of cards, which will support DirectX 10.1 / OpenGL 3.0 will be coming out sometime in November, and ATI Radeon R700 series of cards which also support DirectX 10.1 / OpenGL 3.0 to be released sometime in early 2008.

DirectX 10.1 is an incremental update to DirectX 10 which will be shipped with, and require, Windows Vista Service Pack 1 slated for release sometime in January 2008. DirectX 10.1 will be backwards compatible with DirectX 10 hardware, but the new features will not be available until 10.1 compliant hardware is released (GeForce 9 Series, and ATI Radeon R700 series cards), this means any new functions in DirectX 10.1 will NOT be available to current generation DirectX 10 compatible cards.

In the next few months it would be a great time for you to fully upgrade to a new system. :)
You sound like one of those fucks who tries to sell shit to people without actually knowing what they're talking about.

Bit of history: AGP4x is about half the bandwidth of AGP8x. The difference? Jack fucking shit actually used it, the same will happen with PCI-e 2.0. As for DX10.1, no-one but MS gives a shit about it and it will be unlikely to be used for a while. Couldn't hurt to wait to have a card that supports it just in case one good game does decide to use it though.
Image
A few fries short of a happy meal.
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:24 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Hey video card upgrades

Post by RMD » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:17 pm

Calavera wrote:The best agp card is the Radeon X1950 Pro. Is the AGP slot 8X?
Nope its a 2x agp however after posting at zsnes board I found out the card I'm buying is the perfect card for that pc.
User avatar
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Posts: 5088
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 6:50 pm
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Hey video card upgrades

Post by butters » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:54 pm

Be aware that you will need more power for that card. Don't want you blowing a power supply.
User avatar
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User
Posts: 4192
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2002 3:51 pm
Location: Calacera County
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Hey video card upgrades

Post by Calavera » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:26 am

RMD wrote:
Calavera wrote:The best agp card is the Radeon X1950 Pro. Is the AGP slot 8X?
Nope its a 2x agp however after posting at zsnes board I found out the card I'm buying is the perfect card for that pc.
What card are you getting?
Image
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:24 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Hey video card upgrades

Post by RMD » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:07 pm

butters wrote:Be aware that you will need more power for that card. Don't want you blowing a power supply.
Would a 400 watt be enough ?
User avatar
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Posts: 5088
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 6:50 pm
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Hey video card upgrades

Post by butters » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:30 pm

RMD wrote:
butters wrote:Be aware that you will need more power for that card. Don't want you blowing a power supply.
Would a 400 watt be enough ?
Should be unless you have tons of fans.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Posts: 3641
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:55 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Hey video card upgrades

Post by Ex-Cyber » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:35 pm

RMD wrote:
butters wrote:Be aware that you will need more power for that card. Don't want you blowing a power supply.
Would a 400 watt be enough ?
ATI wrote:450-Watt power supply or greater, 30 Amps on 12 volt rail recommended
The amps on 12V is more important than the overall rating, although this is phrased kind of strangely; 30A@12V seems to be a recommended spec vs. 450W as a minimum spec. It really depends a lot on what else is in the system - I'm guessing that the 30A number assumes some sort of "extreme" processor+chipset combo, fast disk drives, lots of fans, and so on. I don't think you're likely to find a 450W PC supply with 30A capacity on the 12v rail anyway...
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
User avatar
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter
Posts: 2799
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2001 7:44 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Hey video card upgrades

Post by APE » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:36 am

Ex-Cyber wrote:I don't think you're likely to find a 450W PC supply with 30A capacity on the 12v rail anyway...
What if you rubbed it with cheetah blood?
Image
A few fries short of a happy meal.
User avatar
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User
Posts: 4192
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2002 3:51 pm
Location: Calacera County
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Hey video card upgrades

Post by Calavera » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:31 am

So are you getting the X1950 Pro?
Image
User avatar
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!
Posts: 2336
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:48 pm
Location: ny
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Hey video card upgrades

Post by CupNoodle » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:26 pm

Invizix wrote:You're truely living in the dark ages with such an OLD cpu. You really should upgrade fully to a new system. New cpu, new mobo, new everything... but wait.
Ha!

Here's what I'm running:
700Mhz Celeron
384MB RAM
GeForce 2 MX400

SPEED SO ASTONISHING AND INCOMPREHENSIBLE THAT MORTAL MAN IS RENDERED INSANE AND IMPOTENT AT ITS MERE MENTION!
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:24 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Hey video card upgrades

Post by RMD » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:01 pm

Calavera wrote:So are you getting the X1950 Pro?
Will it work on a agp 2x slot?

Plus throwing a $150 card in a system that will be bottle necked by its cpu seems rather fucking pointless no?
User avatar
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
Posts: 1353
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:13 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Hey video card upgrades

Post by Chaniyth » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:40 pm

RMD wrote:
Calavera wrote:So are you getting the X1950 Pro?
Will it work on a agp 2x slot?

Plus throwing a $150 card in a system that will be bottle necked by its cpu seems rather fucking pointless no?
As long as the system is not your "main" PC, and you don't do heavy gaming on it, the GeForce 7600GS you mentioned in your original post should be fine. :)
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:24 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Hey video card upgrades

Post by RMD » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:41 am

Well lets see.

Some of the games I wanna play

Ragnarok Online 2
Monster Hunter Online
Unreal 2004 < Already runs at almost max settings and 1650x1080 resolution)
Y's 6, orgins and felgahan
Legend of Heroes 1-6 including part 2 and 3
Quake 3 ( Bid for power )
Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst
Phantasy Star Universe
Epsxe
Star Wars Galaxy
EQ2

I wanna be able to run all those at max settings. Most of them already run near max settings i'm just hoping this card will add the polish I need to make it a nice retro gaming rig. I would be interested in newer pc games but they mostly just seem to suck :(
User avatar
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
Posts: 1353
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:13 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Hey video card upgrades

Post by Chaniyth » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:28 pm

RMD wrote:Well lets see.

Some of the games I wanna play

Ragnarok Online 2
Monster Hunter Online
Unreal 2004 < Already runs at almost max settings and 1650x1080 resolution)
Y's 6, orgins and felgahan
Legend of Heroes 1-6 including part 2 and 3
Quake 3 ( Bid for power )
Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst
Phantasy Star Universe
Epsxe
Star Wars Galaxy
EQ2

I wanna be able to run all those at max settings. Most of them already run near max settings i'm just hoping this card will add the polish I need to make it a nice retro gaming rig. I would be interested in newer pc games but they mostly just seem to suck :(
The only concern on that PC is really the CPU. Those games might run well will max settings though with that card. Who knows. Give it a try. :)
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:24 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Hey video card upgrades

Post by RMD » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:35 pm

I was playing HOTD3 today and I love how I get the same lagish play no matter what.

i can run it max settings still get the same speed as running it at lowest settings. But its still decently playable. would that be more of a video card issue or cpu issue?
User avatar
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
Posts: 1353
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:13 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Hey video card upgrades

Post by Chaniyth » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:55 pm

RMD wrote:I was playing HOTD3 today and I love how I get the same lagish play no matter what.

i can run it max settings still get the same speed as running it at lowest settings. But its still decently playable. would that be more of a video card issue or cpu issue?
CPU
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
Post Reply