Proposal for a spelling and grammar rule

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Proposal for a spelling and grammar rule

Post by butters »

zman wrote:Provided Aboriginal Dictation Software for this forum and I'm in. Clicks and Pops are the answer.

Raise your hand if you actually know how to grammatically follow the American dialect.
Unless you took college classes in English. Please do not complain what can and can not be done properly. It's useless.
I don't understand what you mean by college classes in English. At this point most of the regular users on these forums are college students, and guess what? They have to take college level English courses!
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

butters wrote:At this point most of the regular users on these forums are college students, and guess what? They have to take college level English courses!
I had two semesters of English in my college. It was awful because over 90% of the students don't take it seriously. English classes at high school aren't any better. I only learned English thanks to videogames, nagging my older sister to translate some stuff to me, dictionaries, computer programs in English, and this forum. Talking (instead of writing) is the last frontier, but I feel so embarrassed... :oops:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

butters wrote:I don't understand what you mean by college classes in English. At this point most of the regular users on these forums are college students, and guess what? They have to take college level English courses!
We don't :P No compulsory general education in University over here. You just pick what you want to major in, study it for 3 years, then graduate. I haven't had an English class in 3 years, and haven't had a Maths or Science class for 5 years.
MapleBuster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MapleBuster »

No compulsory general education in University over here.
An appreciation for Neighbours, Real Ale and Pop music isn't part of the curriculum ?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

MapleBuster wrote:
No compulsory general education in University over here.
An appreciation for Neighbours, Real Ale and Pop music isn't part of the curriculum ?
Real Ale?
Surely its pound-a-pint watered down Carling pisswater and shots of Aftershock?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

BoneyCork wrote:
butters wrote:I don't understand what you mean by college classes in English. At this point most of the regular users on these forums are college students, and guess what? They have to take college level English courses!
We don't :P No compulsory general education in University over here. You just pick what you want to major in, study it for 3 years, then graduate. I haven't had an English class in 3 years, and haven't had a Maths or Science class for 5 years.
There seems to be a lot of padding in American universities. To do a law degree over there, you need to first get an undergraduate degree (four years) and then you do your law degree (three years)--over here, you just go straight into a three-year law degree as an undergraduate, as I am.

In one of the handful of state with lax requirements for foreign lawyers (e.g. New York), it would be possible for me to become a lawyer three to four years before an American could. :P
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

az_bont wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
There seems to be a lot of padding in American universities. To do a law degree over there, you need to first get an undergraduate degree (four years) and then you do your law degree (three years)--over here, you just go straight into a three-year law degree as an undergraduate, as I am.

In one of the handful of state with lax requirements for foreign lawyers (e.g. New York), it would be possible for me to become a lawyer three to four years before an American could. :P
Learning about a specific area is no more than training. Learning about different subjects is an education.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Learning about a specific area is no more than training. Learning about different subjects is an education.
Yeah, and general education finishes here at 18. University is where you go to study a specific area, for a specific career. If you want to be an English teacher, there's no point being forced to take additional Maths classes at University. It's a waste of time.
zman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by zman »

Most of the public education given in the U.S. is soft on learning and hard on feeling good. My personal thoughts are that the good learning stops at middle school. That's when students start getting options for classes to take plus sports become more serious. That's when the system starts to fail to teach more advance levels of English, Math & Science facts and figures. So when you get to college you end up relearning a lot of this that should have been known in the first place. That is why I say unless you took college english. So between middle school and college the majority of people forget about proper english. That and the internet really does hinder the progress of proper grammer and scentince structure. Oh well...
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

zman wrote:Most of the public education given in the U.S. is soft on learning and hard on feeling good. My personal thoughts are that the good learning stops at middle school. That's when students start getting options for classes to take plus sports become more serious. That's when the system starts to fail to teach more advance levels of English, Math & Science facts and figures. So when you get to college you end up relearning a lot of this that should have been known in the first place. That is why I say unless you took college english. So between middle school and college the majority of people forget about proper english. That and the internet really does hinder the progress of proper grammer and scentince structure. Oh well...
I agree. US public high schools are failures.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

general education requirements at universities only exist to rake in more money from parents.

taking college level maths because you are an engineer == aceptable
taking chemistry as a computer science major == more money for the university
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

Covar wrote:general education requirements at universities only exist to rake in more money from parents.

taking college level maths because you are an engineer == aceptable
taking chemistry as a computer science major == more money for the university
You are absolutely wrong there. Universities lose money teaching classes. They only manage to break even from their government funding for public schools and from their donations for private schools.
IiLuSiv
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by IiLuSiv »

a lot of people speak poorly so to say because it is differentation. In my area, a lot of the younger generation speak in a more regional dialect than our parents do. It's not MTV, or Black slang, it's just a development of differentation. It's not that Americans or other people are incapable of speaking well, it's just that we don't want to. :D :mrgreen:
I have a secret...
you
got
punkd
lo

ser