Australian media is stupid

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Australian media is stupid

Post by JellyWarrior »

I read this article and thought to myself "how ridiculous is this?"
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007 ... 972797.htm
Opera House snubbed as new Wonders unveiled

Posted 3 hours 27 minutes ago
Updated 42 minutes ago
Missed the cut: The Sydney Opera House

Sydney's Opera House failed to make the cut as the organisers of a huge online poll unveiled their new Seven Wonders of the World in the Portuguese capital Lisbon this morning.

The Great Wall of China, Petra in Jordan and Brazil's statue of Christ the Redeemer were among the modern-day wonders chosen in a poll of 100 million online voters at the http://www.new7wonders.com site.......
I can't understand why they'd even entertain the possibility of the Opera House being a world wonder. It is definitely a very well built building and deserves it's world heritage listing but it's something that you could repeat again elsewhere.

I suppose what's annoying to me is that some people will read it and foolishly start to think "boy we got ripped off". The Australian media does this all the time, takes things that aren't that special, and make it sound special. I'm not saying that the Opera House isn't special but I just get sick of hearing all this crap that they go on with, just because they can't fund anything amazing here in Oz so they have to exaggerate things.

Anyhow I am just venting, I don't really expect any replies, and I also realise that this is probably a universal problem. I need to get it off my chest because it pisses me off.
I am involved in : Mytalk | Comet TV | Distinctive Web Services
Specially Cork

Re: Australian media is stupid

Post by Specially Cork »

Yeah, no offense to Australia but looking at the winners on that website I really can't see how the Sydney Opera House fits in at all. It's a good piece of architecture and instantly recognisable but it is hardly a "wonder of the world".

It's the same for other finalists like the Statue of Liberty or the Eiffel Tower. I think they're cool structures and nice to look at, but they wouldn't blow my mind in the same way exploring the ruins of Machu Picchu would or seeing the Great Wall of China work its way over the mountains into the horizon.
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly

Post by JellyWarrior »

That's what I mean, the media makes all of these stupid things up.

This latest craze vilifying doctors is also pissing me off. Because the recent failed terror attacks on London and Glasgow were supposedly carried out by doctors. I'd hate to be a doctor from the Middle East or India at the moment.

Especially how the media pressured for the release of the details of the doctors who were detained here in Australia. One of the doctors detained turned out to be innocent but he has had his name smeared all over the place now, and has probably lost a lot of business.

Another thing that pisses me off is you hear a lot of "Australia is the only country in the world that does <INSERT THING>" most of those claims end up being utter bullshit, yet till you hear otherwise it's easy to believe them.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

JellyWarrior wrote:That's what I mean, the media makes all of these stupid things up.

This latest craze vilifying doctors is also pissing me off. Because the recent failed terror attacks on London and Glasgow were supposedly carried out by doctors. I'd hate to be a doctor from the Middle East or India at the moment.

Especially how the media pressured for the release of the details of the doctors who were detained here in Australia. One of the doctors detained turned out to be innocent but he has had his name smeared all over the place now, and has probably lost a lot of business.

Another thing that pisses me off is you hear a lot of "Australia is the only country in the world that does <INSERT THING>" most of those claims end up being utter bullshit, yet till you hear otherwise it's easy to believe them.
Pretty much agree with everything you said. And this whole middle east doctor thing is getting annoying!
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

BoneyCork wrote:It's the same for other finalists like the Statue of Liberty or the Eiffel Tower.
I don't see how the Statue of Liberty is any less cool than Christ the Redeemer.

Honestly, I don't see how they passed up the fucking Pyramids for Christ the Redeemer. I would have taken the Acropolis, Hagia Sophia, or St. Basil's way before Christ the Redeemer.
It's thinking...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

|darc| wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:It's the same for other finalists like the Statue of Liberty or the Eiffel Tower.
I don't see how the Statue of Liberty is any less cool than Christ the Redeemer.

Honestly, I don't see how they passed up the fucking Pyramids for Christ the Redeemer. I would have taken the Acropolis, Hagia Sophia, or St. Basil's way before Christ the Redeemer.
It isn't less cool than Christ The Redeemer, it's less wonderous than all the other winners though. Christ The Redeemer just shouldn't be there :P Sadly I am sure if it were a statue of anything other than Jesus it wouldn't be one of the winners.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

The statue of liberty is what thousands (if not millions) of immigrants saw coming to America, it had a profound impact upon many of them.

The fact the pyramids are still around means they should be guaranteed a spot on the list.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

APE wrote:The statue of liberty is what thousands (if not millions) of immigrants saw coming to America, it had a profound impact upon many of them.

The fact the pyramids are still around means they should be guaranteed a spot on the list.
They were. At least the Great Pyramid was according to the article I read.
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle »

|darc| wrote: I don't see how the Statue of Liberty is any less cool than Christ the Redeemer.

Yeah, I can't believe Christ the Redeemer made the list. Sure it's huge, but wonders like Angkor Wat and the Pyramids at Giza are testaments to the genius architecture of ancient civilizations and were passed up in lieu of a gigantic Jesus.
Last edited by CupNoodle on Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Ah, I found out why. This was done through voting through their website and SMS. It wasn't about which has more merit; it was about who could spam the fastest.
It's thinking...
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

"E" = Eiffel Tower
"S" = Statue of Liberty
"J" = Christ Redeemer
Each line = 15 meters

____E
____E
____E
____E
____E
____E
___E_E
___E_E
___E_E
___E_E
___E_E
___E_E
__E___E
__E___E
__E___E
__E___E
__E___E__________________S
_E_____E________J________S

art credits: posted by "aepervius" in Slashdot

Trivia: Alexandre Gustave Eiffel, designer of the tower that bears his name, also designed the internal structure of the Statue of Liberty.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Stormwatch wrote:"E" = Eiffel Tower
"S" = Statue of Liberty
"J" = Christ Redeemer
Each line = 15 meters

____E
____E
____E
____E
____E
____E
___E_E
___E_E
___E_E
___E_E
___E_E
___E_E
__E___E
__E___E
__E___E
__E___E
__E___E__________________S

art credits: posted by "aepervius" in Slashdot

Trivia: Alexandre Gustave Eiffel, designer of the tower that bears his name, also designed the internal structure of the Statue of Liberty.
You realise it wasn't a tallest competition right?
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

They should circumcise the Eiffel Tower, it might be a bit shorter then.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly

Post by JellyWarrior »

Speaking of towers that need circumcision, you should see the tower here in my home town of Newcastle.

It's literally known around here as "The Newcastle Penis".
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

not just souLLy now wrote:You realise it wasn't a tallest competition right?
Sure. If that was the case, the Sears Tower would be number one. But what I mean is, as feats of engineering, both the Eiffel tower and the Lady Liberty are more deserving of a place in the list than the Christ statue. For their symbolic value, ditto.
. . whispered
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Stormwatch wrote:
not just souLLy now wrote:You realise it wasn't a tallest competition right?
Sure. If that was the case, the Sears Tower would be number one. But what I mean is, as feats of engineering, both the Eiffel tower and the Lady Liberty are more deserving of a place in the list than the Christ statue. For their symbolic value, ditto.
You realise it wasn't a feats of engineering competition right?
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

To some extent, I think it is. Or it should.
. . whispered
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Christ the Redeemer also sticks out like a sore thumb for being the only wonder made in the past 400 years. Not saying age should be the key thing here, but it obviously is playing a part.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
zman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by zman »

Not to complain, but the Calletrava (not spelled right I'm shure.) The Milwaukee Art museum as a piece of architecture is right up there with the Sydney Opera house. What happened to the Roman aquaducks ( again not spelled right.) It's general, but some of them still stand and are a marvel to modern science. What about the remaining Greek bath houses. There was a lot of antiquities that where not included. I still say the Pyriamids of Gyza are the best. Nothing like the original seven wonders. No one mentioned Hover Dam or the one they are making in China that is huge. Nothing against the Jesus statue, but I do not believe that belonged on the list of possibilities. The same with the Statue of Liberty or the Eifel Tower. I thought the list should include architecture and construction that still bafels scientists and experts on how it was made. How the ancients built things. I thought that was the purpose. Wonderous things that are curiosities to all. Stonehedge is a good choice. The Easter Island heads are a good choice. The Great Wall of China is an O.K. choice.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

I actually really like the Christ statue, it's incredibly iconic and I think placement also works in its favour.