Jesusphone?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Wagh
Wagh
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Jesusphone?

Post by Wagh »

Does everyone really care that much? I mean gizmodo and engadget have up to the minute information about how long people have been waiting in lines and where at? Who the fuck cares its a god damn phone. This intense of hyping really is just fucking annoying now. Fuck apple.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Re: Jesusphone?

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Wagh wrote:Does everyone really care that much? I mean gizmodo and engadget have up to the minute information about how long people have been waiting in lines and where at? Who the fuck cares its a god damn phone. This intense of hyping really is just fucking annoying now. Fuck apple.
...Welcome to modern culture. Last week, CNN interrupted war coverage to report that Paris Hilton had arrived at the CNN studio for an interview.

The only news worth its salt any more is The Daily Show.
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly

Post by JellyWarrior »

I thought I was alone, the iPhone is great and all but no, I am not excited and am still sceptical that it's going to be the success that everyone says that it will be.
I am involved in : Mytalk | Comet TV | Distinctive Web Services
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

Wagh wrote:Does everyone really care that much? I mean gizmodo and engadget have up to the minute information about how long people have been waiting in lines and where at? Who the fuck cares its a god damn phone. This intense of hyping really is just fucking annoying now.
agreed. why people are spending $500-$600 on a mediocre ipod / cell phone hybrid is beyond me.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

I also agree.
I dont see what all the hype is about.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I would love to have one, as I do think it is a nice phone, but I'll wait for both a 30 gig hard drive and a $200 range to consider it.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

It's way too big. The thing is a fucking brick. That's fine for an iPod, but I don't want something that big for a cellphone.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

We've had better phones in europe for ages. In america they lock down your phones -really- bad.
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

I would pay the $600 if it had a 100GB hard drive, but not 8 gigs of flash. A 100GB iPod would be worth around $350 I figure (I think thats what the 80gb's go for right now and they always keep the prices the same but bump up the storage capacity from gen to gen). So another $250 for a smart phone in the same device would be a good deal for me. It would probably have too much of a negative impact on battery life though. But as it is, I don't think its too big since carrying a smaller phone and an iPod separate is even more of a hastle. I find iPods fit very comfortably in my pocket, and this looks to be of similar shape and size, hardly a "brick."
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Gmc wrote:We've had better phones in europe for ages. In america they lock down your phones -really- bad.
This is why I don't think it will do so well over here. $500 for a phone as long as you sign up for a 2 year contract. The phone industry just doesn't work like that over here.

A brand new state of the art phone would cost you £75-£100 Maximum on an 12 month contract, and £0-£50 Maximum on an 18 month. Within 6 months it will be free on a 12 month contract. The idea of spending so much money on a phone, then being locked into such a long contract doesn't sit well with me, and I think most Brits (and probably most Europeans?) will feel the same way.

And like you said, it isn't even that good. They've dropped a number of key features just for the sake of a snazzy high res screen and a touch screen menu. I can get better phones, with better camera, better audio playback and a ton more software and features for free.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

If it was being made by Nokia, Gizmodo, or Phillips no-one would give a shit. The apple cult is approaching critical and I expect some of the idiocy to deflate.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

BoneyCork wrote:
Gmc wrote:We've had better phones in europe for ages. In america they lock down your phones -really- bad.
This is why I don't think it will do so well over here. $500 for a phone as long as you sign up for a 2 year contract. The phone industry just doesn't work like that over here.

A brand new state of the art phone would cost you £75-£100 Maximum on an 12 month contract, and £0-£50 Maximum on an 18 month. Within 6 months it will be free on a 12 month contract. The idea of spending so much money on a phone, then being locked into such a long contract doesn't sit well with me, and I think most Brits (and probably most Europeans?) will feel the same way.

And like you said, it isn't even that good. They've dropped a number of key features just for the sake of a snazzy high res screen and a touch screen menu. I can get better phones, with better camera, better audio playback and a ton more software and features for free.
[nods] Telecommunications companies have consumers by the balls in the US, and considering who's currently running the government, that's not likely to change any time soon. T-Mobile seems to be the least evil of the major cell carriers, but we're still getting screwed all the way around...on our cells, on our landlines, and on our Internet service (though not as badly as Australia :o ).

That's why I've got Vonage for my phone, a basic contract-less cable service (costs a little more, but AT&T fucked me so hard with service contract details that I'm hesitant to get involved in anything approaching that again), and I'm avoiding mobiles altogether until something a little more reasonable is available. I'm prepared for a long wait.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

I phone, Youphone, ET Phone Home, meh...

What's the big deal about Ipods and Iphones anyway? 95% of the time they're in your pocket anyway. Admitted, I have an LG Shine, and also for its looks. But if it wasn't within my budget of what my operator would offer me for a good price with my contract, I'd have picked another phone.

Same with my MP3 player, I still use a 256mb flash player which I got for free after having helped the neighbours set up their internet connection. It came as a gift with their contract. I've been using it for 2 years now and it has never failed me, and it has good audio quality. What matters most are the headphones anyway. It's easy to use as well, cause I don't have to look at the screen in order to find my way, which is the most important thing to me. And a funny fact, at work I had two guys asking me where they could buy this thing because they liked the design, while it's just a no name (Maxmann in fact) player. :P

Why pay so much, it's not like you're the pimp if the guy next door has one as well because he also gave in to the hype. :roll:
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

The biggest thing about iPhone is its completely different and fresh interface. Arguably, that is the best thing about Apple software: its interfaces.
It's thinking...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

|darc| wrote:The biggest thing about iPhone is its completely different and fresh interface. Arguably, that is the best thing about Apple software: its interfaces.
I agree the interface looks cool, but there's no avoiding the fact that it has been slapped over dated phone hardware. :(
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

|darc| wrote:The biggest thing about iPhone is its completely different and fresh interface. Arguably, that is the best thing about Apple software: its interfaces.
Is the standard telephone interface so bad that it's worth $500 to replace it with a completely new one that hasn't been tested?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Roofus wrote:
Is the standard telephone interface so bad that it's worth $500 to replace it with a completely new one that hasn't been tested?
Most phone interfaces are absolute shit. For $500? No, I don't think so. I will probably wind up getting one eventually, but not until the price comes down a few hundred. I've had the same piece of shit phone for over 3 years.
It's thinking...
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle »

I was going to post an obligatory anti-gadget respones, but figured "what's the point?". Here's my phone.

It works and I don't have to worry about dropping it.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Got one last night, and initially I wasn't too excited until I held one. After I played around with it before the store opened, I was sold. Dated hardware? EDGE may be old, but it is working fine for web pages. I've been playing with it all day, and having a full web browser (I realy don't even notice the absence of flash) is really awesome. Google Maps is near instant on EDGE as well. I can completely see why they picked this over 3G, because of battery life and the fact that 3g (well in america at least) is only in major cities). I took it out to the suburb I grew up and got same speeds (ending up to be about 25 kilobytes a second -- fine for browsing). As for people wanting obscene sized hard drives? Uh... last time I checked, a 32gb flash solid state drive cost upwards of $400 just for the drive.... that isn't happening anytime soon at all unless flash prices come WAY down.

And as for you guys saying that an interface can't make a "mediocre" phone any better -- guess again. The thing fucking flies in every task, and multitasks with web/email/music even better than a Windows machine.

Yeah, I'm sure that I'll be getting flamed in here for my "fanboyism" and shit like that, but frankly I don't care. The phone is solid, can be upgraded through software updates to add features, and is fast enough for me... so I don't have any problems or qualms spending that much on a phone. This truly is going to replace my laptop (the only reason I had a laptop was for email and web browsing), it's getting an iPod for myself (since I didn't have one), and it's replacing my aging RAZR. Personally I wouldn't pass judgment on it until you've played around with it for a couple days. All ready today I've needed to find directions, find a number through white pages, and email a couple of things all on the go, at times I couldn't have done any of those things before.

Flame on guys, I won't be visiting this thread again.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

CupNoodle wrote:I was going to post an obligatory anti-gadget respones, but figured "what's the point?". Here's my phone.

It works and I don't have to worry about dropping it.
Yours is better than mine :)

Image :P

the thing won't die, though... i've dropped it a million times and on prom night i was wasted and throwing it at the wall over and over again
It's thinking...