I might be a trucker for a year or two...

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I might be a trucker for a year or two...

Post by MulletMan13 »

Hey guys,

I've given this a LOT of thought and figured that while I'm young in my life I might as well take advantage of the opportunities brought to me.

Well I love driving and seeing the country, and I noticed that you can partner up with a friend/family member your entire session. Teams earn a bonus per mile and truckers can earn up to 57/65k in their first year.

Now I'm not talking about doing this for my entire life, but I figured it'd be a really fun way to pay off student loans... also I'd get a nice HD Digital camera with a MacBook Pro and essentially document my entire time. I really can't see any downsides to doing this for the first year or two outside of college... it'd be an awesome time with good friends, but social life might struggle a bit.

Thoughts?
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Re: I might be a trucker for a year or two...

Post by mrandyk »

My dad has been a part time trucker my entire life, if you are planning to do this full time then good luck. It is lonely as hell, boring as hell, and a lot of times you will find yourself sitting around for days at a time waiting for a load to come in on weekends and several hours even during the week on most ocassions. During the winter you will get snowbound for days at a time, and when you are able to move again it wont be very fast and the road conditions will be terrible.

As for sightseeing your locations either have to be acessible by your giant truck, or you have to be ready to walk a ways.

Another complaint I have about trucking is how expensive the food is, if you are expecting a good meal in one of those truck stop cafes you are going to be paying much more than you should.

I wouldnt recomend it unless you have been around the trucking business to know what to expect, it is definitly good money but lonely and boring as hell. A labtop is a must have when trucking to keep boredom away while sitting in your truck waiting for something, anything to do.
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly

Post by JellyWarrior »

As long as you're cut out for that kind of thing good luck to you!
Just don't get a job for one of those companies who push their drivers too far.
I am involved in : Mytalk | Comet TV | Distinctive Web Services
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I've been thinking about driving a tow truck for a few years after I graduate. Right now I can't really stand the thought of sitting in an office all day and working at a computer. I too would also only do this for only 2 or 3 years, as I know I don't think I'd want to waste my college time. Right now in my life though I just feel like I want to work outside and really do some manual labor, don't ask me why but I have always loved to work hard for my money.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Be careful. If you graduate and don't immediately get a job in an industry that goes along with what you majored in, you'll have a terrible time getting anyone to look at your resume in that industry. I've seen it happen to several people.
WhtCastle
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by WhtCastle »

Oh. Working with trucking all the time; my best advice is this: Get shower shoes.

*edit* AND I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU EVER GIVE ME THE TRUCKER WAVE SO HELP ME I WILL BE NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT.
/WhtCastle