Republicans Love Torture

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Republicans Love Torture

Post by DaMadFiddler »

From the GOP Presidential debate, hosted by Fox News:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPd9yjvF7Mw

This is truly frightening. I don't think I even *NEED* to explain the many, many things wrong with this, and where it would inevitably end up.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

The host asked about enhanced interrogation and Giulianni specifically said "not torture." :roll:

Hard work, 9/11, why do you hate America, etc.

<edit>
And may I add, Image
</edit>
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Oh, right. "Enhanced interrogation."

Sorry; I forgot that things aren't as bad if you rename them.
zman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by zman »

What torture...

I don't see any heads rolling on the floor...

The prisoners are not made to watch old episodes of Survivor. Com' on its' all good.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I'm not sure which reveals more about the mindset: the responses, or the idea that the scenario was especially plausible to begin with.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

zman wrote:What torture...

I don't see any heads rolling on the floor...

The prisoners are not made to watch old episodes of Survivor. Com' on its' all good.
Decapitation isn't torture. That's called execution.

Waterboarding is torture. I don't see how it can possibly be argued that it isn't. Is it not because it doesn't leave permenant physical damage? In other words, could they also rip out fingernails and use bamboo shoots?
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

Would using a ducking stool be considered torture by you?
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

remember the only way to get top secret information from your enemies that could save the life of hundreds of people is to ask nicely and say please. if they don't tell you what you need to know they are obviously poor innocent victims.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Covar wrote:remember the only way to get top secret information from your enemies that could save the life of hundreds of people is to ask nicely and say please. if they don't tell you what you need to know they are obviously poor innocent victims.
And natually, anything they say if tortured is clearly 100% actionable information and couldn't possibly be a waste of your time produced by someone whose #1 concern is saying anything they think will get the torture to stop.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

I dont know why we dont just give them truth serum then question them.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

SuperMegatron wrote:I dont know why we dont just give them truth serum then question them.
Probably because there's no such thing as a real "truth serum", just drugs that make it more difficult to lie coherently.
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

Covar wrote:remember the only way to get top secret information from your enemies that could save the life of hundreds of people is to ask nicely and say please. if they don't tell you what you need to know they are obviously poor innocent victims.
Turn it around: If it's morally OK for us to torture one of them to save hundreds of our lives, then we can't complain when they torture one of our guys to save hundreds of their lives.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Roofus wrote:
Turn it around: If it's morally OK for us to torture one of them to save hundreds of our lives, then we can't complain when they torture one of our guys to save hundreds of their lives.
Fairs fair.

It's also been proven that information gathered from torture is never accurate and is basically worthless. Anyone will say anything to save their ass unless they're determined. From what I've read about detainees being released they constantly used tactics that have their friends ratting them out (when they wouldn't and couldn't because they were essentially civilians with no ties to anything military) and pictures where they point to a random guy, say it is them, then keep repeating this process with a mix up to hopefully get a confession out of them, real or not.

The Geneva convention denies torture, our constitution denies torture. If you can't accept the latter you aren't an American and should promptly report for deportation. The constitution stands above all.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Egotistical EvilN wrote:Would using a ducking stool be considered torture by you?
Depends on how it is used. But generally yes. They've killed people with them before.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.