Video Out on a Semi-old Laptop

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Video Out on a Semi-old Laptop

Post by Sir Savant » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:05 pm

Well, just a little while ago I was sitting at my couch complaining about the horrid television programming I have (stupid Public Television never has anything interesting). Then I remembered that my Toshiba 7200CTe has video-out on the docking station. Specifically, RCA.

I then quickly connected the TV and the Docking Station and looked into the Display Options. Nothing. It does have something for an extra monitor, but that is for the 15-Pin out.

Searching online, I see no possible drivers for Video, save for ones made for Windows 2000.

Any Linux Laptop pages either are dead or have no relevant info to what I am trying to do (I wouldn't care if I needed Linux, as I have a partition with Debian installed anyways).

Toshiba's website does not have any display drivers for WinXP.

So my question for anyone who might know is exactly how I would go about fixing my predicament. Would it be worthwhile for me to install Win2K, or are there other options? Hints? Ideas?
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by neoak » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:22 am

What video card is it? WinXP has its own drivers for old video cards.
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly

Post by JellyWarrior » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:18 am

I use my laptop with BOTH a secondary monitor AND TV all the time, in Windows XP it's extremely simple, and this should also apply to Windows 2000.

> Bring up "Display Properties" and select the "Settings" tab.

> Do this:
* Click the image of the secondary monitor and drag it somewhere else around the main monitor (ideally, place it in a similar location as the physical location of the TV compared to your laptop).
* Click "Yes" in the dialogue which asks is you want to enable the monitor
OR DO THIS
* Click the monitor with the "2" in it to select it
* Put a check in "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor"
* Click the "Apply" button

> Now if your display drivers do their job properly your monitor should be functioning with a usable resolution

>> If it isn't then just make sure that monitor "2" is selected, and change the "Screen resolution" slider.

> Now you should just be able to drag video windows onto your 2nd monitor by moving the mouse out of your primary screen and in the general direction of the secondary screen.

When you maximise (or make the video full screen) on the secondary monitor it should only take up the TV screen, leaving a perfectly usable primary display for web browsing, etc while the video plays.

I do that all the time, so I KNOW it works on Windows XP.

I hope that does the trick for you.

PS. I am yet to successfully use a secondary monitor with Linux, although it definitely is possible. I think it's because I am using the VERY ncie Beryl desktop composition manager.
I am involved in : Mytalk | Comet TV | Distinctive Web Services
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:46 am

Unfortunately, Windows is retarded and wants to use the same drivers for the secondary monitor and will not allow me to specify 640x480. 800x600 is too big for the secondary monitor.

Is there any way to force a different resolution in Windows?

As for linux, I was experimenting with resolution and it seems Linux does not like resizing the screen and will output blue onto certain parts of the screen at lower resolutions. It also did not allow to make the second screen "RightOf" in the xorg.conf. Maybe I did it wrong.

Any other ideas?
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:33 pm

800x600 is to big for it? Where did you get that thing at, 1987?
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:58 pm

It is just a regular old tv my mom bought I think at Walmart. 640x480 worked on it when I went into linux and output the screen at that resolution.