stick shift issues..

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MulletMan13 »

nymus wrote: On a related note, can anyone offer an opinion on shifting without the clutch. I've driven with a trucker who uses his clutch only at start time. He doesn't use his clutch to shift while driving. He just waits for the right rpm and then cranks (it's not as smooth as clutching) into the next gear. This is spposed to be better for the clutch assembly :?
Er... what?
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

MulletMan13 wrote:
nymus wrote: On a related note, can anyone offer an opinion on shifting without the clutch. I've driven with a trucker who uses his clutch only at start time. He doesn't use his clutch to shift while driving. He just waits for the right rpm and then cranks (it's not as smooth as clutching) into the next gear. This is spposed to be better for the clutch assembly :?
Er... what?
Power shifting isn't very good for the car either.
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

I've really wanted to learn a stick. I tried once with my dad in an old crappy truck, but it didn't go too great. I got the basics down, but I know I'd be horrible if I actually had to drive anywhere in it. Does anyone know how effective a videogame steering wheel could be at teaching manual? Some wheels like the Logitech G25 seem to have a fully functioning 6-speed stick shift and clutch pedal. I wonder which games react in the most realistic way. Like if you can actually stall a car :P . I'd much rather spend the money on a videogame steering wheel then put any extra wear on a stick shift car I buy. I need a new car soon and I'd like to get like a late model camaro, and all the nice ones I see are sticks..plus it would just be cooler to drive a stick, heh.

nymus, my dad has had to drive some big rigs for his work a couple times (even though I don't think he has a commercial truckers license!) and I remember him saying that on one of the trucks the clutch was so worn that he didn't need to press it in to switch gears. I don't think its a matter of being better for the clutch, but that the clutch is worn enough that its become kinda useless. But unless you want to wear out your own clutch, I think you'd better use it!
SadisticSaviorX
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by SadisticSaviorX »

Heh, I think I have the hang of it. I had to take the car into the dealership to have the lojack installed...and vegas is a very crowded place compared to where i live. I did fine on the hills even without using the e-brake..but thanks for the advice. :P
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

SinisterTengu wrote:I've really wanted to learn a stick. I tried once with my dad in an old crappy truck, but it didn't go too great. I got the basics down, but I know I'd be horrible if I actually had to drive anywhere in it. Does anyone know how effective a videogame steering wheel could be at teaching manual? Some wheels like the Logitech G25 seem to have a fully functioning 6-speed stick shift and clutch pedal. I wonder which games react in the most realistic way. Like if you can actually stall a car :P . I'd much rather spend the money on a videogame steering wheel then put any extra wear on a stick shift car I buy. I need a new car soon and I'd like to get like a late model camaro, and all the nice ones I see are sticks..plus it would just be cooler to drive a stick, heh.
I doubt it'd be able to teach you at all, as you won't learn to tell when a clutch catches, when to give it gas or clutch, etc.