Future Careers

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Future Careers

Post by Synlor »

I'm closing on the end of my high school career in a about 2 months now, so I can't help thinking about the future. Mind you I probably shouldnt' be thinking about the future, as I have a month worth of make up homework I still need to do, but thats not the point. I really don't have to make any decisions now, as I'm sure I have plenty of time to decide. I've already been accepeted to college (University of Nebraska-Lincoln), so thats nothing to worry about right now.

Since elementary school I've been interested in electronics. I've played around with my fair share of differant things whether they be simple amusements or fairly complex projects. The problem is, practically anything I try does not work. I can do the very basic stuff, but beyond that I am simply not good at it. This all leads to me getting frustrated to the point where I simply don't want to bother with it anymore and I take month long breaks away from the hobby in general. I've been thinking of majoring in Electrical Engineering for a long time now, but even though I do enjoy the subject I still struggle with it. Right now the plan is to major in E.E. and Computer Engineering at college.

Just recently I really have become interested in medicine. Probably doesn't help that I was in the hospital for awhile surrounded by it, but I really think it would be an enjoyable career. I understand I can still major in E.E. like planned and still be on a premed course, so I think I am leaning towards that option. If I chose an area to go into, it definately would be surgery. It is simly fascinating what a surgeon can do and how he or she can help people, and I would love to be able to do that. My fear is that by the time I'm done with med school and residency, that I realize I don't want to do this the rest of my life. I don't really want to devote ~10 years of my life and $200,000 to something I don't enjoy.

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone here had any thoughts or ideas concerning career choices in general or anything specific to my case. I definatly don't have to decide for around two more years, but I still want to have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to be doing 10 years from now.
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

i think anything to do with robotics will soon pay off. with the military starting to use them now among other civilian things.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Can never go wrong being a man whore.

On a slightly more serious note you're best off going to a community college and getting some cheap general education requirements out of the way. Gives you a few years to think while getting somewhere.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Don't go to college with a major in mind. Terrible idea. You'll get dissapointed pretty quickly.

In my opinion. Go a term or two. Take your gen eds. And see whats really open to you at that point.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

Wagh wrote:Don't go to college with a major in mind. Terrible idea. You'll get dissapointed pretty quickly.
why? i went in knowing i wanted computer science, and i love it. i've known what i want to do with my life since the 8th grade, why should i have wasted over a year on general education. hell my best classes (and grades) so far have been my comp sci courses.

if you know what major you want go for it. don't wait around just because your school wants to get more money out of you.
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

Covar wrote:
Wagh wrote:Don't go to college with a major in mind. Terrible idea. You'll get dissapointed pretty quickly.
why should i have wasted over a year on general education.
Because is a requirement in the curriculum.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Covar wrote:
why? i went in knowing i wanted computer science, and i love it.
Because you're in the minority. I've only known 1 person besides you that's gone into college knowing exactly what they want.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I am in a similiar situation, with the exception of being slightly older. During high school, I had various ideas as to what kind of career I wanted to get into: electronic; computer based, etc. Yet, instead, I worked various dead end jobs, spent some time at a communtity college, and even endured a good amount of time in basic training with the army.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

I wouldn't go into the medical field. The dems are going to socialize healthcare and to keep costs down they will cut the salary of doctors and nurses like canada did.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

SuperMegatron wrote:The dems are going to socialize healthcare
No, they're not. Last I heard, even real single-payer is considered to be somewhat fringe. Actual socialized medicine hasn't even been seriously proposed as far as I know, let alone adopted as a goal by the party.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

SuperMegatron wrote:I wouldn't go into the medical field. The dems are going to socialize healthcare and to keep costs down they will cut the salary of doctors and nurses like canada did.
So he shouldn't go into one of the most rewarding career fields because there will be salary cuts in the future? You are honestly one of the most selfish people I've ever met.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

ace wrote:So he shouldn't go into one of the most rewarding career fields because there will be salary cuts in the future? You are honestly one of the most selfish people I've ever met.
Selfish? Here is a fact it cost a lot to live. Most people take jobs solely based on there salary. Thats why there is a shortage of good teachers. They can make more in other fields. Its not selfish its life. You're in Canada do you ever wonder why there is so many foreign doctors there? Wouldn't it be more rewarding for them to work in the 3rd world? They want a better life style so they move. For every 1 doctor that does it to help people there are a 100 others who do it solely to get a nice house in the hills with a benz in the driveway.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

SuperMegatron wrote:I wouldn't go into the medical field. The dems are going to socialize healthcare and to keep costs down they will cut the salary of doctors and nurses like canada did.
Sure, a true healthcare reform would decrease doctors' salaries; however, a true reform would also get rid of the need for doctors to pay over 100k/yr on malpractice insurance.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

SuperMegatron wrote:For every 1 doctor that does it to help people there are a 100 others who do it solely to get a nice house in the hills with a benz in the driveway.
Nice stat. Got something to back it up? If you aren't interested in helping people, you aren't going to become a doctor. NO ONE spends 10 years in school and in excess of $250,000 just so they can have a nice house and a $90,000 car in the driveway.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

ace wrote: NO ONE spends 10 years in school and in excess of $250,000 just so they can have a nice house and a $90,000 car in the driveway.
ace wrote:Nice stat. Got something to back it up?
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

SuperMegatron wrote:
ace wrote: NO ONE spends 10 years in school and in excess of $250,000 just so they can have a nice house and a $90,000 car in the driveway.
If anything that refutes your claim.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

I base my claim on the percentage of doctors to people in the US when compared to the rest of the western world. You will see that America has a higher number of doctors, why is this? America doesn't have a socialized healthcare system so doctors make more money and demand for that money drives people to become doctors.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

SuperMegatron wrote:I base my claim on the percentage of doctors to people in the US when compared to the rest of the western world. You will see that America has a higher number of doctors, why is this? America doesn't have a socialized healthcare system so doctors make more money and demand for that money drives people to become doctors.
Where do you get your figures? From your ass perhaps?
A few fries short of a happy meal.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

APE wrote:
SuperMegatron wrote:I base my claim on the percentage of doctors to people in the US when compared to the rest of the western world. You will see that America has a higher number of doctors, why is this? America doesn't have a socialized healthcare system so doctors make more money and demand for that money drives people to become doctors.
Where do you get your figures? From your ass perhaps?
http://globalis.gvu.unu.edu/indicator_d ... catorid=37

That allows you to see the number of doctors per 1000 . Look at the US and any other western country and you will see we have more doctors.

This article shows that the number of US doctors giving free care is declining.Thus backing up my greed theory. If as Ace suggested doctors were doing this to help people then it should be on the increase. The majority of doctors do seem to give some free care but that drop is substantial.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02052.html
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

butters wrote:
SuperMegatron wrote:
If anything that refutes your claim.
Not really. My statement is simply logic. SuperMegatron just made some figures up.