Installing a sub woofer

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Installing a sub woofer

Post by DuffMan »

I have some sub woofers laying around my room that I would like to put in my car. The car is a 2002 Subaru Forester, everything I have in the car is stock and would like to know if it is possible to install one into the car my just taking the stereo out and wiring it directly into the stereo. Or if it will require a custom deck.
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
SlammedNiss
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by SlammedNiss »

You'll need an amplifier. But, you can use the existing OEM radio if you find an amp with speaker-level inputs and a built in crossover.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

Ya I do have an Amp aswell, not sure if it has a built in cross over though. Would it be clearly marked on the Amp itself? And if it doesn't, how much would one cost?
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

The cost depends on the quality. It also depends on the speaker. How many watts does it take RMS? Never look at max watts, always look at RMS.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

The subs will need to be in a properly designed box if they aren't already. The subs get connected to an amp which has a direct line to your battery as well as your stereo. Normally at the stereo you'd connect to a sub pre-amp, however most stock head units don't have that, so it gets a little more complicated like what SlammedNiss described. Though I would think that nearly all sub amps have built in cross-overs. The wiring would just be different and you'll have to fiddle with the amps gain. Most aftermarket head units over $150 will have a sub pre-amp. Circuit City actually has my head unit the Pioneer DEHP4800MP on sale for $137 this week, which has preamps for fronts, backs, and subs. I use the head unit to power my fronts and backs though, and only use the sub preamp. Its a decent headunit, plays mp3s, displays CD text, etc. I'm also a sucker for large volume knobs (I don't like volume buttons...). I went with this cheaper headunit because the car I drive right now is actually my parents, so I won't be keeping this gear when I buy my own car, but it really is a nice headunit.

Also, to find the crossover and gain knobs on your amp, look around a bit. Mine are actually hidden under a metal cap on the side that can only be removed after a screw is taken out. Crossover should generally be set at 100hz or less depending on the size of your subs and stuff. Unless they are small like 8's or something, then maybe you could put it at 130hz. Just don't expect much low end from subs that small. I find that my two 12s don't always produce the lowest notes loud enough. My next subs will be high-excursion performing ones..
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

Ya I actually have 2 12 inch subs, preinstalled in boxes already. I found the gain knob on my amp, no problem, but I don't see any thing about a crossover, I just looked up my amp on the net and it says it does have a built in crossover, just no idea where it is.