Silly Bluetooth Question

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Silly Bluetooth Question

Post by DaMadFiddler »

So it occurs to me that my MacBook Pro, which I've had for about nine months now, contains a Bluetooth module which has largely gone to waste over the last nine months. The *only* thing I use it for is syncing my PDA when I'm feeling too lazy to find the USB cable.

Recently, I have finished ripping all my CDs and DVDs into iTunes. Since doing this, I've found that I use the computer for music more often than the actual CDs. However, the integrated speakers are vastly inferior to home theater I have sitting across the room.

Since my computer is a laptop, I tend to move around a lot with it, which makes running a cord between my computer and my receiver rather cumbersome. So I got to thinking.

Is there an inexpensive device I could use that would plug into one of my receiver's inputs that would receive an audio stream via Bluetooth and output it through RCA jacks?

Furthermore, can I set the computer to output the audio via Bluetooth? I can't seem to find an option for it either in iTunes or in the System Preferences panel, but I may not be looking in the right place.

I know Bluetooth headphones are big these days, so I don't see why this would be much different. Basically what I'm envisioning is an option to switch my computer's audio out to a Bluetooth signal (using the built-in module), which would then be picked up by a cheap receiver box connected to one of the audio ins on my stereo.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

I'm interested in this as I have the exact same setup...

but I despise bluetooth and think it's too finnicky to maintain a proper bandwidth connection (It is, but my experiences with bluetooth [other than wii remotes] has been finnicky).
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

In theory an A2DP Bluetooth receiver should work but apparently Apple don't support A2DP so you're out of luck unless you use a 3rd party bluetooth stack, I guess. Do those even exist for MacOS? :?