Homemade gifts?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
MetalGearRay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Homemade gifts?

Post by MetalGearRay » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:28 pm

Does anyone have any ideas for homemade gifts for, uh, someone you're "talking to"? Or maybe just people in general. You know, maybe something I could do on the computer, print out, glue together, burn onto a cd/dvd, anything.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:34 pm

hemp bracelets?
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie
Has liked: 7 times

Re: Homemade gifts?

Post by Juan » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:53 pm

If you want to give a present that's not too "out there", you're better off buying something cheap than making it yourself.

Personally, I'd find it tacky (unless it came from a 5 year old).
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:34 am

Like Juan said, in order for it not too look tacky, you need skills...

If you can pull it off, you'll impress the ladies. I know calligraphy, and a card I make beats a Hallmark any day of the week, but it takes time to learn, and getting the equipment.

Otherwise, she will be amused, and even charmed, but she'll put the card in a shoebox and never show it to anyone.

Basically, that kind of gift must look like something very personal and involved, not as a way of weaseling out of buying a "real" gift.

To show you I'm not talking out of my butt, here's a little something I'm whipping up for a dear female acquaintance of mine, who loves all things Celtic:

That's actually done on a scrap piece of drywall, with paint and ink, and the golden bits are real gold-leaf, think "Reynolds-Wrap made out of real gold".

And it was cheap, regarding costs, but it does take a lot of time... it sure beats a crappy perfume bottle...
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
ccb_v2
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Lightbulb Snowman Ornament

Post by ccb_v2 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:08 am

Lightbulb Snowman Ornament

Old lightbulbs can be used for many different ornaments. This project brings you a whimsical snowman all bundled up, ready for a cold winter's day.

You Will Need

• burnt out light bulb
    rubbing alcohol
    white acrylic paint
    gold cord or ribbon
    child's sock
    scrap material
    two buttons
    4 toothpicks
    fiberfil cotton batting
    hot glue
    scissors
    black marker
Instructions

Wipe bulb down with rubbing alcohol, this will help the paint adhere to the bulb. Let dry.

Paint entire light bulb with white acrylic paint and let dry. Apply a second coat. If finish appears streaked, you can use a large paint brush or a sponge to blot on a "stucco" look. It is not necessary to paint the socket. Allow bulb to dry completely.

While bulb is drying, cut off the ribbing from the child's sock. Roll up a brim at one end and tie off the other end with gold ribbon or cord, tie in a bow. Leave about half an inch of sock above ribbon for the fluffy top, fringe ends. Add a bit of Fiberfil to the inside of the hat. Cut a tiny square of fabric and glue to the front brim of the hat.

From the remaining material on the sock, cut a rectangle, about 2 inches wide and 1 1/2 inches long. Place a small amount of Fiberfil in the center, roll up jelly roll style and glue together. Glue ends closed. Take one of the toothpicks and carefully cut/break in half. Insert pointed side of each toothpick into the muff on either side. Once light bulb is dry, glue the muff to the belly of the bulb, below the neck and above the fattest part of the bulb. Glue the toothpicks to the bulb.

Using another toothpick, cut into fourths. Using the sections that do not have pointed ends, glue to the toothpick arms that are already in place on the bulb. This will create the elbow to the shoulder. Glue to the elbow and to the bulb (see photo for guide).

Fit hat snugly over socket of light bulb and glue in place.

To create the hanger, tie a long piece of ribbon into a loop. With the hanging ends, tie around the hat underneath the brim (roll it down out of your way). Loop tie should be positioned at the back of the hat. Tie ribbon tight and snip off extra ends. Roll brim back up to cover ribbon.

Fashion a scarf from scrap material and tie carefully around neck, glue in place. Fringe ends of scarf with scissors. Glue two buttons to belly area, tuck top button underneath muff halfway. With one of the remaining pointed toothpicks that you cut into fourths, glue on for nose. Carefully dot on eyes with black marker. Hang!
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:25 am

I make fudge. It's not a hard recipe it just takes lots of time. A few good batches of that and everyone you give it to will be happy.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:26 pm

This year, I made everyone in my family an intaglio print of the Smokey Mountains that was based on a sketch I made on my honeymoon while sitting on a hill in Cades Cove. It turned out quite nice, though I tried to aquatint color onto it which gave some unsatisfactory results in areas, but overall it worked fine.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:12 pm

FETUS wrote:I make fudge. It's not a hard recipe it just takes lots of time. A few good batches of that and everyone you give it to will be happy.
Do you pack it yourself? hard to resist that one really
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:31 pm

Another idea is a very good quality framed and mounted print of a photo you've taken, if you're a competent photographer.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Hawke
Wastelander

Post by Hawke » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:30 pm

For my gf's parents, I've acquired pics of each of their family members. I'm going to scan in their portraits and photocrop them onto a dollar bill (instead of the prime minister (yes Canada) its going to be them) and instead of the dollar value, it will be all their ages (With the exception of the parents, it'll be how long they've been married). Print them all out to scale, and frame them.
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:28 pm

Hawq wrote:
FETUS wrote:I make fudge. It's not a hard recipe it just takes lots of time. A few good batches of that and everyone you give it to will be happy.
Do you pack it yourself? hard to resist that one really
Well to get fudge as good as mine I do ask for a small "favour".