Parents Battle School Officials Over Cell Phone

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Parents Battle School Officials Over Cell Phone

Post by Roofus »

Charges of larceny against two Carter County school officials have been sent to the district attorney's office for consideration of prosecution. Parents of a Lone Grove High School student say the superintendent and the high school principal will not release property that belongs to them. KTEN's Andrea Kurys has the story.

The property in question is a cell phone. The parents say they the phone back, but they were forced to file a complaint after school officials refused return the cell phone.

The cell phone was confiscated from the student last week after it rang in the middle of class. The teacher thought the ringing of the phone interrupted the classwork, and took the phone to the principal's office. When the student's parents went to the school to get it back, they were told it was school policy to hold the phone for five days. The mother of the student, Yvonne Walker, was upset because she says the phone is used in case of an emergency.

"He's 16, he's got a new job and I worry about him on the road," said Walker. "His father worries about him on the road, he's supposed to contact us."

Mr. Walker said, "That's why I got the cell phone for him. For his protection and for him to stay in touch with me and it's not doing him or me a bit of good if the school has it."

Walker says she was treated with disrespect by the principal and the superintendent. She contacted the Lone Grove police department, who sent an officer to the school. Captain Scott Lang said, "I attempted to get the situation resolved, couldn't reach a resolution to it. I ended up having to do a report on it."

That report was sent to the District Attorney's office for consideration of larceny charges against the school officials. The student's parents say the situation could have been resolved much easier.

"I understand that they need to discipline the kids and he was wrong, and he understands that he was wrong and he should be disciplined at home, and we will do that," said Ms. Walker.

"I want the policy changed for any student, any parent," said Mr. Walker. "They should have the right to come pick up their cell phone. The superintendent says he's just following school policy."

Hear the other side to the story. Click on "Superintendent Speaks Out Against Criminal Charges."

Andrea Kurys, KTEN News.

Link
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I agree with the school and the way they handled things. When my brother was still in high school, he had his mp3 player taken away several times becase he was listening to it during lunch.

The parents need to stop setting a bad example for their son and abide by the school's rules..and they also need to stop bitching and acting as if the rules don't apply to them and their precious son. If they're that damn proctective of their son to the point that they worry about him during class, they need to let it go.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

If its for emergencies then why isn't it on vibrate so he can make sure its a legit call? At my HS they'd take away your cell phone and make your parents come get it. When I was a senior they made everyone register their serial so noone could steal them, as if that would actually work. Now in college they just want it on vibrate or off but the instructors I've had so far really don't care unless it becomes habitual, in which case they can't really do too much as you've paid for the class and I'm relatively certain can't just kick you out for the fun of it.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Remember for cell phones when people were not this over protective? You could leave the home all day and not be bugged. Grand old days.
B-RAD
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by B-RAD »

3>Ape
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

APE wrote:If its for emergencies then why isn't it on vibrate so he can make sure its a legit call? At my HS they'd take away your cell phone and make your parents come get it. When I was a senior they made everyone register their serial so noone could steal them, as if that would actually work. Now in college they just want it on vibrate or off but the instructors I've had so far really don't care unless it becomes habitual, in which case they can't really do too much as you've paid for the class and I'm relatively certain can't just kick you out for the fun of it.
I've seen professors actually grab the phone and answer it. Got to be embarrassing.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

I think the parents are doing whats within their abilities. The school is the one refusing to be sane.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

butters wrote:I've seen professors actually grab the phone and answer it. Got to be embarrassing.
I had a teacher who did that. Extra-embarassing for girls, since it was usually their boyfriends calling.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

Wagh wrote:I think the parents are doing whats within their abilities. The school is the one refusing to be sane.
Agreed. Overprotective or not, it is the rightful property of the parents and they should be able to get ahold of it if they want it.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

the article wrote:The teacher thought the ringing of the phone interrupted the classwork, and took the phone to the principal's office.
thought the phone ringing interrupted class? of course it inturrupts the class. also the kid was a dumbass who should have had it on silent (even vibrate can be noisy sometimes).

maybe if the phone is simply for emergency's they should get him a migo: