For those with iTunes (a library poll)

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.

How do you organize multi-albums in your iTunes library?

I have the album title the same for all discs to keep them all in the same section.
33%
I have each disc seperated by disc number.
67%

Total votes: 6
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

For those with iTunes (a library poll)

Post by Luriden » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:39 pm

For those of you with iTunes, how do you organize multi-disc albums, such as The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness, The Beatles - White Album, Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium, etc.? Do you, for example, label both discs as the album title to put them all in one section and one album on your iPod, or do you label them as "White Album - Disc 1" and "White Album - Disc 2" and so on?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by |darc| » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:47 pm

iTunes lets you tag disc numbers. Both discs get the same title, but the discs get tagged as 1 and 2...

That's how it's supposed to be...
It's thinking...
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:34 pm

Darcus Magnus wrote:iTunes lets you tag disc numbers. Both discs get the same title, but the discs get tagged as 1 and 2...

I know, but I mean do you prefer, for example, going to Pink Floyd on your iPod and seeing The Wall - Disc 1 and The Wall - Disc 2 in the album list other than just The Wall with all the songs thrown in there in order?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:45 pm

Freaky Keneaki wrote:
Darcus Magnus wrote:iTunes lets you tag disc numbers. Both discs get the same title, but the discs get tagged as 1 and 2...

I know, but I mean do you prefer, for example, going to Pink Floyd on your iPod and seeing The Wall - Disc 1 and The Wall - Disc 2 in the album list other than just The Wall with all the songs thrown in there in order?
Why should they be separated? They're part of the same album. The medium they come on is irrelevant. I mean, Dark Side of the Moon originally came on a record; I don't put Dark Side of the Moon - Side A and Dark Side of the Moon - Side B on my iPod.

So yeah, I go to Music > Artists > Pink Floyd > The Wall > and I have a full list of 26 tracks in their proper order. Especially with an album like The Wall, where the songs are meant to be played in order.
It's thinking...
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:23 pm

Darcus Magnus wrote:
Freaky Keneaki wrote:

Why should they be separated? They're part of the same album. The medium they come on is irrelevant. I mean, Dark Side of the Moon originally came on a record; I don't put Dark Side of the Moon - Side A and Dark Side of the Moon - Side B on my iPod.

So yeah, I go to Music > Artists > Pink Floyd > The Wall > and I have a full list of 26 tracks in their proper order. Especially with an album like The Wall, where the songs are meant to be played in order.
I think that is what he means, if you tag it that way will is put disc 1 in the correct order, and also will it put it before disc 2 on the player.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:49 pm

Thomas wrote:
Darcus Magnus wrote:
Freaky Keneaki wrote:

I think that is what he means, if you tag it that way will is put disc 1 in the correct order, and also will it put it before disc 2 on the player.
Right, but if it works that way, then I don't see why anyone would tag the album as "The Wall - Disk 1"
It's thinking...
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:13 am

Darcus Magnus wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Darcus Magnus wrote:
Freaky Keneaki wrote:

Right, but if it works that way, then I don't see why anyone would tag the album as "The Wall - Disk 1"
Some people like strange tags?
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:17 am

I prefer leaving off the disc # (and having it in the designated tag), but last.FM and Musicbrainz, last I checked, add the "disc N" or whatever their style guidlines call for to the album name. So I have a mix of both, because.
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:05 pm

I used to label them in the actual title, but then I had the same revelation that darc just mentioned, and ever since have separated them by disc # inside the tag.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:04 pm

I just use Musicbrainz to tag my stuff. Sometimes it screws up, but I rarely correct it.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:05 pm

i hadn't realized there was a tag for the disc number.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:45 pm

I take the Disc number off for say live stuff that spans over to two discs. But stuff like compilations, I wont always want to listen to both discs (or more, i have a Zeppelin box set with about six discs to it) in one sitting or even numerical order, so i'll leave the disc numbers in the album title so they are easier to sort through in the iTunes browser.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:13 pm

I usually seperate discs in the filename, not the tag. Example

101-band_name-song_title
201-""
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:20 pm

Thomas wrote:I usually seperate discs in the filename, not the tag. Example

101-band_name-song_title
201-""

When I used to sort filenames myself, I'd do Music/Band Name/Album Title/Disc#Track#.TrackTitle.Ext

Ex: Music/Pink Floyd/The Wall/204.Vera.flac
It's thinking...