Salt-Water Fish Extinction Seen By 2048

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Strapping Scherzo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:23 am

(WebMD) The apocalypse has a new date: 2048.

That's when the world's oceans will be empty of fish, predicts an international team of ecologists and economists. The cause: the disappearance of species due to overfishing, pollution, habitat loss, and climate change.

The study by Boris Worm, PhD, of Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia, -- with colleagues in the U.K., U.S., Sweden, and Panama -- was an effort to understand what this loss of ocean species might mean to the world.

The researchers analyzed several different kinds of data. Even to these ecology-minded scientists, the results were an unpleasant surprise.

"I was shocked and disturbed by how consistent these trends are -- beyond anything we suspected," Worm says in a news release.

"This isn't predicted to happen. This is happening now," study researcher Nicola Beaumont, PhD, of the Plymouth Marine Laboratory, U.K., says in a news release.

"If biodiversity continues to decline, the marine environment will not be able to sustain our way of life. Indeed, it may not be able to sustain our lives at all," Beaumont adds.

Already, 29% of edible fish and seafood species have declined by 90% -- a drop that means the collapse of these fisheries.

But the issue isn't just having seafood on our plates. Ocean species filter toxins from the water. They protect shorelines. And they reduce the risks of algae blooms such as the red tide.

"A large and increasing proportion of our population lives close to the coast; thus the loss of services such as flood control and waste detoxification can have disastrous consequences," Worm and colleagues say.

The researchers analyzed data from 32 experiments on different marine environments.

They then analyzed the 1,000-year history of 12 coastal regions around the world, including San Francisco and Chesapeake bays in the U.S., and the Adriatic, Baltic, and North seas in Europe.

Next, they analyzed fishery data from 64 large marine ecosystems.

And finally, they looked at the recovery of 48 protected ocean areas.

Their bottom line: Everything that lives in the ocean is important. The diversity of ocean life is the key to its survival. The areas of the ocean with the most different kinds of life are the healthiest.

But the loss of species isn't gradual. It's happening fast -- and getting faster, the researchers say.

Worm and colleagues call for sustainable fisheries management, pollution control, habitat maintenance, and the creation of more ocean reserves.

This, they say, isn't a cost; it's an investment that will pay off in lower insurance costs, a sustainable fish industry, fewer natural disasters, human health, and more.

"It's not too late. We can turn this around," Worm says. "But less than 1% of the global ocean is effectively protected right now."

Worm and colleagues report their findings in the Nov. 3 issue of Science
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:43 am

That's when the world's oceans will be empty of fish, predicts an international team of ecologists and economists.
I'm going to have to call horse shit on that one. I think we'd be hard pressed to wipe out ALL the fish no matter what we do.

That seems to be the articles extrapolation though, not the actual researchers.

And BTW, this is yet another problem solved by a 6 billion person reduction in the human population.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:32 am

Overfishing we can control. Lay the smackdown on the fishing industry. Boo fucking hoo if your lively hood depends on fish. Someones lively hood once depended on cutting rocks to build the pyramids of Egypt. Find something else to make money off that doesn't ruin the world for the rest of us.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:10 pm

Lartrak wrote:
That's when the world's oceans will be empty of fish, predicts an international team of ecologists and economists.
I'm going to have to call horse shit on that one. I think we'd be hard pressed to wipe out ALL the fish no matter what we do.

That seems to be the articles extrapolation though, not the actual researchers.

And BTW, this is yet another problem solved by a 6 billion person reduction in the human population.
If people would stop having so many kids we wouldn't have to worry about population. I have often though how many people there would be if Males didn't enjoy sex. I figure it would be about half of what it is today.

It does seem like now adays people are having less kids. I mean it was nothing back in the early 1900's for people to have 8 kids. Now adays it seems like the average family has 2 or 3. OF course this is just in America, I guess some of the other countries are having just as many as ever.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:45 pm

The parents should be shot and their kids sterilized as to not bring the idea of 15 kids a piece into this fucking world. They keep getting attention on TV, basically they're fundies++ who don't let their kids do anything terribly individual and home school them. The entire time they act happy and joyous but I'm sure the oldest guy wants to get out into the world and find him some tail.

They all pretty much wear the same clothes and have the same insane naming system. All starting with J or some shit. From the looks of things they probably live off welfare as I don't see any way for their father to possibly make enough money to afford building the hugeass house they were at one point and buy the metric shitload of food they need per week. If they are on welfare, it should be cut off and them told to fuck off for having so many kids and making the tax payers pay for your own inability to grasp how to use a condom.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:04 pm

APE wrote:Image

The parents should be shot and their kids sterilized as to not bring the idea of 15 kids a piece into this fucking world. They keep getting attention on TV, basically they're fundies++ who don't let their kids do anything terribly individual and home school them. The entire time they act happy and joyous but I'm sure the oldest guy wants to get out into the world and find him some tail.

They all pretty much wear the same clothes and have the same insane naming system. All starting with J or some shit. From the looks of things they probably live off welfare as I don't see any way for their father to possibly make enough money to afford building the hugeass house they were at one point and buy the metric shitload of food they need per week. If they are on welfare, it should be cut off and them told to fuck off for having so many kids and making the tax payers pay for your own inability to grasp how to use a condom.
so much hate from you, but yet they are the problem ????

go look in a mirror.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
bizzle

Post by bizzle » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:00 pm

pavelbure wrote:so much hate from you, but yet they are the problem ????

go look in a mirror.
I guess you don't remember these choice pieces;
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewto ... gay#700753
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewto ... gay#577961
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewto ... gay#486087
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:51 pm

Xylene wrote:

go look in a mirror.
Or his sig.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by AuroEdge » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:19 pm

1 billion people rely for their meat source solely on fish so while all fish won't be gone by 2048 most probably will be. The problem lies with the large fishing companies. The simple solution would be to fish less and farm more (fish).
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:02 pm

I have often though how many people there would be if Males didn't enjoy sex. I figure it would be about half of what it is today.
Women enjoy sex too. And both men and women have strong sex drives. I think the entire world needs a "Zero child" policy. But hey, I'm a bit out there on this particular issue. :wink:
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:17 pm

APE wrote:Image

If my family were like that, I'd have escaped when I was 16.

Also reminds me of Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, and the every sperm is scared song.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:55 pm

Lartrak wrote:
I have often though how many people there would be if Males didn't enjoy sex. I figure it would be about half of what it is today.
Women enjoy sex too. And both men and women have strong sex drives. I think the entire world needs a "Zero child" policy. But hey, I'm a bit out there on this particular issue. :wink:
Yea but men like it a lot more. Women can go up to a guy and say "HEys lets have sex" and chances are that guy will be like "HEll yea". If a guy tries that he will be slapped, yelled at, and probably arrested and put in jail for sexual harassment.

Besides it does not matter how much women like it assuming men didn't.
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:25 pm

I don't think any woman at any point in time in the history of the world has gone up to a man and said "Hey, let's have sex". I'm just throwin' that out there.

Edit: Pavelbure is a political stagg
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by |darc| » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:37 pm

Veggita2099 wrote:
Lartrak wrote:
Yea but men like it a lot more. Women can go up to a guy and say "HEys lets have sex" and chances are that guy will be like "HEll yea". If a guy tries that he will be slapped, yelled at, and probably arrested and put in jail for sexual harassment.

Besides it does not matter how much women like it assuming men didn't.
Social roles say that the women shouldn't do that. Trust me, I know a lot of women who absolutely love sex. They like it just as much as men do.
It's thinking...
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:41 pm

Ex-Cyber wrote:
Xylene wrote:

go look in a mirror.
Or his sig.
haha. i must have struck a nerve with some of you. it's ok, your free to criticize normal people and embrace gays and throat cutters. it's a free country after all.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
Liberals click here !!!!
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:59 pm

pavelbure wrote:
Ex-Cyber wrote:
Xylene wrote:

go look in a mirror.
Or his sig.
haha. i must have struck a nerve with some of you. it's ok, your free to criticize normal people and embrace gays and throat cutters. it's a free country after all.
I love normal people, gays, and Muslims. I criticize sad, pathetic haters.

No one said you have to have gay sex, but what the hell difference does it make to you what other people do when you're not around? Grow the fuck up.
It's thinking...
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:01 am

No one said you have to have gay sex, but what the hell difference does it make to you what other people do when you're not around? Grow the fuck up.
That's what I've always wondered about people so opposed to gay people. It's got nothing to do with you, so why do you care? Stop worrying about what other people are doing and concentrate on your own life. Who cares who is fucking who!
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:52 pm

Skynet wrote:
That's what I've always wondered about people so opposed to gay people. It's got nothing to do with you, so why do you care? Stop worrying about what other people are doing and concentrate on your own life. Who cares who is fucking who!
i don't like it. that doesn't mean i have to embrace them. where is the law that says i have to like gays and embrace or never criticize them ? you guys do it all the time, to people you don't like. i just want to be like you. :lol:
Liberals click here !!!!
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:01 pm

pavelbure wrote:
Skynet wrote:
i don't like it. that doesn't mean i have to embrace them. where is the law that says i have to like gays and embrace or never criticize them ? you guys do it all the time, to people you don't like. i just want to be like you. :lol:[/quote
The thing is that "us guys" aren't really trying to force our beliefs onto other people.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:02 pm

pavelbure wrote:
Skynet wrote:
i don't like it. that doesn't mean i have to embrace them. where is the law that says i have to like gays and embrace or never criticize them ? you guys do it all the time, to people you don't like. i just want to be like you. :lol:
No one said you had to embrace it and start having gay sex.

When do we (I never knew we were now an official group, but whatever) outlaw things other people like on the sole basis that we don't like them?
It's thinking...