Firefox 2 Released!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Firefox 2 Released!

Post by mankrip »

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/
Mozilla.com wrote:Mozilla Releases Major Update to Firefox and Raises the Bar for Online Experience

Enhancements to usability, security and customization make Firefox 2 a must-have upgrade for all Web users

MOUNTAIN VIEW, CALIF. ? Oct. 24, 2006 ? - Mozilla today released Firefox? 2, a major update to its popular and acclaimed free, open source Web browser. Firefox is developed by an international community of contributors working together under the umbrella of the Mozilla Foundation, a non-profit, public-benefit organization dedicated to improving the Internet experience for people everywhere.

In less than two years, tens of millions of people worldwide have discovered the easier, faster and safer online experience that Firefox provides. Translated into more than 35 languages at its release, Firefox 2 is available in a native language version for more people around the world than any other Web browser.

Firefox 2 is immediately available for Windows, Mac or Linux operating systems as a free download from http://www.getfirefox.com.

?Firefox 2 delivers the best possible online experience for people today,? said Mitchell Baker, CEO, Mozilla. ?The improvements Mozilla has made to the ease of use, performance, and security in Firefox 2 reflect our ongoing, singular focus on meeting the needs of Web users all over the world.?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

New skin is all I can see... I'll be using it frequently so yea.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

Using it now. Thanks for the heads-up.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Coolness. All my plugins work too. Oooooooh, spellcheck. Dammit I know spellcheck is supposed to be two words...
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

I see there is a build in spell check, thats good, for me at least. :lol:
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

stagg wrote:I see there is a build in spell check, thats good, for me at least. :lol:
Unfortunately, it doesn't prevent people from using the wrong words. :roll:
It's thinking...
SadisticSaviorX
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by SadisticSaviorX »

Im currently using RC3 and there it says there is no updates. :?
Also, when I use the installer...nothing seems to change.. either way Firefox2 is nice! :D
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

I found a... eh... bug? At least it's something I don't like.
The search bar doesn't remember what engine was used last, so whenever I start Firefox, it's on Google.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

One thing that's pissing me off is search words. I usually type "google whoagey" into the address bar to search for whogey on Google, "dict gobbie" to search for gobbie on Answers.com, and "wp Jelawig Archipelago" to pull up the Wikipedia article on the Jelawig Archipelago of the Jelawig Republic. Firefox doesn't do that anymore. All of those will search Google for "google whoagey," "dict gobbie," and "wp Jelawig Archipelago" respectively.

I don't like using the search bar on the right. I'm used to this.

Oh, and alt+s no longer submits on forum posts here on DCEmu.

EDIT: I got the search to work, but alt+s is still broken.
Last edited by |darc| on Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's thinking...
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Darcus Magnus wrote:Oh, and alt+s no longer submits on forum posts here on DCEmu.
Beat me to it.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

SadisticSaviorX wrote:Im currently using RC3 and there it says there is no updates. :?
Also, when I use the installer...nothing seems to change.. either way Firefox2 is nice! :D
I think someone on slashdot pointed out last night (when the "early release" happened) that RC3 and the final Firefox 2 had the exact same MD5 sum, which would mean that they were exactly the same.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Gah, this program isn't compatible with RiteofTougue or Tab Mix Plus.

...er...and it's making weird lines under my words... :?

...oh, it's a spell check. Well, that's kinda cool. Okay, forget the RiteofTongue, but Tab Mix Plus was important too. I would just double click on the tab and it would automatically close that tab, and I could even assign focus depending on how I clicked the tab. It was extremely useful.

One other little gripe. The dotted circle in the top right. It is no longer clickable. I used it to jump me straight to the Mozilla page, but now it does nothing.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

I've had it since this morning, in the download link for 1.5.0.7 if you changed the version from that to 2.0, it worked.

but i haven't noticed any issues yet...except spiderzilla isnt supported.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

The new skin is nice, and it feels faster.

I like how I can middle click the magnifying glass in the search bar to open the search in a new tab.

Haven't noticed much else. Thanks for the heads up Fragger. :D
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

You're right. It is noticeably faster. Interesting...
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

It seems like a reasonable improvement over Firefox 1.5. The new theme's OK - I don't much like the fact that the Go button is now welded to the address bar (I always use the keyboard, so I usually remove it), and the icons look a bit desaturated.

It does seem a little faster. It has a newer version of Gecko (the rendering engine), a newer JavaScript interpreter, and all sorts of other useful stuff for web developers that we can't actually use because IE doesn't support any of it. Grr...
SadisticSaviorX wrote:Im currently using RC3 and there it says there is no updates. :?
A release candidate is just that - a version that the developers thing is good enough to be a final release version. If no bugs are found, the release candidate is promoted to the release version.

The release version of Firefox 2 is identical to the RC3 version.
melancholy wrote:I would just double click on the tab and it would automatically close that tab
Middle-clicking on a tab closes it as well.

The "new" feature of having a close button on each tab seems completely pointless to me, since I'm used to just middle-clicking on them to get rid of them, or pressing Ctrl+W since my hands are usually on the keyboard instead of the mouse anyway.

There should be a new version of Tab Mix Plus for Firefox 2 in a while.

All of my extensions on this machine seem to work. Even IE Tab, which is kind of surprising - it kept working despite upgrades to both Firefox and IE.
TyBO wrote:I like how I can middle click the magnifying glass in the search bar to open the search in a new tab.
There's a keyboard shortcut for that too - Alt+Enter opens a search in a new tab.

Both of those work on the address bar too.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

BlackAura wrote:The "new" feature of having a close button on each tab seems completely pointless to me
You can change that behavior in about:config, there was someone on Slashdot discussing that same thing.
It's thinking...
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Ah, thanks - took all of five seconds to find. Once I knew it was there.

I just noticed that Firefox 2 has a session saver built-in. It's automatically triggered in case of a browser restart or crash, and you can set it to automatically restore your previous session at startup if you want.

melancholy - There's a development build of Tab Mix Plus for Firefox 2 available here.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

BlackAura wrote:Ah, thanks - took all of five seconds to find. Once I knew it was there.

I just noticed that Firefox 2 has a session saver built-in. It's automatically triggered in case of a browser restart or crash, and you can set it to automatically restore your previous session at startup if you want.

melancholy - There's a development build of Tab Mix Plus for Firefox 2 available here.
thank you very much! i love tab mix plus

also the spellchecker is very nice.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I'm lovin' the spellcheck. So much so that I'm nott eaven usin it forr thiss postt.