People of England, please read this! (genuinely important)

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

People of England, please read this! (genuinely important)

Post by Matisfaction »

I know all this is probably very boring to a lot of people, but it is GENUINELY important and we all face a terrible future for nursing care if action isn't taken. My girlfriend is a nurse and like many others studying for this profession it looks like there's not going to be a job at the end of it all and that ultimately means no nurses in the future.

During 2006, thousands of Nurses have been made redundant or are waiting for the terrible news to come through. This is despite the already dangerously low staffing levels in NHS Hospital and Community Care environments.

The majority of Acute and Primary Care Trusts currently have a recruitment freeze. This means that thousands of Student Nurses, after 3 years of training at a ?100,000 cost to the government PER STUDENT, are left with no job opportunity. These students will be forced to turn to other jobs, unlikely to ever return to the Nursing profession.

Those nurses already in employment who are facing redundancy are young. They are cheap, they have little redundancy payments for the NHS. Those nurses lucky enough to keep their jobs are heading for retirement, too expensive to be made redundant.

This is a time bomb. With no Student Nurses coming through, Nurses who remain in the NHS heading for retirement, and no younger Nurses to take their places we are heading for a serious crisis, the biggest nursing crisis that has ever faced this country.

All of this is because of mismanagement of finances at local AND government level. Each party refuses to address the long term issue which will begin to show in as soon as 3 years time.

The Royal College of Nursing has created a petition to try and raise awareness of the atrocious current situation, and the even more atrocious one that will arise in only a few years time. Please take a small moment of your time to show your support (by clicking on the link below). Who will be there to nurse you or your family if you don't?

Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I'll sign the petition.

The NHS functions very well under certain circumstances. However, in others it functions very poorly and I simply don't trust it as a medical service if anything major were to happen to me.

I've been signed up with BUPA for 5 years now, and even though my parents have been paying for me up to now, I will continue to remain a member throughout the rest of my life. I shouldn't have to pay for a private service to feel like I have some decent, reliable healthcare if something terrible happened. But that's exactly the way it is.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

america has a shortage of rn's supposedly. why is england always backwards? :wink:
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 »

my gf is a nurse too, but N.Ireland is different then England as there have been no word of cuts in Nurses jobs. The worst that happened he so far is some hospitals are cutting down the amount of bank/agency nurses they take on ( i.e. if a nurse calls in sick instead of getting a bank/agency nurse, the ward operates a nurse or 2 down)

but yeah signed
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

I'm in
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

in all seriousness if i was in the UK i would probably sign.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Why don't you guys just export some of your trained nurses to the US? I'm sure Blair and Bush could work something out.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

butters wrote:Why don't you guys just export some of your trained nurses to the US? I'm sure Blair and Bush could work something out.
i know the US has programs with other countries for teachers, it could work for nurses.
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 »

nurses in the uk/ireland (europe? ) are trained differently, the nurses here do more. there are Filipino nurses in my gf hospital that are trained the american way, and they have to be retrained as they can't/don't do a lot of stuff..... the biggest difference being american style don't clean the patients at all
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

Darksaviour69 wrote:nurses in the uk/ireland (europe? ) are trained differently, the nurses here do more. there are Filipino nurses in my gf hospital that are trained the american way, and they have to be retrained as they can't/don't do a lot of stuff..... the biggest difference being american style don't clean the patients at all
yes they do. registered nurses don't, other nurses do.
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 »

yeah thats my point its, Nursing assistants, orderlies, healthcare assistants that do that stuff (administering hygienic care, assisting with feeding etc)

here the registered nurses do all that, i only know cause my gf was giving off that the Filipino nurse didn't do any of that stuff ( they should be doing it, but they just ignorred it)

not saying away is better than the other, but it is different
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

Signed.

My 86 yr old nan was in hospital recently and I was very unimpressed by the level of care she received. The ward sister was particularly unhelpful and didn't like being disrupted from the computer she was typing at, despite the woman in my Nan's ward insisting she was in agony. Credit to the student Nurses though, they were much more helpful, willing to listen and genuinely caring. It would be travesty to lose such staff due to the govenment's short sightedness.

Come voting day, I'll be deciding with my vote too.

I don't know what the solution would be though as I'd imagine it would just involve higher taxes for the rest of us - which I wouldn't necessarily mind if I saw some sort of improvement, but do think we're paying enough anyway. I don't really agree with the concept of private healthcare at all but I can understand why so many people take it out.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I dont agree with private healthcare at all. Thats why I'm so annoyed that I live in one of he few countries that offers state healthcare, but I still feel inclined to take our private coverage.

My friend's dad died of cancer because he was left waiting months for surgery, by the time a surgeon was available the cancer had spread to far, and they simply sewed him back up and gave him a few months to live. Its things like this that have scared me into going private.