How many processes at boot up?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by BlackAura »

I have 118. But that's on Linux, and I have a lot of extra stuff running (a webserver, two database servers, a file server, a mail server, VMWare, a couple of web-based admin tools, and so on). I don't care anyway, since they're not draining my available resources at all.

My Windows machines typically have mid-20s somewhere after a fresh boot, rising to the mid 30s if I have a lot of software installed. I tend not to install stuff on Windows that creates lots of extra processes.

Looking at that process list, you've got Avast, MCE, ZoneAlarm, some stuff from 3D Studio Max (probably copy protection bullshit), ATI's system tray applet, Bluetooth stuff, the Java update scheduler, Microsoft's Windows Defender, and Maya. Assuming you actually do have all of those installed, then that seems perfectly normal, and most of these are required for those apps to work.

If it really worries you, you could disable ATI's stuff (starts with ati), the Java update scheduler (jusched), and Maya's help server (wrapper.exe). Since they're not using any CPU time, and hardly using any memory, there doesn't seem to be much point in turning them off, so you might as well leave them.

ZoneAlarm (specifically, vsmon.exe) appears to be using far more memory than it really should. Not really enough to be a problem though.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Been thanked: 0

Post by JuddWack »

Wow! You're the man BlackAura. Thanks for that awsome explanation. To be honest I was really hoping there was a problem so I could fix it and get more performance out of my machine, but I didn't think there was. The multiple svchost.exe's were suspicious since one takes up quite a lot more memory than the others, but from what I understand when that is a problem your machine becomes unbearably slow, which mine is not.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
System Up Time: 3 Days, 15 Hours, 45 Minutes, 10 Seconds
Total Physical Memory: 1,022 MB
Available Physical Memory: 498 MB

45 processes going.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

23, with laptop processes and a usb library for my disposable camera.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

27 now - Haven't booted up in days.
gRiMgRaVy014
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by gRiMgRaVy014 »

Thats with Firefox, jabber and taskmanager open.