Using a tivo without service

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Using a tivo without service

Post by Quzar »

Ok, so I've tried to do research on it, but a good deal of the forums that i've found disallow asking about this. I've found plenty of guides on upgrading the hard drive, but none on using it without service (long story short I found a tivo and don't wanna pay for anything to do with it =P).

So, does anyone here know how it's possible to use it without service? Replacement OS for it or anything like that?
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by gamedudex2 »

ya i was wondering can u build a pvr device like a tv to do recordings when u want and such like tivo and not have a service? like so i can expand the hdd and such :)
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

gamedudex2 wrote:ya i was wondering can u build a pvr device like a tv to do recordings when u want and such like tivo and not have a service? like so i can expand the hdd and such :)
You certainly can build your own media center. MythTV seems to be the most popular. I don't know if you can use a Tivo without the service though. I'd be interested to find out.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Tivos use linux, and I'm fairly sure you can replace the kernel on there with a custom built one. I just don't know exactly how, since I don't have one.
gRiMgRaVy014
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by gRiMgRaVy014 »

Is the hdd in a TiVo just a normal flat IDE hard drive?
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Isn't there a basic TiVo service that's free? I gave my friend a TiVo and he uses it all the time without ever paying a dime, and he is extremely computer illiterate, so there's no possible way he hacked it or anything.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

melancholy wrote:Isn't there a basic TiVo service that's free? I gave my friend a TiVo and he uses it all the time without ever paying a dime, and he is extremely computer illiterate, so there's no possible way he hacked it or anything.
I assumed without service a TiVo would work basically like a VCR with a really good timer recording feature - am I wrong in that assumption?
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
DCFreak07
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DCFreak07 »

Not sure, even here our basic cable company has DVR's. Try using a normal DVR or something. TiVo may have more protection than your local cable company or satellites. Ummm TiVo should run just fine without the service from what I understand. And even without the TiVo box, you can put a TV Tuner card in and run your basic cable and record it to PC. My cousin knows a lot about recording TV to PC if thats any help. I think it would be cool to see TiVo running Linux with like a 160 Gig HDD. That would be awesome. I'd record Futurama on it though, and take up all that space. :D
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

DCFreak07 wrote:Not sure, even here our basic cable company has DVR's. Try using a normal DVR or something. TiVo may have more protection than your local cable company or satellites. Ummm TiVo should run just fine without the service from what I understand. And even without the TiVo box, you can put a TV Tuner card in and run your basic cable and record it to PC. My cousin knows a lot about recording TV to PC if thats any help. I think it would be cool to see TiVo running Linux with like a 160 Gig HDD. That would be awesome. I'd record Futurama on it though, and take up all that space. :D
TiVo has much, much better quality than you'll get out of anything besides a very expensive TV tuner though.
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Only TiVos with a very old 1.3 OS will function without the service. Now all TiVos with 2.0 or greater REQUIRE service to do anything but watch shows that were previously recorded when you either had service or before it automatcially upgraded it's software.

For anybody suggesting a tv capture box, I already have TV tuners in my phasing out and phasing in PC and use and love them, but I want a set top device that can be used by my whole family, AND I already have a tivo with remote that I found in someone's trash, so if there is any pre-made linux kit for it then I'd appreciate pointers towards it.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Quzar wrote:Only TiVos with a very old 1.3 OS will function without the service.
Ah, that would explain it. The TiVo I gave my friend was a very old model, so it probably had 1.3 on it. In fact, I almost remember reading somewhere in the menu about it being 1.3, now that you mention it.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

melancholy wrote:
Quzar wrote:Only TiVos with a very old 1.3 OS will function without the service.
Ah, that would explain it. The TiVo I gave my friend was a very old model, so it probably had 1.3 on it. In fact, I almost remember reading somewhere in the menu about it being 1.3, now that you mention it.
Yea, don't ever let your friend plug it into a phone port or anything because it will automatically update to 4.0 or whatever and not let him use it anymore. It was a huge scandal when it first happened, because the device specifically stated that it could be used without the service, then they overnight made it require the service.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Quzar wrote:
melancholy wrote:
Yea, don't ever let your friend plug it into a phone port or anything because it will automatically update to 4.0 or whatever and not let him use it anymore. It was a huge scandal when it first happened, because the device specifically stated that it could be used without the service, then they overnight made it require the service.
Although I doubt he will, I will be sure to tell him. Thanks.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Quzar wrote:
melancholy wrote:
Anyone looked into reverting to the old firmware (or whatever)?
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

BlueCrab wrote:Tivos use linux, and I'm fairly sure you can replace the kernel on there with a custom built one. I just don't know exactly how, since I don't have one.
I think your wrong there. Its protected in the same way as a xbox.