NBC sent us a little something in the mail.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NBC sent us a little something in the mail.

Post by CupNoodle »

It was a letter telling us to stop pirating their shows. Namely, The Office. They only tracked one episode to one roommates computer, but I think we'll hold off on the illegal downloading of television programs for a good while. Adelphia also told us to stop and gave us some helpful hints on how to stop pirating!

I'm not sure if this constitutes as discussion and/or advocation of warez.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

I honestly dont think its illegal to download tv shows. How can you steal something that they give away.
djray
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by djray »

rant: the american version of "The Office" pales in comparison to its British originator and predecessor.

/end rant! :)
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

The American version of The Office has nothing on the UK's

Im suprised they went through all that effort, for ONE episode. It's not like you were distrubting DVD's of them, which happens quite a lot
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

ive never gotten a letter like that, but ive only dl'ed a few shows that i missed a couple of nights, mainly prison break.

about the only thing ive ever gotten from a tv comp. was a couple pilot video tapes to watch and review.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

MGM sent a friend of mine a letter for seeding TMNT 2. They kicked him off the network at school for a day. The next day he was back at seeding. Never heard back from them.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

The US Version has really taken off in Season 2 and become a LOT different than the UK version. It really is pretty damn funny, and the actors are excellent in it. I'd venture to say I even prefer the Second season of the US to the second season of the UK.... first season is all about UK though.

Edit: I guess its regional for me, as I can relate to the people in the US version more-- I know the person types, and although they are (more or less) the same in the UK version, there are some differences that make it feel less real.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Extras > The Office
Patrick Stewart: You've never seen Star trek?
Ricky Gervais: No, I really haven't
Patrick Stewart: Ah, your wife doesn't let you watch it
Ricky Gervais: I'm not married
Patrick Stewart: Your girlfriend then?
Ricky Gervais: I'm not seeing anyone
Patrick Stewart: You're a single man and you've never seen Star trek?
Ricky Gervais: No
Patrick Stewart: Un - believable.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

SuperMegatron wrote:I honestly dont think its illegal to download tv shows. How can you steal something that they give away.
Oh yeah, I forgot that they "give away" DVDs of The Office at Target.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I got one about King Kong. :? Oh well, I own it on DVD anyway.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
mink03
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mink03 »

if you wanna compare us vs. uk versions of shows just watch coupling... just proof brits are far funnier than us americans...we suck! :lol:
crabcakes
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

Skynet wrote:I got one about King Kong. :? Oh well, I own it on DVD anyway.
you serious? i didn't relize they sent them out here.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

SuperMegatron wrote:I honestly dont think its illegal to download tv shows. How can you steal something that they give away.
There's probably an argument to be made that downloading a TV show for personal one-time viewing is fair use (see the guidelines in 17 USC 107), but I doubt any US court would buy it...
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
There's probably an argument to be made that downloading a TV show for personal one-time viewing is fair use (see the guidelines in 17 USC 107), but I doubt any US court would buy it...
Here is my point if they broadcast the show free over the airwaves and users can freely record it why others who missed the show get it from a friend. There is no difference in downloading a show and taping it with a vcr. The content is the same
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

When they broadcast it free on the airwaves you are actually paying them by watching the commercials. Granted you can leave the commercials in a downloaded tv show, however then they are obsolete and no longer really advertise the product nor help the company. Im sure they also say they lose $50 everytime a person downloads a tv show just so they can make up a big figure and claim piracy is costing them that much money.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

SuperMegatron wrote: Here is my point if they broadcast the show free over the airwaves and users can freely record it why others who missed the show get it from a friend. There is no difference in downloading a show and taping it with a vcr. The content is the same
If they could track what you record on your VCR, they would be busting people for using them, too.
Last edited by Egotistical EvilN on Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

You can hit pause with a vcr, then unpause it when the commercial is over. Point?
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

When recording with a TV tuner, some programs even have options that automatically cut out the commercials (I'm not sure how well it works, but I know Snapstream Beyond TV has this feature).
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Crazy Caboose wrote:When recording with a TV tuner, some programs even have options that automatically cut out the commercials (I'm not sure how well it works, but I know Snapstream Beyond TV has this feature).
A commercial usually is louder than a TV show, so it wouldn't be hard to filter out.