Xbox 360 (Which one should I get?)

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Xbox 360 (Which one should I get?)

Post by navi »

Me and my wife were going to pick up one of these babies last week but when we went to the store I saw they have the Xbox live version and the Core System version for like $100 less

All she really wants it for is the Next Gen Sonic game and me the same reasons plus Kameo :)

Anywho what's the main difference between the two and is paying the extra 100 bucks really worth it. Keep in mind that we perfer our online gaming on PC.
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!

Post by Dew »

The additional $100 includes the hard drive which is required to play Xbox 1 games amongst many other things such as downloading content and demos.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

It's worth the extra hundred with all the extra stuff that gets bundled with it.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

It's not. Just buy the hard drive seperately.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Wireless controller, headset, hdd, definately worth it.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

It's lile 100 fr the hard drive alone, so you're basically gettting all the other stuff for free.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

if you can afford the one that comes fully loaded, buy it. If not, buy the core one and you can always upgrade.

btw, the factory 360 hdd's go for an arm and a leg on ebay, so you might end up paying more to convert a core to a fully loaded one.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Id pay the extra $100. Think of it like this.. without the HD your going to need a memory card to save right? Just get the bundle.

If I had the money and enough reason to buy one I would, but so far only 1 game really impresses me (oblivian). And to be honest my opinion of it went down when I heard the world upgrades as you level. What is the ppoint in leveling up if mobs are the same level as you no matter what? Reminds me of that one Wing Commander game. No matter what you upgraded on your ship the enemies just got harder so it was pointless to upgrade your ship.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!

Post by Dew »

Veggita2099 wrote:Id pay the extra $100. Think of it like this.. without the HD your going to need a memory card to save right? Just get the bundle.

If I had the money and enough reason to buy one I would, but so far only 1 game really impresses me (oblivian). And to be honest my opinion of it went down when I heard the world upgrades as you level. What is the ppoint in leveling up if mobs are the same level as you no matter what? Reminds me of that one Wing Commander game. No matter what you upgraded on your ship the enemies just got harder so it was pointless to upgrade your ship.
Do you mean Privateer?
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

Alrighty then we've decided to blow the extra hundred on the bundle. Thanks for all the feedback. I'm not big on Headset mind you but I hate memory cards so the HD will be sweet :)
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

Egotistical EvilN wrote:It's not. Just buy the hard drive seperately.
that makes a lot of sense.

pay 300$ for the core system with wired controller and console, with no hdtv cables, then pay 100$ more for just the hdd.

that's way better then paying 400$ for the premium pack with wireless controllers, hdd, hdtv cables, and the headset.

i would definatly go with the premium, just because if you want to take advantage of most of the features of the 360, you will need the hdd anyway.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

There is absolutely no reason why anyone should get the Core system.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

I did the research on how much the hard drive costs.
Get the premium.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Don't buy a tard pack 360, even if you get a nice white dvd drive instead of a crappy silver one. It's just not worth it.

navi wrote: All she really wants it for is the Next Gen Sonic game and me the same reasons plus Kameo :)
You don't want Kameo. It is utter gash. Apparently Bill Gates loves it though, so there is a quite ridiculous amount of focus placed towards it in marketing and XBL downloads (multiple demos, videos, themes, skins etc etc etc).

But it is still gash like Starfox Adventures was.
Veggita2099 wrote: If I had the money and enough reason to buy one I would, but so far only 1 game really impresses me (oblivian). And to be honest my opinion of it went down when I heard the world upgrades as you level. What is the ppoint in leveling up if mobs are the same level as you no matter what?
I personally like that the game keeps offering a challenge even when you're pretty tricked out as a character, but I know people hate that. Ways around it are:
1) adjust the ingame difficulty slider until you're challenged / pwning all that moves
2) create a custom class where skills you will never ever use are your 'majors' so that they never level up, with the result that your level never rises
3) never sleep ingame and never gain a level

But you're right, one game isn't really worth buying a whole new console for unless you have the money to do so anyway or there are enough exclusive other games out / on the horizon you really want to play to justify it.
lynx44
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lynx44 »

Get it at Overstock.com. Right now it comes out to about $360 exactly after shipping. Its the premium bundle.

-Matt
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

MKE wrote:
Egotistical EvilN wrote:It's not. Just buy the hard drive seperately.
that makes a lot of sense.

pay 300$ for the core system with wired controller and console, with no hdtv cables, then pay 100$ more for just the hdd.

that's way better then paying 400$ for the premium pack with wireless controllers, hdd, hdtv cables, and the headset.

i would definatly go with the premium, just because if you want to take advantage of most of the features of the 360, you will need the hdd anyway.
The HDTV cables/Headset are not really big selling points. If he had an HDTV, he would probably have enough money to spring for the cables. And the headset is sort of cheap, anyway.

The wireless controller, to me, is the important part. Oh, and that the memory cards are 40 dollars. Insane.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

i know the hdtv cables/headset arent major selling points, there just "look what else you get for buying this" things.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Veggita2099 wrote:And to be honest my opinion of it went down when I heard the world upgrades as you level. What is the ppoint in leveling up if mobs are the same level as you no matter what? Reminds me of that one Wing Commander game. No matter what you upgraded on your ship the enemies just got harder so it was pointless to upgrade your ship.
I think you misunderstood how the world upgrades. See, it's not that enemies level up along with you throughout the game. A low level rat at the beginning of the game is still the same low level rat at the end. But as you level up, stronger enemies appear. So the enemies that appear at level 3 are different from the enemies at level 13. And I believe once you exceed level 22, no new enemies will appear, meaning that eventually you will level up beyond everything else.

At any rate, it's no different than any other linear RPG. You enter a cave, you struggle. By the end of the cave, you are walking all over your enemies. Then you enter the next cave, you struggle, and the cycle repeats.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

melancholy wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:And to be honest my opinion of it went down when I heard the world upgrades as you level. What is the ppoint in leveling up if mobs are the same level as you no matter what? Reminds me of that one Wing Commander game. No matter what you upgraded on your ship the enemies just got harder so it was pointless to upgrade your ship.
I think you misunderstood how the world upgrades. See, it's not that enemies level up along with you throughout the game. A low level rat at the beginning of the game is still the same low level rat at the end. But as you level up, stronger enemies appear. So the enemies that appear at level 3 are different from the enemies at level 13. And I believe once you exceed level 22, no new enemies will appear, meaning that eventually you will level up beyond everything else.

At any rate, it's no different than any other linear RPG. You enter a cave, you struggle. By the end of the cave, you are walking all over your enemies. Then you enter the next cave, you struggle, and the cycle repeats.
It is rather ludicrous that you eventually get attacked by bandits with armor worth thousands of gold pieces.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Lartrak wrote:
melancholy wrote:

It is rather ludicrous that you eventually get attacked by bandits with armor worth thousands of gold pieces.
True, the human enemies armor does increase as the game goes on, but like the monsters, there is a limit to that as well. I still found that by the time I was about level 20, I could kill almost any human NPC with one shot with my staff.