McCain thinks FIFA cares what he thinks

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

McCain thinks FIFA cares what he thinks

Post by Roofus »

Washington D.C. ? Senator John McCain (R-AZ) today introduced legislation urging FIFA, international soccer?s governing body, to ban Iran from sanctioned international competition ? including the 2006 World Cup. ?The national team is scheduled to play its first match in Nuremberg, Germany,? McCain said. ?There is a cynical historical irony to this, in light of President Ahmadinejad?s vile statements denying the Holocaust and calling for Israel?s eradication.?

Denying the Holocaust is a crime in the Federal Republic of Germany, and Nuremberg served as the site of war crimes tribunals that tried Nazi leaders for atrocities and genocide. The resolution calls on FIFA to block Iran?s participation in sanctioned matches until its government rescinds its position disavowing the Holocaust, repudiates its calls for the eradication of Israel, ends its support for terrorism, and ceases its pursuit of nuclear weapons. Six senators joined Senator McCain as original cosponsors.

?Iran is a soccer-mad country,? said McCain, ?and I hope this resolution will spark serious discussion there about whether the regime?s rhetoric and policy serve the interests of its people.?

Restrictions on international sporting competition have brought attention and pressure to previous regimes. South Africa was barred from international competition by both FIFA and the International Olympic Committee until the repeal of its apartheid laws in 1991. In 1992 Yugoslavia was banned from participation in Europe?s popular UEFA Cup soccer championships and later prevented from participating in World Cup qualifying matches. Article 3 of FIFA?s regulations threatens suspension or expulsion as punishment for discrimination against a country or group of people.

Link
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

miko tries to make the cricket noise from cartoons . . .
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

what is Fifa? I thought it was the soccer player on the cover of EA's game.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

Tifas soccer playing little sister from FFVII

seriously though, according to this CBS News column it's "still viewed in some quarters as a plot to create a one-world government."

:wtf:

well all i can say is at least come the New World Order there will apparently be a Referee . . .
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

John McCain wrote:Iran is a soccer-mad country,? said McCain, ?and I hope this resolution will spark serious discussion there about whether the regime?s rhetoric and policy serve the interests of its people.
Yeah, because it couldn't possibly spark greater resentment of the US for being an instigator. Way to go, Mister Straight Talk. :roll:
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

Yes, the biggest sporting body in the world is going to listen to what some senator thinks. Maybe if it was a bigger football nation they would listen then not care, but I can't even see them listening.
IiLuSiv
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by IiLuSiv »

John McCain is an idiot
I have a secret...
you
got
punkd
lo

ser
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

But morally speaking he is right; Iran is a de facto dictatorship.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered