Damned File Systems... (external drive woes)

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Damned File Systems... (external drive woes)

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Okay, so here's a bit of a problem.

I'm getting settled in with my shiny new MacBook Pro. I've got my external hard drive handy, with all my old data backed up on it (it was originally the drive from my old desktop, then I put it in a USB 2.0 external shell when I bought my last laptop, and used it for data backup).

Well, stupid me, I completely forgot that this thing was NTFS formatted, not FAT32. The MacBook doesn't seem to recognize it at all. I've got all my data on here, and there are several files that are too big to fit on CDs.

Is there any way I can go about getting this onto my computer without having to screw with my internal drive partitions?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

OS X can read (but not write to) NTFS partitions, so I don't think that's the problem.

Also, I know you won't want to put it on CDs, but if you had to, you could use WinRAR to split them over multiple 700MB-sized archives...
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Not the best solution, but try it in bootcamp?
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Fairly certain there's a windows app that converts fat32 to ntfs and also does the reverse. I'd give that a try.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

1. I'm trying to avoid BootCamp entirely.

2. The Mac is the only computer I own, so doing anything through a Windows machine isn't an option.
?
3. Yeah, I've heard that you can access NTFS devices as read-only. This is a standard 60GB single-partition (NTFS) hard drive, in a USB 2.0 enclosure. It's a Windows XP bootable drive, since it used to be the primary drive in my old desktop and I haven't modified the OS or file structure on it at all--just created some new folders in the root to stick backup data in.

So, how do I access this drive? I'm totally at a loss. I know it works.
nz17
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by nz17 »

Well we need a few more details here. When you plug the USB enclosure into the MacBook Pro, does it recognize it correctly as the device it is, or does it show something like "Generic USB Device" or some such? Which version of OS X are you using? Have you applied all the latest updates/patches?

After you can answer those questions, please read the following pages:
http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/i ... 43228.html
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php? ... 1110452194
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75320

Hopefully all that should clear things up for you. Please keep us informed. :fro:
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Go to Applications/utilities/Disk utilities and see if it shows the drive there if it does then you need to go to a windows machine or use a freedos disk and mark the usb partition as active. I had a issue like this before I think the drive has to be set to active for osx to even see it.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

[sigh] Well, I just took the whole thing to work with me, and transferred it over the network. I was hoping to avoid lugging all this equipment to work, since I bike (about 6.5 mile trip each way). But it's done now; I'll probably reformat the drive soon, anyway; there are some data problems.

(As I said, I lost a lot of my music work because the last backup was partially corrupt).