Sony has shot both their feet.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sony has shot both their feet.

Post by TyBO »

Sorry European gamers, it looks like you'll be getting the short end of the stick yet again.

Atari has dropped the skinny about the pricing of some next-gen titles slated for Europe, and it doesn't look pretty. These higher costs probably won't bode well with gamers, but it wouldn't be a shocker to see similar price hikes all around the market. So just how much will Europeans have to pay?

Sonic the Hedgehog on PS3 will be available for around 68 euros (that translates to about $87!). World Snooker Championship 2007 is even higher at 73.99 euros, or almost $95. If you thought that the console alone was going to run you up a pretty penny, then you better keep saving because it looks like the games are going to be a steep investment too.
Sorry to add to the loads of anti-Sony discussion, but this is outragous. If next gen PS3 titles will all cost this much, I can't imagine Sony will be in the video game market much longer.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Like boneycork said before, just because it translates to $80 dosen't mean it will be equal because of the different incomes and standards of living.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Holy crap....

well, how much are current xbox360 games in europe? 55 Euros?
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Xbox360 games are currently $93 at current exchange rate. or "almost $95" as that article puts it.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Allright, then this isn't really a problem :)
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

The dollar is doing crap at the moment, and analysts predict its only going to get worse in the near future. This is going to make UK & Europe look more and more expensive to the average American.

This was the point I was trying to make in the other Sony thread. Half the reason it looks so outrageous to you has nothing to do with Sony's pricing at all and everything to do with the exchange rate.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Thomas wrote:Like boneycork said before, just because it translates to $80 dosen't mean it will be equal because of the different incomes and standards of living.
This is especially true for Japan, but 68 Euros is still a ridiculous price in its own right. If it was a Japanese-style LE box or something I could see that being a good price, but for just the game it's absurd. I really hope this is just a rumor or misunderstanding somewhere.
MulletMan13 wrote:well, how much are current xbox360 games in europe? 55 Euros?
Looks like that's about right from a quick glance at amazon.de, but I don't know how complete a picture that gives.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Recommended retail price for 360 games in europe varies between 60 euros and 70 euros. No online store sells games at the recommended retail price though.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

yup, the only game to have fallen below 60 euros is amped 3, which is still 40 euros

pretty normal here, new Ps2 games used to cost 70 euros here, dont know if they still do after the 360 launch though
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

Well... even if the exchange rate between dollars and Euros isn't accurate, it's still a big increase in cost from the current generation. I was browsing amazon.de and it looks like the average cost of a new PS2 game is somewhere between 46-50 Euros. So that's up to 28 Euro more than the current generation.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

TyBO wrote:Well... even if the exchange rate between dollars and Euros isn't accurate, it's still a big increase in cost from the current generation. I was browsing amazon.de and it looks like the average cost of a new PS2 game is somewhere between 46-50 Euros. So that's up to 28 Euro more than the current generation.
But its very little different from 360's recommended pricing, so to target Sony over this and ignore Microsoft is kinda wrong.
ASCIIN
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by ASCIIN »

as they say, history repeats itself (nintendo 64,neogeo,ect)
Vlame
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Vlame »

ASCIIN wrote:as they say, history repeats itself (nintendo 64,neogeo,ect)
QFT! </Kenichi>
Sora Aoi, DoB : Nov. 11/83
Three #s : B35 [F Cup]-W23-H33
Ht : 5"1', Wt : She Ain't Telling
Eyes : Brwn, Hair : Brwn
Natural Bust : Disputed, Blood Type : B
Sexual Orientation : Heterosexual, Stage Names : Sola Aoi