what (comic book) heros are left ?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

what (comic book) heros are left ?

Post by mikozero »

quite a bit of talk about comic book based movies on this forums, so i put to you a question i was asked the other day . . .

which heros are left to make movies from ?

(we can leave the 'hero movies in times of war' part of the discussion behind methinks)

as a Briton, i have to admit my childhood acquaintance with US comic book characters (Marvel & DC) is somewhat fleeting compared with 2000AD though i've aways had a soft spot for the Dark Knight and i collected a lot of Dark Horse stuff (which i really liked) which for some reason i could buy locally as a teenager.

personally i would love to see a Rogue Trooper or ABC warriors movie but its not going to happen because most of you won't know who that is :wink:

and a Marshal Law movie would blow my Mind, but thats even less likely

i don't think any obscure (as in the public consciousness) characters can carry a mainstream blockbuster film, sure we'll create new 'superheros' in film (like, possibly, the Master Chief), but most lesser comic book creations tend to fall into something which feels like a 'B-movie' (even if it's a really good 'B-Movie', like say, Hellboy).

new Supermans done, Batmans had a (pretty damn good imo) rebirth, Spidermans on a roll, X-Men is winding up (or maybe not), and Watchmen should probably be left to one side because well, it's Watchmen.

so who have the movie makers overlooked (in your opinion) so far ?

Wonder Woman ?
Last edited by mikozero on Fri May 26, 2006 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle »

I think the world is ready for some Grant Morrison[/dumb nerd joke]
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

If the Rogue Trooper game sells well, maybe Uwe Boll will pick up the licence.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

mikozero wrote:personally i would love to see a Rogue Trooper or ABC warriors movie but its not going to happen because most of you won't know who that is :wink:
Since Rebellion bought 2000AD its possbile I guess though I want the Judge Dredd films they have in planning to be done, that stallone thing doesnt count it wasnt proper Dredd.
Nyarlathotep wrote:If the Rogue Trooper game sells well, maybe Uwe Boll will pick up the licence.
Thank god Rebellion own the rights, theres no way theyd let that hack near it.
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

VENOM DAMMIT. I seriously want a venom movie. Venom looks cool and deserves some spot light. ever since venom has been in his own comic,I said good bye to the ol spidy.
Have you played dreamcast today?
Vlame
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Vlame »

Wonder Man and Night Man. \m/
Sora Aoi, DoB : Nov. 11/83
Three #s : B35 [F Cup]-W23-H33
Ht : 5"1', Wt : She Ain't Telling
Eyes : Brwn, Hair : Brwn
Natural Bust : Disputed, Blood Type : B
Sexual Orientation : Heterosexual, Stage Names : Sola Aoi
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Captin America, Bane, Aquaman, Gambit, Jubilee, Thor, Captin Marvel, Lobo, Juggernaut, Magneto just to name some of the more popular ones.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Moon Knight could be interesting.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

flash, green lantern, hawkman, adam strange (personal want), captain marvel (shazam), Avengers(not that ultimate crap), iron man, booster gold, Justice Society of America, nightwing, birds of prey, teen titans(pick some), legion of super-heroes, and many many more. i tried to avoid going below c level heroes.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

fackue wrote:Captain America, Bane, Aquaman, Gambit, Jubilee, Thor, Captain Marvel, Lobo, Juggernaut, Magneto just to name some of the more popular ones.
most of these are obscure in the (general) public consciousness, so wouldn't 'deserve' a big bucks movie treatment, despite how many fans may love them.

Juggernaut and Magneto are part of X-Men so you could probably count them out.

Caption America would have the rest of the world sniggering, Caption Marvel sound like product placement gone mad and Thor is too 'appropriated'.

Aquaman i could possibly see.

i gotta be honest, Gambit and Lobo ring a bell but i'm lost on the others.

the question is more complicated than who has the most popular books, or who the comic book fans would want like too see.

the question is more about who could receive the '100 Mil plus blockbuster treatment' and turn a healthy profit in the process, you also have to think about the fact that you have to do a full origin story for those movie goers who are not familiar with the character and a supplementary storyline inside one '3' hr film

edit - sorry Covar writing while you were posting.

ok maybe let me rephrase the question a little, why would 'X hero' make a great movie choice ? why would joe public (not joe comic book) connect with this character, thereby justifying the big production spend and hopefully leading to the big returns.
Last edited by mikozero on Fri May 26, 2006 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Captain America already had a movie. Then again that didn't stop them from making newer spiderman, hulk, and superman movies.

edit: oh, and if I could make a movie of any superhero I would make one of my old time fav: Doctor Strange.
Last edited by Quzar on Fri May 26, 2006 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

magneto is in X-men 1 and 2 isnt he? sure it isnt his own movie, but he is pretty important

havent seen gambit though, and i cant remember beast being in there, they would be cool

as for other superheroes, i would like iron man probably, but otherwise i cant think of any un-movified heroes really that are worth it
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

ooh dr strange. that could be an interesting movie.

as blade proved a characters popularity has nothing to do with a sucessful movie series.

I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT THE GREEN ARROW!

anyway to answer mikozero's post:

Flash - one of the big seven flash has some neat tricks up his sleeves and easily one of the most interesting rogue galleries (batman being the other) what makes his so unique? they're unionized.

Green Lantern - his power ring is easily one of the most powerful weapons in all of comics and allows for some great creativity and visual effects. doesn't matter which green lantern to choose.

Hawkman probably wouldn't make a very good movie, but i would pay to see it.

adam strange human who becomes the protector of a dying empire. could be a great space war flick. i mean he has a jetpack and kickass weapons. and he leads the planets entire military.

Captain Marvel(shazam) gave superman a run for his money back in his hight.

Avengers marvel's "earths mightiest heroes."

iron man convulted orgin but some cool technology.

booster gold person from the far future who goes back in time to our present day to become a hero.

Justice Society of America a nice mix of older ww2 era of hero's and their offspring/current generation replacements.

nightwing the first robin looking to get away from the shadow of batman and forge his own identity.

birds of prey crack team of female superheroes lead by barbara gordan. did i mention that they are all extremely hot female superheroes.

teen titans if the show didn't show you the potential then i don't know what will

legion of super-heroes from the 30th century a group of teenage heroes honoring the traditions of the great superheroes of the past.
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Creature Tech
Earthboy Jacobus
The Goon
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I was going to say that Iron Man has a lot of potential, but apparently it's already on tap to start production next year...
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

marvel has a ton of new movies in the works

iron man
new hulk
ant man
cap america
nick fury
and thor.

I really hope they do a good job on cap. I'm really beginning to like his new book.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Dreamcast4life wrote:VENOM DAMMIT. I seriously want a venom movie. Venom looks cool and deserves some spot light. ever since venom has been in his own comic,I said good bye to the ol spidy.
Bah--after seeing what Hollywood did to Spawn, I would not trust that in the least.

If someone could do it *right*, though, I would like to see a screen adaptation of Batman: Dark Knight Returns (especially relevant these days), and a Dr. Strange move.

My god, could they do good things with Dr. Strange.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

DKR would be good but I don't think people would follow it. Seeing as how it's elseworlds.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

dark night returns is one of the most overrated batman stories ever.