Cloaking device proven to be possible

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Cloaking device proven to be possible

Post by Roofus » Wed May 24, 2006 12:33 pm

It's been the curse of the USS Enterprise and the Klingons' favoured weapon. But back on Earth, mathematicians claim to have worked out how to make a cloaking device to render objects invisible.
An outline for the device is described in a scientific paper published today in which the authors reveal how objects placed close to a material called a superlens appear to vanish.

Even in the world of science fiction, the technology is not perfect, and nor is the device proposed by Graeme Milton at Utah University and Nicolae-Alexandru Nicorovici at Sydney University of Technology. According to their calculations, the device would only work at certain frequencies of light, and only if the object is within close range of the superlens.

The cloaking device relies on recently discovered materials used to make superlenses that make light behave in a highly unusual way. Instead of having a positive refractive index - the property which makes light bend as it passes through a prism or water - the materials have a negative refractive index, which effectively makes light travel backwards. It's light, but not as we know it.

Prof Milton's team calculated that when certain objects are placed next to superlenses, the light bouncing off them is essentially erased by light reflecting off the superlens, making the object invisible.

The calculations show that while the device could be used to obscure almost any shape of object, it only works over a short range of wavelengths, so if used to hide objects from human vision, they might only partially disappear.

Sir John Pendry, a theoretical physicist at Imperial College London who invented superlenses, said: "Effectively, they are making a piece of space seem to disappear, at least as far as light is concerned."

The research appears in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society today.

Prof Pendry said the technology has great potential for hiding objects from radar or cloaking electronic instruments so they can be used in strong electromagnetic fields, such as those produced by hospital MRI brain scanners. "The secret is having the cloak itself be invisible and if you can do that cheaply and efficiently and it doesn't need to be metres thick, it would be extremely valuable for stealth. Even if you could cloak a single frequency, it would be very useful. The military is extremely interested in this."

So far the researchers have only worked through the mathematics to prove that the device is plausible. The practicalities of making one have yet to be solved.

Link
Link
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq » Wed May 24, 2006 1:52 pm

Yeah but we all know that early cloaking devices screw up the ships instruments so its hard to see the enemy.
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by |darc| » Wed May 24, 2006 2:27 pm

Cool, but even though it means it will make an object not give off light, would the object not still block the light of the objects behind it, meaning that you will see a silhouette of the 'invisible' object?
It's thinking...
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq » Wed May 24, 2006 2:36 pm

As long as this one doesnt send you forward in time its an imporvement on the prototypes

DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler » Wed May 24, 2006 3:10 pm

Hawq wrote:As long as this one doesnt send you forward in time its an imporvement on the prototypes
Philadelphia Experiment? Or are you thinking of something else?
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype » Wed May 24, 2006 3:41 pm

I rember seeing something similar to this on tv a while back. It did'nt look nearly that great yet, but this sounds more promising.
Like the guy stood infront of a tv and at certian angles you could actually watch the tv.
I also fear rape sky-rocketting after this.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle » Wed May 24, 2006 5:32 pm

Cardboard box.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber » Wed May 24, 2006 10:18 pm

This research is a dead end. They ought to be developing the Somebody Else's Problem field.
jaredfogle wrote:Cardboard box.
Goes without saying, really. After all, it's your destiny to be in the box. )()(
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq » Thu May 25, 2006 1:23 pm

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Hawq wrote:As long as this one doesnt send you forward in time its an imporvement on the prototypes
Philadelphia Experiment?
Of course, wonder if theres a special edition dvd re;ease of that?

FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS » Thu May 25, 2006 2:41 pm

I want a pair of cloaking boxers
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli » Thu May 25, 2006 3:50 pm

Cloaking devices have been in the works for years and are in prototype stages within the government.

They've been applied to all sorts of army vehicles; including tanks, jeeps and I think a humvee as well. Basically there are camera that display what they see on the opposite side that they are positioned to, which displays an image of what is being recorded by the camera(desert/buildings/trees/etc).
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero » Thu May 25, 2006 3:56 pm

cloaking devices already exist,

just get robbed, mugged, assulted or collapse on a busy street and watch as you magically vanish from the view of (almost) the entire populous.

S.E.P. fields in action . . .
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle » Thu May 25, 2006 4:16 pm

Tall Israeli wrote:Cloaking devices have been in the works for years and are in prototype stages within the government.

They've been applied to all sorts of army vehicles; including tanks, jeeps and I think a humvee as well. Basically there are camera that display what they see on the opposite side that they are positioned to, which displays an image of what is being recorded by the camera(desert/buildings/trees/etc).
Although it's quite stealthy, it's not a true cloak. Camera camouflage is just a pretty good way of blending in.
IiLuSiv
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by IiLuSiv » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:37 pm

the question would be, when dealing with tanks, and helicopters they rarely actually never depend on regular view. You would have someone to cloak your heat, and yourself from radar for it to have any real warfare application. As the abilitiy to cloak vehicles in many environments from soldiers is already there, with the tank blankets and what-not they lay on tanks in desert warfare etc when not in constant action.
I have a secret...
you
got
punkd
lo

ser