I need a good PCI TV Tuner for my computer

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

I need a good PCI TV Tuner for my computer

Post by Mattiethomas » Sat May 20, 2006 12:40 am

The reason I need one if because I need something to hook my gaming systems up to and I dont have a TV to use at the moment. I'd like a good brand with on-board A/V In and Audio In to plug my system's video and audio into. I'd rather get a TV Tuner then a VGA adapter because I can hook up any kind of thing with video and audio cords to this and I couldnt do that on any VGA adapter.

If anyone knows any tuners be sure to tell me. :)
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy » Sat May 20, 2006 12:49 am

Good luck, you won't find a standalone TV tuner card that will work with games. Unless some company has released one recently, you will find that there is no standalone adapter that can display a video feed fast enough. They all have some form of lag. I've tried many of adapters, from ATI to Pinnacle, and all of them have at least some form of lag that will kill your timing in games.

Pretty much your only bet is to get a video card that can handle video-in. Most modern AGP and PCI-Express video cards with video-in are decent enough for console gaming. But typically TV Tuner cards simply won't work.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype » Sat May 20, 2006 7:27 am

In my other computer I have a Pci-Tv tuner card. It was only ~45 bucks from new-egg.
I
ll try and look at it later, but it is red in colour and made by pc chips I think.
I played sonic adv2 on it just fine with no lag (when I had my dc put inside my pc case).
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar » Sat May 20, 2006 8:00 am

wouldn't it be just as cheap to buy a new tv? or is there another reason you want this
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype » Sat May 20, 2006 8:03 am

Also I rember that is has a 7134 chipset and it is a make of the cinergy-400.
I think that is a german card so find one made in america (or wherever you live).
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli » Sat May 20, 2006 11:16 am

I'd recommend an AIW card.
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!

Post by Dew » Sat May 20, 2006 12:32 pm

I had a ATi TV Wonder VE PCI TV Card and I used to play DC on it. It worked fine. I also recall having my xbox hooked up to it once.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler » Sat May 20, 2006 12:58 pm

I still have an All-in-Wonder 9000 Pro for sale. Of course this would be your video card, too, so if you already have something better than a Radeon 9000 Pro installed it may not be what you're looking for.

It's an AGP card, by the way.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy » Sat May 20, 2006 1:14 pm

Dew wrote:I had a ATi TV Wonder VE PCI TV Card and I used to play DC on it. It worked fine. I also recall having my xbox hooked up to it once.
I had the same device, and I'm telling you, the timing is off. I mean, honestly, it depends on what type of game you are playing, but trying to play Dead or Alive, the timing was off a split second, which is enough to totally screw up any type of counters you might try to pull off.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler » Sat May 20, 2006 1:48 pm

It partially depends on the TV program you're using, and partially on your settings. Some programs cause delay. Some hardware causes delay. Turning on a bunch of advanced image filters *definitely* causes delay.

But at fairly basic settings, I was able to avoid image lag, both with my All-in-Wonder and with the Happauge TV tuner card I owned before that. My test game was Sonic Adventure 2, so any delay would have been pretty noticeable.

You can do it, and it's not that hard.
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 » Sat May 20, 2006 2:30 pm

i have the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 and when i hook up my DC played through the WinTV software, i get a 2 second lag. i guess its because the thing has a hardware encoder and it buffers the video before it reaches the software. i don't think i can turn it off.
DC FoReVeR.!!!
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler » Sat May 20, 2006 3:00 pm

It's also partially because you're using USB.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy » Sat May 20, 2006 8:35 pm

Yeah, a USB one is even worse. I tried getting one for my laptop, and had horrible results. As for the card you mentioned, I never tried Happauge, so I don't know about their quality. But AIW cards are great and have no problems with video-in.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 » Sat May 20, 2006 8:38 pm

I have a $40 ATI PCI card and it seems to work fine with Video games. I have played N64, ps2, gamecube games and it looks great, sounds great and is lag free? MAybe it has to do with your PC's speed although mine isn't anything wonderful. Actually the card is in my alt PC which is only a athlon 1700 1 gig ram geforce 3 video.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy » Sat May 20, 2006 8:52 pm

Veggita2099 wrote:I have a $40 ATI PCI card and it seems to work fine with Video games. I have played N64, ps2, gamecube games and it looks great, sounds great and is lag free? MAybe it has to do with your PC's speed although mine isn't anything wonderful. Actually the card is in my alt PC which is only a athlon 1700 1 gig ram geforce 3 video.
It was a 2.4ghz P4 with a gig of ram. And I assure you, there was around 0.3 seconds of lag. And when I sold it to a friend of mine, although he didn't notice it right away, when we booted up his Xbox and played Soul Calibur II on it, he found that his timing was all screwed up.

Anyway, maybe it was just my card, maybe it was some bad drivers, maybe some planets aligned and caused some miraculous occurance were we both instantly started sucking at Soul Calibur. But I know that the ATI PCI TV Tuner has slight lag.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose » Sat May 20, 2006 9:17 pm

I have a ATI TV Wonder Elite and get about one fulkl second of lag whenevr I try hook something up to it. I have a really good PC too.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler » Sun May 21, 2006 1:29 am

I was using mine on a 1.7GHz, first-generation P4 with 256MB RAM under WinXP. Like I said, I never had any problems either with a PCI card or later with the All-in-Wonder.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit » Sun May 21, 2006 3:40 pm

On a related note can someone recommend free software for recording / displaying video from a tuner card? I've tried VirtualDub and DScaler with both a PCI card and geforce VIVO but it is always a frame or two behind. I'm guessing it's the de-interlacing that kills it but who knows? :|
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 » Mon May 22, 2006 6:12 am

If its just a slight amount of lag I just might not have noticed it then? But I did record the ending to Final Fantasy X and a couple of other games on it and there was no lag that I could really tell.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665