Cell Phone help...understanding BREW and Java

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cell Phone help...understanding BREW and Java

Post by jessman »

Hey guys. I just got a nicer cell phone for dirt cheap and while it is pretty cool and easier to use than my old one, can someone please explain how to add games to it using BREW or Java? I know that my cell phone supports BREW applications, but I'm not sure about Java. Btw, my phone is a Kyocera KX16. According to the Kyocera website, I should be able to add more games to it after buying the USB connector, and I plan to, but I don't really know how to add games once I buy the things that I need.

I have about 60 cell phone games on my hard drive, but will they work on my phone? The games are meant to be played on most Nokia phones, but I've read that they might work on mine too. Can someone please show some kindness and explain the differences between BREW and Java, and maybe provide a link to where I could score some free or cheap games? Thanks for everything.

EDIT: Here's my phone. http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C4392/

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Nokia phones use Symbian, not Java, so your warez packs probably won't run.

http://www.getjar.com would be a good place to see if anything will run on your phone, but the page you linked had zero useful specifications for it other than the comical pictures skynet just linked.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Virgin Mobile sells those controller attachements for their flip phones. We sell them at Best Buy, although 'sell' can be debated. I suppose it would be more appropriate to say that we let them sit on the shelf and collect dust since I don't think anyone has ever bought one.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

melancholy wrote:
Virgin Mobile sells those controller attachements for their flip phones. We sell them at Best Buy, although 'sell' can be debated. I suppose it would be more appropriate to say that we let them sit on the shelf and collect dust since I don't think anyone has ever bought one.
i've seen them for sprint phones aswell.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I don't think we have those here, but I haven't been to a Virgin store for a while, so maybe they have them in there. Dunno...

Either way it looks ridiculous.

toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Nyarlathotep wrote:Nokia phones use Symbian, not Java, so your warez packs probably won't run.

http://www.getjar.com would be a good place to see if anything will run on your phone, but the page you linked had zero useful specifications for it other than the comical pictures skynet just linked.
Depends on the phone. Nokia smartphones use Symbian, others use Java. Like my 3120.
No signature.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

Warez packs? lol. I have what most people would call "cell phone homebrew". The games even say that they're free when they run in my java cell phone emulator. I wouldn't know where to look for pay-to-play games. Anyways, the controller attachment DOES look goofy, but the actual phone is pretty sweet.

http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/candid-phone/ Anyways, here's the official info. The reason why I posted the previous link was because it stated that it could play java games. My mom's Nokia 6255i plays java games, and it's a really good phone, among other things. http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6255i This is hers. Just please, someone tell me if there's a program or something that will let me transfer files to my phone. I have the data cable and some software with it, but it only lets me trade ringtones and photos.

<^_^>
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

If your phone shows up in Explorer as a removable storage device you should be able to drag and drop .jar files into it, if that doesnt work you can always go to the site with your games on via WAP / GSRM and download them.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

That sounds like a good idea, but what's this WAP and stuff? I'm sorry, but I'm new to cell phones. How would I go about getting to the site with my phone? My current plan doesn't allow me to go online with my phone itself, so if there's any way to trick it or something via the data cable, please let me know.

<^_^>
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

If you didn't get any software bundled with the phone and / or data cable, then you should check the manufacturers webpage for some kind of file manager app if Windows doesnt recognise it as a removable drive
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

sigh...I appreciate everyone's time and patience, but my usb cable came with software. My pc doesn't recognise my phone as a removable drive so I have to use the app bundled with the cable. But the thing is, the software won't let me peek into my phone, and I can only transfer ringtones and photos with the software provided.

I downloaded a program called "Polyphonic Wizard" that allows you to easily send files to your phone but even though my phone is supported by it, I still need to access the internet on my phone to get games on it. I'm on a REALLY great plan where I only pay $3.00 a month for 1200 minutes, so I don't want to switch to a $30-40 plan JUST for a few games.

Shoot. Well, I guess I created yet another futile thread, huh? Thanks for being so kind, everyone, but I guess there's no real way to get games on my phone without paying ten times what I do now...Damnit!

<^_^>
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

If you can rename file extensions on your phone (I think one of mine let me do that) rename the game to a .jpg (or whatever filetype it uses) and send it across. Once it's on there, rename it back to the original extension.

Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

If you haven't already, head over to howard forums and ask around. That's usually where I go for cell phone related questions.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

I'm a member at Howard forums, but no one's replying to my thread there, lol. Sheesh. Look's like I coughed up over $150 for nothing, huh?

EDIT: I was able to change the extension of the files and send them to my phone, but I couldn't change them back on my phone. It just says that they're corrupt. Damn...

<^_^>
GratefulDead
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by GratefulDead »

Howard forums are a great place to start.

Just a quick question, who the heck is your wireless provider? And what's your real rate plan?
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

I live in Alaska, and my service provider is local. They're called "Alaska Digitel" and I don't want to give up my 1200 for $3.00 a month.

<^_^>