Wii

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...Also, I think it should launch with a Splinter Cell game.

"Hey, guy. What're you doing?"
"Playing with Peanut Butter Monkey on my Wii."
"o...o-KAY, then....."
mink03
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mink03 »

damn this thread filled up quick... just when I thought I was gonna have something good to start..
crabcakes
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

MetaFox wrote:
Nick wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
JellyWarrior wrote:Disney's "Winnie the Pooh"
Ahem..Disney's? I don't think so. :P
It actually is Disney who makes the movies and cartoons based off of Winnie the Pooh.
Not to mention that fact that they now own the characters and the rights to the AA Milne books.
Sorry to bring this OT but..

Whether Disney own the rights or not doesnt matter. The original sentence implies that Disney came up with the whole "pooh" thing...which isn't true. Disney have limited rights in certain countries, some of which have already begun to expire. They don't own the brand outright at all.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

not just souLLy now wrote:two "i"s do look like people, which is clever...
the two "i"s is also a stylised silhouette of the revmote and nunchuka from a top down view
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

Or they might just be 2 "i"s.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Ex-Cyber wrote:I think it's worth keeping in mind that most console names are stupid on one level or another. In this case it's just more juvenile than usual.
True...Nintendo Entertainment System. Super Nintendo Entertainment System. Fami(ly) Com(puter). Mega Drive. Play Station. X Box. Turbo Graf-x. PC Engine. Video Computer System. Dream Cast. Game Boy. Wonder Swan. Virtual Boy. Say them all slowly.

I suppose "Revolution" would be pretty ostentatious...almost as much so as "Genesis." And can you imagine the advertising? Misappropriated snippits from John Lennon songs; it would be the worst misuse of music since those CCR Levi's ads.

...though there's no denying: Wii does kinda take the cake for silliness. I'd have to say WonderSwan and Dreamcast get second and third place, though (I never did get why they chose that over "Katana").
Keep in mind that you usually can't trademark simple nouns. This is why companies make up words for products. If Nintendo had simply called it the Revolution, they wouldn't be able to trademark the name, and tons of clones and spinoffs would appear on the market.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Bertrude wrote:Or they might just be 2 "i"s.
And the Arrow on the Fed Ex Logo might be an accident.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

Slashdot has a post on why Wii is bad, good, and weird.

Personally I was waiting for something positive to emerge out of the mess. Also nice to be reminded that there have been worse console names in the past.

edit: While I'm linking to tons of sites, here is today's Penny Arcade :D
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

While I understand the positive side of Wii, and where Nintendo are probably trying to go with this clever branding, I can't help but feel that they could achieve the same thing with a better sounding name. It isn't so much that Wii sounds dumb, because as that top 10 chart shows, there are some pretty dumb console names. But if I'd never heard of a "gizmondo" and you asked me what one was I'd be thinking of an electronic device. Wii just doesn't conjure up anything about what it is to me, it could just as easily be a new type of cleaning product as it could be a games console.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

I thought the Dreamcast was one of the better console names... IMO Sega has always had good ones... well besides master system and game gear.

Sega Genesis
Sega Saturn
Sega Dreamcast

THat is just my opinion though.... i've always though "PlayStation" was the queerest.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Skynet wrote::o

I dunno what to say. I'll still get one.

They should do this. You know back in the genesis days it was called the Mega Drive in PAL regions (I guess all of the PAL regions? not sure).
In Japan as well, America was the odd one out for that system.
Humpin' Hasney wrote:I just read that "Koch" will be distributin "Wii" in the UK on joystiq. I'm not making that up.
'Mr salesman give me Wii from Koch right now' its set to sell well in germany & if they make a gold one they'll clean up :lol:
Minor serious bit its probably gonna change again before it comes out anyway, I'd hate to see the playground system wars if it doesnt.
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

If this wasn't just a publicity stunt to get people to talk more about Nintendo's new system, then I'll be quite surprised.
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

MetaFox wrote:If this wasn't just a publicity stunt to get people to talk more about Nintendo's new system, then I'll be quite surprised.
Ditto.

Lol, I remember reading a comment like "Damn, and nintendo was on a roll too :("

By the way the internet exploded the other day, it seems this boulder is still rolling. Good job Nintendo!

Still, imagine going to a game shop and asking "Where's the we section?"
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

To be honest, I'll buy one, but there's no way in hell I'm ever gonna buy any "Wii" merch from a store. It's all going to be online. I'm also going to be silent about it, and mention its name as little as possible. Imagine going into Toys R Us and asking for a Wii, and all the little kids and their mothers turning around and staring. Christ.

It's a testament to the faith I have in Nintendo that I'll buy the thing at all. Seriously, that name is embarassing.

"Excuse me sir, what's that sleek looking device under your TV?"
"Why, that's my Wii!"
"...your Wii?"
"Yes, my Wii! Wanna see?"
"Err...no, that's quite alright..."
Very sexy hero, omg
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

What would be the problem about going up and asking for "The Nintendo Wii"?

That would put an end to all of the childish jokes that the clerks might give you. Or the evil looks that people who didn't know about the Wii would give.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

butters wrote:Keep in mind that you usually can't trademark simple nouns.
Says who? Microsoft managed to get trademarks for "Windows", "Sneakers", "Natural", and "Halo", among others.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

"I like my wii"
"really?I like my wii too"
"But you don't have a wii"
"yes I do, wanna see it"
"sure"
"here it is!
"holy Shiza, put your wii away"
"told you I had one!"
Have you played dreamcast today?
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
butters wrote:Keep in mind that you usually can't trademark simple nouns.
Says who? Microsoft managed to get trademarks for "Windows", "Sneakers", "Natural", and "Halo", among others.
Do you have any clue how much money probably had to be expended to get those trademarks? Can you say bribe? Also notice that most of their list of trademarks include the word Microsoft before the word.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Also notice that most of their list of trademarks include the word Microsoft before the word.
So what's wrong with Nintendo Revolution then?

They should've called it N5 though. That'll show that louzy PS3. 2 whole numbers in front!
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

Skynet wrote:
Also notice that most of their list of trademarks include the word Microsoft before the word.
So what's wrong with Nintendo Revolution then?

They should've called it N5 though. That'll show that louzy PS3. 2 whole numbers in front!
But 355 less than the 360. Oh noes.

Although I don't hate the name, I do hope they will say "jk lol" at E3 just for their image.