MP3 to WMA converter?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

MP3 to WMA converter?

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Does anybody know of a free program that will convert MP3s to WMAs?
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

windows media encoder is free and its primary purpose is of course converting material to windows media (can do both audio and video)
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Cdex.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

I'm going to have to agree with Vchat on this one. If you want WMA, then definitely use Windows Media Encoder. Microsoft is the only one who can reliably follow their own formats since they change them up so often and never release the specifications of them.
No signature.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Why would you want to do this?

... it's like recording your DVD to a MiniDisc (or another trashy format that isn't as versatile)...
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Smaller file size. My first mp3 player was a wma/mp3 player. I could fit nearly double the amount of wma files that I could mp3 files.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

i use itunes to do that when i need to...
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

agreed. although I prefer mp3 because it can go just about anywhere compared to wma (*cough* dvd player *cough*), wma beats mp3 in quality/bitrate ratio. Ive been able to have great sounding wma's at 96k/44khz/stereo
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

toastman wrote:I'm going to have to agree with Vchat on this one. If you want WMA, then definitely use Windows Media Encoder. Microsoft is the only one who can reliably follow their own formats since they change them up so often and never release the specifications of them.
Every programme I've seen than can create WMAs is simply a front-end that uses the official encoder.

I find dBPowerAmp to be fairly easy to use, and certainly less fiddly than using the actual Windows Media Encoder programme, particularly when dealing with lots of files.
Vchat20 wrote:wma beats mp3 in quality/bitrate ratio.
Actually, WMA is only superior at low bitrates. Once you get to around 128kbps, a properly-encoded MP3 will beat it by a not-insignificant amount.

http://www.rjamorim.com/test/multiforma ... sults.html

Since that test, LAME has seen a few performance increases, whilst WMA has stood still.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Thomas wrote:Cdex.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

The reason I want to convert MP3s to WMAs is because my cellphone (LG VX8100) has much better support for WMAs than for MP3s. It can play both, but since WMA is the officialy supported format, you can do things like create playlists and sort using the ID tags, where with MP3...all you can do is dump them in a folder and the only way to sort them is by file name. Also...with only 1GB of storage...the smaller file size is a plus. And...virtually every CD I own is currently in MP3 format on my harddrive...which is why I'm looking at converting as opposed to re-ripping from CDs.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

Vlad Tepes wrote:The reason I want to convert MP3s to WMAs is because my cellphone (LG VX8100) has much better support for WMAs than for MP3s. It can play both, but since WMA is the officialy supported format, you can do things like create playlists and sort using the ID tags, where with MP3...all you can do is dump them in a folder and the only way to sort them is by file name. Also...with only 1GB of storage...the smaller file size is a plus. And...virtually every CD I own is currently in MP3 format on my harddrive...which is why I'm looking at converting as opposed to re-ripping from CDs.
if you want to do that, then i would think itunes would be your best bet.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods