Opera 9 Preview 2

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Opera 9 Preview 2

Post by JellyWarrior »

Just letting you know that you know that Opera 9 Preview 2 has been released, you can get it at:
http://snapshot.opera.com/

Opera has come a really long was in recent years. I remember a time when it was slow, was plagued with rendering problems, poor css support and authentication issues.

Opera 9.0 seems to address just about all my major complaints. The CSS support is excelent (even supports CSS 3.0), pages render great, it's fast and great looking.

Now that it's free, its almost converted me plenty of times, but Firefox still has the edge for me (because of it's extension support).

PS. Firefox 2.0 Alpha is also due out on 10 Feb, it's supposed to include phishing protection, improved tabbed browsing, and inline spell checking amongst other things.
I am involved in : Mytalk | Comet TV | Distinctive Web Services
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

Nice, I'll try it, I was disapointed with 8 and 9 beta mail was not so good on the first beta. Right now I'm using 7.54u2 best browser I ever used.
THAN/THEN get it right peoples!
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

Looks sweet I downloaded it to my flash drive I'll try it out later when I get home.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Firefox 1.5 has been dissapointing to say the least. I am seriously considering Opera, especially if that alpha goes wack.

What opera needs is extensions.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

Sir Savant wrote:Firefox 1.5 has been dissapointing to say the least. I am seriously considering Opera, especially if that alpha goes wack.

You know it is possible to have more then one Web Browser on your PC. I have 4 myself just because I like to support the Open Source Community and also because ocasionaly I switch between them when certain webpages don't load correctly with one.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Opera is a nice browser, and I used to use it long before Firefox existed, but I can't stand its interface.
It's thinking...
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I'm more of a classic rock/hiphop kind of guy.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

navi wrote:
Sir Savant wrote:Firefox 1.5 has been dissapointing to say the least. I am seriously considering Opera, especially if that alpha goes wack.

You know it is possible to have more then one Web Browser on your PC. I have 4 myself just because I like to support the Open Source Community and also because ocasionaly I switch between them when certain webpages don't load correctly with one.
I actually have quite a few browsers. OBO, Firefox, IE(oh noes!), MYIE2, Lynx.

Unfortunately, I am low on hard drive space. Extensions would definitely (sp?) pull me over to the dark side.

But I am trying it out at school (yay for admin access!). So there is hope for the anakin in me.
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 »

trying out opera 9.0 p2 right now. seems faster than 8.51.
DC FoReVeR.!!!
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly

Post by JellyWarrior »

navi wrote:

Sounds like you need IE View, it's a great little extension that adds the IE rendering engine to Firefox. If a web site gives you trouble then you simply click the IE icon and then problem solved!
I am involved in : Mytalk | Comet TV | Distinctive Web Services
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Sir Savant wrote:
navi wrote:

I actually have quite a few browsers. OBO, Firefox, IE(oh noes!), MYIE2, Lynx.

Unfortunately, I am low on hard drive space. Extensions would definitely (sp?) pull me over to the dark side.

But I am trying it out at school (yay for admin access!). So there is hope for the anakin in me.
Opera has the ability to use plugins. There just aren't very many of them.

My biggest problem with opera is that since i have it set to store like... every url ever typed into the address bar, it takes forever once i type the www. and it pulls up a hundred million responses.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

You can clear those or set it to do that automatically.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

my point is that i want them all to be there. If i wanted to clear them i could do it easily. i wish though that i could have it both store all my old addresses, but wait until i'm done typing www. to start narrowing down the search, so that i wouldn't have to wait like... 30-120 seconds before typing in the rest.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

I'm rockin' the Firefox with no plugins. Starts fast, doesn't give me any problems, and it works perfectly. No viruses, no bullshit going on. It works.

And that's all I ask for.
Very sexy hero, omg
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

Preview 2 of Opera is really good I like when you have multiple tabs you can move the mouse pointer to a tab and it shows a screenshot of the page in that tab.

Show widgets is also interesting, lots of new stuff.
THAN/THEN get it right peoples!
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Quzar wrote:my point is that i want them all to be there. If i wanted to clear them i could do it easily. i wish though that i could have it both store all my old addresses, but wait until i'm done typing www. to start narrowing down the search, so that i wouldn't have to wait like... 30-120 seconds before typing in the rest.
You know you don't have to type "www", right? Especially if it's a site you've been to before. Opera (along with Firefox and, I believe, IE) will start pulling up that site's address without you typing "www". For instance, if you simply start typing "dcemula", it should pull up the address: http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/index.php
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 »

or you can just bookmark the site.
DC FoReVeR.!!!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

curt_grymala wrote:
Quzar wrote:my point is that i want them all to be there. If i wanted to clear them i could do it easily. i wish though that i could have it both store all my old addresses, but wait until i'm done typing www. to start narrowing down the search, so that i wouldn't have to wait like... 30-120 seconds before typing in the rest.
You know you don't have to type "www", right? Especially if it's a site you've been to before. Opera (along with Firefox and, I believe, IE) will start pulling up that site's address without you typing "www". For instance, if you simply start typing "dcemula", it should pull up the address: http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/index.php
! i hadn't realized that... i mean, i knew it did that, but it didn't occur to me to always do that and it would sort anyways. that drastically cuts the load time (down to 1-10 seconds, although I'm on my laptop which has MANY less addresses on it than my desktop, so as soon as i get my desktop fixed i'll see how long it takes there). thanks.

and hrb2k3, i have every site i go to frequently opened all the time, with the session saved to open as default, but every once in a while i'll navigate through links to some random page that i won't save, but later will be like hrm... what was that, all i remember is it started with bea, ah there we go.