State of the Union Address *2006*

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by |darc| »

Covar wrote:
jaredfogle wrote:Call it a Freudian slip or a Straussian insertion, but I'm telling you that these assholes want us to be the New Rome.
Rome was one of the greatest civilizations of its time.
Correction: Rome was THE greatest civilization EVER.
It's thinking...
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nemesis »

|darc| wrote:
Covar wrote:
jaredfogle wrote:Call it a Freudian slip or a Straussian insertion, but I'm telling you that these assholes want us to be the New Rome.
Yes, it was, however you can easily see the parallels between the reasons Rome fell, and what is happening today in America...
Feel it, Don't think
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

Yes, it was, however you can easily see the parallels between the reasons Rome fell, and what is happening today in America...
The gays?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

N3m3sis wrote:
|darc| wrote:
Covar wrote:
Oh, I do agree with you on that.
It's thinking...
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

|darc| wrote:
Covar wrote:
Why?
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Lartrak wrote:
|darc| wrote:
Covar wrote:
Why?
Because it was.
It's thinking...
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Lartrak wrote:
|darc| wrote:
Covar wrote:
Why?
Because someone takes Latin and they need justification. ;)
Unless you are going into either the medical or legal fields, there is a lot of Latin used there.
No signature.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

toastman wrote:
Lartrak wrote:
|darc| wrote:
Covar wrote:
Why?
Unless you are going into either the medical or legal fields, there is a lot of Latin used there.
Or language.
It's thinking...
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

|darc| wrote:
Lartrak wrote:
|darc| wrote:
Covar wrote:
Why?
Because it was.
Perhaps you could explain what "greatest" means then. There are many definitions. What makes it greater than, say, Western civilization as a whole, or Chinese civilization?
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

you can make smashing films based on it.

personally i'd vote for the Chinese as at least they've been around non-stop for over 5,000 years, and where way ahead of anyone else for at least half that.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

mikozero wrote:you can make smashing films based on it.

personally i'd vote for the Chinese as at least they've been around non-stop for over 5,000 years, and where way ahead of anyone else for at least half that.
They were generally ahead of the rest of the world in most ways (opinion, of course) until around 1500 ADish, when Europe began to pull ahead and China stagnated some.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

On a whole (meaning from the organization of itself as an identifiable people), I'd say Great Britain was, if not the, most accomplished civilization. I don't like to grant that as bragging rights, but no one's conquered as much of the world and spread their language so widely across the globe. In modern times, American culture has doubled that influence.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

|darc| wrote:
toastman wrote:
Lartrak wrote:
|darc| wrote:
Covar wrote:
Why?
Or language.
Might as well study German, seeing as how the English is Germanic in origin rather than Romantic. Latin does form the roots of several languages, French and Spanish being the two biggest ones, but you ignore all of the Slavic and Oriental languages. And all of the African languages, or course.
No signature.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

|darc| wrote:
toastman wrote:
Lartrak wrote:
|darc| wrote:
Covar wrote:
Why?
Or language.
or theology.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

Covar wrote:
|darc| wrote:
toastman wrote:
Lartrak wrote:
|darc| wrote:
Covar wrote:
Why?
Or language.
or theology.
or botany
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

this thread sucks
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

This is Current Events. all threads here suck.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

toastman wrote:
|darc| wrote:
toastman wrote:
Lartrak wrote:
|darc| wrote:
Covar wrote:
Why?
Or language.
Might as well study German, seeing as how the English is Germanic in origin rather than Romantic. Latin does form the roots of several languages, French and Spanish being the two biggest ones, but you ignore all of the Slavic and Oriental languages. And all of the African languages, or course.
You don't have to school me on languages, I am more than informed in that area. I am in German right now, anyway. Also, although English is Germanic in origin, well over 60% of its vocabulary is descended from Latin, especially because of its use as a lingua franca. I don't want to study English, anyway. My primary interest and passion is the Romance languages. My educational objective is to learn them all.

Edit: I was being jokingly arrogant about my comment on Rome, and although I believe it is true, it's just my opinion. I have a greater appreciation for Roman culture than I do Chinese; it doesn't mean one is actually greater than the other.
It's thinking...
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

|darc| wrote:
toastman wrote:
|darc| wrote:
toastman wrote:
Lartrak wrote:
|darc| wrote:
Covar wrote:
Why?
Or language.
You don't have to school me on languages, I am more than informed in that area. I am in German right now, anyway. Also, although English is Germanic in origin, well over 60% of its vocabulary is descended from Latin, especially because of its use as a lingua franca. I don't want to study English, anyway. My primary interest and passion is the Romance languages. My educational objective is to learn them all.

Edit: I was being jokingly arrogant about my comment on Rome, and although I believe it is true, it's just my opinion. I have a greater appreciation for Roman culture than I do Chinese; it doesn't mean one is actually greater than the other.
Yeah, I knew what you were doing. I just felt like being a bit of an ass with it. Oh well.

BTW, where did you hear the 60%? I'm not sure I doubt it (it's amazing how much of my latin dictionary I can understand), but I am curious.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Lartrak wrote:BTW, where did you hear the 60%? I'm not sure I doubt it (it's amazing how much of my latin dictionary I can understand), but I am curious.
I do not remember exactly where I heard that from, it might have been my Latin teacher. Wikipedia says 80%. "It is said that 80% of all scholarly English words are derived from Latin, in a large number of cases by way of French."
It's thinking...