Setting up the internet on Ubuntu

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Setting up the internet on Ubuntu

Post by ptr.exe »

I know never to refer to Windows when you have a problem, but in XP this just worked from the off.

My ADSL modem/router is set up with two other PCs working great, and the XP installed on this machine connects fine.

However, I can't connect to the internet in Ubuntu, and I can't seem to find any options that could help this or a guide that deals with something this basic.

I assumed since no settings were needed in XP that Ubuntu would have the same thing - just connect without me telling it anything.

Could someone help me out or point me towards a guide?

Thanks.
Orange_Ribbon wrote:It is also the reason why you can't wear tight pants. Damn anal warts.

Millenium Falcon Dreamcast
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Type "sudo ifconfig" in the console and see if it says anything about being assigned an IP address besides 127.0.0.1.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

How have you got this stuff all set up? What model router do you have, how's everything connected up, and so on.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

However, I can't connect to the internet in Ubuntu, and I can't seem to find any options that could help this or a guide that deals with something this basic.
Mine said it was setting it up during the installation, although that was Kubuntu. Once it was installed and booted up for the first time my network was accessable and internet access was there.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

Sorry, I should have added more detail.

When installing it said it had set up the network with DHCP. I could see the access lights flashing on my router when it was setting up so it definately was speaking to it.

The PC has a PCI ethernet adaptor connected to my Addon GWAR3000 router via an RJ45 cable.

Xylene:

Code: Select all

Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:06:4F:25:96:83
          inet addr:192.168.1.4  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::206:4fff:fe25:9683/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:17 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:35 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:2608 (2.5 KiB)  TX bytes:3143 (3.0 KiB)
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0x1000
btw, I had to re-install XP yesterday (only on the original XP partition) which has now stopped GRUB from working, so no Ubuntu :(
Orange_Ribbon wrote:It is also the reason why you can't wear tight pants. Damn anal warts.

BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

You have an IP address, which looks like it was assigned by DHCP, so the hardware and drivers seem fine, and you can at least send and recieve packets from the router. So it's probably an IP-related problem.

First, find out the router's IP address. It's probably 192.168.1.1. Try pinging it using the ping command (press Ctrl+C to stop it):

ping 192.168.1.1
Assuming that works, check the gateway setup. Type this command:

route
You should see a result like this:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
localnet        *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
If that's not set up correctly, your router's DHCP implementation is probably broken (probably only ever tested on a Windows machine, like mine appears to have been), and you'll have to resort to setting things up manually. The gateway should the same as your router's IP address.

If that's set up correctly, try pinging something on the internet by IP address, such as Ubuntu's web site:

ping 82.211.81.166
Next, check the DNS setup:

cat /etc/resolv.conf
You should have something like:

nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
That should either be the IP address of your router, if your router has a built-in DNS server, or the IP address of your ISP's DNS servers. If it's not your router, try pinging it. If it's not the address of a DNS server, you probably have a DHCP problem.

Assuming you can ping the DNS server, try pinging a website by name, like:

ping www.ubuntu.com
If that doesn't work, you probably have a DNS problem. If the DNS server is the router, it might have problems with Linux clients (mine does - it takes 30 seconds to respond, and fails 90% of the time. Still, it fails on Windows machines 20% of the time...).
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

You might need to reinstall grub first.

SmartBoot Manager would be the way to go, and you could probably use that to boot into linux or something.
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

I'll reinstall GRUB so I can get into Ubuntu and then post the results of trying that.

Thanks BlackAura, I pinged my router's IP before, it was the first thing I tried to do. The results were that 5 packets were sent and 5 packets were lost :(
I think your correct in saying that DHCP may not have worked with my router.

I'll try all the things you said and post the results.

Thanks for the help so far :wink: