Free Computers?!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
wes1406
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Free Computers?!

Post by wes1406 »

I need to pad my resume a bit, and can't seem to find any tech related volunteering in my area, so I got to thinking.

I'm going to try and get pc parts donated through my local Freecycle group, and then build PCs to donate to schools and other charitable organizations.

Now, my questions are these :

1. Is this a good idea?
2. Can I put something like this on my resume?
3. Are there any other ways that I can get pc parts donated to me?

Thanks a bundle
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

1. It seems like a decent Idea if your trying to be nice or something. Personally I only make free computers for my friends.
2. Yes you can put that on your Resume. It would be Volunter Work just be more specific.
3. Ask People?
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Re: Free Computers?!

Post by toastman »

wes1406 wrote:I need to pad my resume a bit, and can't seem to find any tech related volunteering in my area, so I got to thinking.

I'm going to try and get pc parts donated through my local Freecycle group, and then build PCs to donate to schools and other charitable organizations.

Now, my questions are these :

1. Is this a good idea?
2. Can I put something like this on my resume?
3. Are there any other ways that I can get pc parts donated to me?

Thanks a bundle
Just a note, I put my work on DC projects on my resume.
No signature.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I built and set up 3 computers for a church for their preschool kids. I also trained the teachers how to use them. It made a nice little summer project, and was definately added on my resume under Interests.

One thing I should note, though. You say that you want to make them for schools and other organizations. I would just pick one organization and go with it. I was suprised how much time I had to invest just getting those three computers up and running, finding locations for the computers in the classroom, wiring it all up so that the kids wouldn't mess with them, then setting up all the games and such so that there was minimal hassle. I had to cover all my bases on how a child could mess up the computer. And after I did all that, I then had to teach the teachers how to use them and how to avoid minor problems. I was also able to get a digital camera donated for the teachers, which required a lot more instruction on how to use it properly. A worthwile experience, but a lot of work for just three computers.

So when you start this, think small. Go to one place, see if they need any computers and volunteer your time. Don't go to 3 or 4 places and make commitments, because you just might get in over your head. If something goes wrong, they will look to you to fix it. If they get something new, they will need you to install it. And if they get funding for a whole new project, they might just ask you to come back. So think about this stuff.

As for where to get parts, I actually posted a topic on these boards and received lots of help. I was given copies of Windows, CD drives, and was even offered two running computers to donate (although shipping costs eventually caused the deal to fall through). Also, another big source was rummage sales. I was able to get two perfectly good computers with decent specs for $20. I also picked up a CD-Rom for $2 and a monitor for $20 (monitors were the hardest to find, BTW). I even convinced the manager at Best Buy to donate two old register monitors towards the cause (they had some burn in, but the kids won't care). You would be amazed where you can find computer parts.

Anyway, this was my experience. It's extremely rewarding and makes great conversations in interviews. Hopefully my advice helps you.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: Free Computers?!

Post by BlackAura »

toastman wrote:Just a note, I put my work on DC projects on my resume.
Really? That never would have occurred to me. Do you think it helped at all?
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

I can't believe you don't do that, BlackAura... My resume is full of little details that most people wouldn't include in their own, but the little things often make employers take a second look at my resume instead of just throwing it out.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I think it's a damn good idea. It shows that you care about your community and your competence with electronics. Are there organizations like this? I'd be surprised if you were the first, but maybe you can setup a local chapter.

Just today my friend who knows nothing about computers said him and his wife got a new one as a Christmas gift and asked me if I wanted anything from the old one that (that the never used). Whatever I don't take they will probably just end up throwing out.

I see terrible computers being sold at Goodwill for way high prices all the time. Computers that old should be free.

I really believe there is A LOT of this stuff. To get started I would recommend contacting your local paper. I think speaking directly with companies and stores will get you no where and you have to get them from families. I don't think stores can give them away so easily if it is a small business.

Not to say that it's impossible if it is a larger corporation. My dad is a serious dumpster diver and such a large percentage of our computers have been trash picked over the past 15 years. Right now I'm looking at my monitor, speakers, DVD drive, CDRW, floppy, case, power supply, keyboard and external hard drive.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

ace wrote:I can't believe you don't do that, BlackAura... My resume is full of little details that most people wouldn't include in their own, but the little things often make employers take a second look at my resume instead of just throwing it out.
it's true, putting in a random detail that i'd done some design work on emulation sites was the detail that got me an interview for one company, i was told this in person. your qualifications and work experience tell you very little about a person. when i was interviewing for an assistant for my job, in general it was the details that gave me some idea of a person's interests and personality that helped me choose someone... usually qualifications for a position are roughly the same for most applicants anyway right?