Sony Mimics Nintendo?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Green Ranger
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sony Mimics Nintendo?

Post by Green Ranger »

PlayStation 2 controller from SplitFish GameWare mimics Miyamoto's nunchaku joystick.

Nintendo's innovation may be catching on. At this week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, CNET.com reporter Will Greenwald reports on a PlayStation 2 controller that looks awfully familiar. Greenwald writes that the DualFX Controller is "a two-piece PS2 controller with tethered halves: a gun trigger and an odd laser movement system. The left half of the controller is a fairly average analog stick with a D-pad and shoulder buttons, similar to the left side of a standard PS2 controller. The right half, however, is a gun-like device with a laser pointer. The laser tracks movement in the controller and lets players actively aim in first-person shooters. The laser system proved very inconsistent in hands-on tests, but it is, at the very least, an interesting approach." Look for the DualFX to show up in stores in March for around $60.

Article here: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6142045.html

Yup, should've known something like this would happen eventually... :?
Go Go Power Rangers!!!
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Right, so all the sony fanboys were bashing the revo controller, but it will be released on PS2 and no doubt be dubbed the greatest controller ever? If it's out in march, is that before the revo is released? If so, that will only add more fuel to sony fanboys comments. Seeings how the PS2 one was released first... :roll:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

I usually don't like to handle intense pointless battles like this (I know what I've said about the iPod ;P), but that is ridiculous.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Now you see why it took so long for Nintendo to release details on their controller. It's not even out yet and it's already being copied.
Syd
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Syd »

The laser system proved very inconsistent in hands-on tests, but it is, at the very least, an interesting approach.
This sounds like more of a cheap ripoff than anything else. I haven't heard any of these problems from people that have tried Nintendo's new controller. Nintendo has most likely been working on this idea for a good while longer, so their version will probably be much more reliable.
"and if your kids don't obey you, you can always beat them with a sack of Valencia oranges. They don't leaves bruises and your kids will always know who's boss."
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

Cheap ripoff indeed! Sony will never match Nintendo for quality in software and ingenuity in console or controller design. They have been copying Nintendo since the introduction of N64's analog controller back in 1996.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

It's not Sony though - it's Splitfish Gameware. So, let's stop the Sony bashing, yes?
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

omg teh soni sux!!1 owait rtfa lol

Edit: Image
That's fugly. I'd bitchslap Miyamoto if Nintendo came up with that.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

Take a SNES controller, put grip-sticks on it, and add two more shoulders.

What do you have?
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

A snes controller with analog sticks and 4 shoulder buttons?
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

Savant wrote:A snes controller with analog sticks and 4 shoulder buttons?
Or a PSX controller. However you want to look at it.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

jaredfogle wrote:
Savant wrote:A snes controller with analog sticks and 4 shoulder buttons?
Or a PSX controller. However you want to look at it.
Which is why the Dual Shock is my favorite controller. Because it is an extension of something great.
No signature.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Hawq wrote:Image
That's exactly what I thought when I seen it! :lol:
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Wow, I can't belive Sony thought of a two peice controller that uses movment to control stuff. SWEET!
lynx44
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lynx44 »

First, Sony isn't the one that made it, and second, yes it is a complete rip off. Of coarse it will suck in comparison, games won't be designed to use it.

Anyway, EVERY company in the history of gaming copied Nintendo. The D-pad was created by Nintendo, and nearly every other innovation was. Anolog sticks were started by Nintendo (as far as I remember), then everyone came out with an analog stick, and I'm not sure, but it seems like they were the first to use shoulder buttons. Design stealing is just going to happen. It's not just Sony that does it. Analog triggers on the dreamcast (along with simply the basic look) was copied from Sega by Microsoft. The dual stick format was copied from Sony by Microsoft.

Are better or worse of for doing that? I don't know, but that's just the way it is.

-Matt
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

lynx44 wrote:First, Sony isn't the one that made it, and second, yes it is a complete rip off. Of coarse it will suck in comparison, games won't be designed to use it.

Anyway, EVERY company in the history of gaming copied Nintendo. The D-pad was created by Nintendo, and nearly every other innovation was. Anolog sticks were started by Nintendo (as far as I remember), then everyone came out with an analog stick, and I'm not sure, but it seems like they were the first to use shoulder buttons. Design stealing is just going to happen. It's not just Sony that does it. Analog triggers on the dreamcast (along with simply the basic look) was copied from Sega by Microsoft. The dual stick format was copied from Sony by Microsoft.

Are better or worse of for doing that? I don't know, but that's just the way it is.

-Matt
Things will never be the same.
It's thinking...
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle »

lynx44 wrote:Anyway, EVERY company in the history of gaming copied Nintendo. The D-pad was created by Nintendo, and nearly every other innovation was. Anolog sticks were started by Nintendo (as far as I remember), then everyone came out with an analog stick, and I'm not sure, but it seems like they were the first to use shoulder buttons. Design stealing is just going to happen. It's not just Sony that does it. Analog triggers on the dreamcast (along with simply the basic look) was copied from Sega by Microsoft. The dual stick format was copied from Sony by Microsoft.

-Matt
Every company should make completely different controllers that don't borrow any features from any other controllers, and they should all look different.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

-Orbo- wrote:
lynx44 wrote:Anyway, EVERY company in the history of gaming copied Nintendo. The D-pad was created by Nintendo, and nearly every other innovation was. Anolog sticks were started by Nintendo (as far as I remember), then everyone came out with an analog stick, and I'm not sure, but it seems like they were the first to use shoulder buttons. Design stealing is just going to happen. It's not just Sony that does it. Analog triggers on the dreamcast (along with simply the basic look) was copied from Sega by Microsoft. The dual stick format was copied from Sony by Microsoft.

-Matt
Every company should make completely different controllers that don't borrow any features from any other controllers, and they should all look different.
The only problem with that is going from one console to another would be awkward to learn new control layouts each time.