Sony Mimics Nintendo?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Green Ranger
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 3:19 am
Location: AZ, USA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Sony Mimics Nintendo?

Post by Green Ranger » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:31 pm

PlayStation 2 controller from SplitFish GameWare mimics Miyamoto's nunchaku joystick.

Nintendo's innovation may be catching on. At this week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, CNET.com reporter Will Greenwald reports on a PlayStation 2 controller that looks awfully familiar. Greenwald writes that the DualFX Controller is "a two-piece PS2 controller with tethered halves: a gun trigger and an odd laser movement system. The left half of the controller is a fairly average analog stick with a D-pad and shoulder buttons, similar to the left side of a standard PS2 controller. The right half, however, is a gun-like device with a laser pointer. The laser tracks movement in the controller and lets players actively aim in first-person shooters. The laser system proved very inconsistent in hands-on tests, but it is, at the very least, an interesting approach." Look for the DualFX to show up in stores in March for around $60.


Article here: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6142045.html

Yup, should've known something like this would happen eventually... :?
Go Go Power Rangers!!!
User avatar
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800
Posts: 8595
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 6:27 pm
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by Skynet » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:52 pm

Right, so all the sony fanboys were bashing the revo controller, but it will be released on PS2 and no doubt be dubbed the greatest controller ever? If it's out in march, is that before the revo is released? If so, that will only add more fuel to sony fanboys comments. Seeings how the PS2 one was released first... :roll:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
User avatar
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Posts: 4972
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:52 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times
Contact:

Post by pixel » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:24 am

I usually don't like to handle intense pointless battles like this (I know what I've said about the iPod ;P), but that is ridiculous.
User avatar
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer
Posts: 2804
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2001 7:44 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times
Contact:

Post by MetaFox » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:32 am

Now you see why it took so long for Nintendo to release details on their controller. It's not even out yet and it's already being copied.
User avatar
Syd
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 7:45 pm
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Syd » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:57 am

The laser system proved very inconsistent in hands-on tests, but it is, at the very least, an interesting approach.
This sounds like more of a cheap ripoff than anything else. I haven't heard any of these problems from people that have tried Nintendo's new controller. Nintendo has most likely been working on this idea for a good while longer, so their version will probably be much more reliable.
"and if your kids don't obey you, you can always beat them with a sack of Valencia oranges. They don't leaves bruises and your kids will always know who's boss."
User avatar
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:24 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by HomerCIDAL » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:10 am

Cheap ripoff indeed! Sony will never match Nintendo for quality in software and ingenuity in console or controller design. They have been copying Nintendo since the introduction of N64's analog controller back in 1996.
User avatar
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer
Posts: 2804
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2001 7:44 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times
Contact:

Post by MetaFox » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:51 am

It's not Sony though - it's Splitfish Gameware. So, let's stop the Sony bashing, yes?
User avatar
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Posts: 4972
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:52 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times
Contact:

Post by pixel » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:43 am

omg teh soni sux!!1 owait rtfa lol

Edit: Image
That's fugly. I'd bitchslap Miyamoto if Nintendo came up with that.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster
Posts: 2663
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:34 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by jaredfogle » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:52 pm

Take a SNES controller, put grip-sticks on it, and add two more shoulders.

What do you have?
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight
Posts: 3652
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:26 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Sir Savant » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:10 pm

A snes controller with analog sticks and 4 shoulder buttons?
User avatar
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Posts: 7817
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2002 1:43 pm
Location: Great Britain
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by Hawq » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:06 pm

Image
Image
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster
Posts: 2663
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:34 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by jaredfogle » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:01 pm

Savant wrote:A snes controller with analog sticks and 4 shoulder buttons?
Or a PSX controller. However you want to look at it.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
User avatar
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice
Posts: 4933
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2001 3:08 am
Location: New Orleans
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by toastman » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:29 pm

jaredfogle wrote:
Savant wrote:A snes controller with analog sticks and 4 shoulder buttons?
Or a PSX controller. However you want to look at it.
Which is why the Dual Shock is my favorite controller. Because it is an extension of something great.
No signature.
User avatar
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
Posts: 10966
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2001 12:34 am
Location: Indiana
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by melancholy » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:57 pm

Hawq wrote:Image
That's exactly what I thought when I seen it! :lol:
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader
Posts: 2553
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 7:38 pm
Location: Insert Witty Comment here
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by Orange_Ribbon » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:31 am

Wow, I can't belive Sony thought of a two peice controller that uses movment to control stuff. SWEET!
lynx44
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:53 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by lynx44 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:12 am

First, Sony isn't the one that made it, and second, yes it is a complete rip off. Of coarse it will suck in comparison, games won't be designed to use it.

Anyway, EVERY company in the history of gaming copied Nintendo. The D-pad was created by Nintendo, and nearly every other innovation was. Anolog sticks were started by Nintendo (as far as I remember), then everyone came out with an analog stick, and I'm not sure, but it seems like they were the first to use shoulder buttons. Design stealing is just going to happen. It's not just Sony that does it. Analog triggers on the dreamcast (along with simply the basic look) was copied from Sega by Microsoft. The dual stick format was copied from Sony by Microsoft.

Are better or worse of for doing that? I don't know, but that's just the way it is.

-Matt
User avatar
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Posts: 16186
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 6 times
Contact:

Post by |darc| » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:13 am

lynx44 wrote:First, Sony isn't the one that made it, and second, yes it is a complete rip off. Of coarse it will suck in comparison, games won't be designed to use it.

Anyway, EVERY company in the history of gaming copied Nintendo. The D-pad was created by Nintendo, and nearly every other innovation was. Anolog sticks were started by Nintendo (as far as I remember), then everyone came out with an analog stick, and I'm not sure, but it seems like they were the first to use shoulder buttons. Design stealing is just going to happen. It's not just Sony that does it. Analog triggers on the dreamcast (along with simply the basic look) was copied from Sega by Microsoft. The dual stick format was copied from Sony by Microsoft.

Are better or worse of for doing that? I don't know, but that's just the way it is.

-Matt
Things will never be the same.
It's thinking...
User avatar
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!
Posts: 2336
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:48 pm
Location: ny
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by CupNoodle » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:22 am

lynx44 wrote:Anyway, EVERY company in the history of gaming copied Nintendo. The D-pad was created by Nintendo, and nearly every other innovation was. Anolog sticks were started by Nintendo (as far as I remember), then everyone came out with an analog stick, and I'm not sure, but it seems like they were the first to use shoulder buttons. Design stealing is just going to happen. It's not just Sony that does it. Analog triggers on the dreamcast (along with simply the basic look) was copied from Sega by Microsoft. The dual stick format was copied from Sony by Microsoft.

Are better or worse of for doing that? I don't know, but that's just the way it is.

-Matt
Every company should make completely different controllers that don't borrow any features from any other controllers, and they should all look different.
User avatar
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800
Posts: 8595
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 6:27 pm
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by Skynet » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:09 am

-Orbo- wrote:
lynx44 wrote:Anyway, EVERY company in the history of gaming copied Nintendo. The D-pad was created by Nintendo, and nearly every other innovation was. Anolog sticks were started by Nintendo (as far as I remember), then everyone came out with an analog stick, and I'm not sure, but it seems like they were the first to use shoulder buttons. Design stealing is just going to happen. It's not just Sony that does it. Analog triggers on the dreamcast (along with simply the basic look) was copied from Sega by Microsoft. The dual stick format was copied from Sony by Microsoft.

Are better or worse of for doing that? I don't know, but that's just the way it is.

-Matt
Every company should make completely different controllers that don't borrow any features from any other controllers, and they should all look different.
The only problem with that is going from one console to another would be awkward to learn new control layouts each time.
Post Reply