*sigh* Why does everyone compare any FPS to Halo?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by JuddWack »

Ceeg wrote:Since when did graphics and music determine how good of a game is?
If it doesn't matter then why are you even buying new systems? You can play plenty of great games for almost nothing if graphics and sound don't make a difference to you.

How many bad games do you find yourself humming the soundtrack to when your not playing? How many poor games have great sound tracks? How many great games have poor soundtracks?

And although you may disagree but level design is one factor that determines the overall quality of a game. The huge levels which seem to go on forever and enormous architecture that Master Chief skips across effortlessly like Jordan I felt were quite original for a console.
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

Im saying that a game could have great graphics and a great soundtrack and still suck. And graphics isn't my reason for buying new systems i buy them cause hey its a new system hell yeah im gonna buy it.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

Gameplay>Graphics/Sound. All three are very important though, because graphics and sound add to the feel of the game and help you get more into it. Unfortunately, most people these days seem to think Graphics>Sound>Gameplay.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

BoneyCork wrote:
mikozero wrote:i'd love to see a game where console players can go up against pc players on the same servers, but its never been offically done, i wonder why ? well actually i don't.

not getting the hang of wasd and a mouse and claiming you can play fps competatively is, well i don't know what it is, but it aint right i tell you. . .

delusional probably
Id Software let Quake III for Dreamcast connect to the same servers as Quake III for PC, and you could play against each other. PC Users were even given a Dreamcast map pack to download if I recall correctly so they could do so.
well i wasn't aware of that cause i don't (and wouldn't) own it, my bad :oops:

but it can't be much going fun (or competative) going up against Q3 vets on the DCs pad (as was inferred by Skynet).

i was thinking of Q3 when i said 'not offically' though, as i've read on the forums Q3 for Xbox (built from the now free source) connects to PC servers. good luck to them, they'll need it, any half decent Railgunner will shred them from halfway across the map while there still trying to get the crosshairs pointing in the right direction.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

I call halo "gaylo" because the game is really not that great. Sure it has nice graphics,sure it has cool online modes but when you sit and play its really just doom with better graphics Besides I enjoyed 10 hours on timespitters 2 more then 5 hours of halo, after that I got extremely bored after 5 hours with halo and never came back to it. Indeed one of the most Over rated games of all time. Same goes for Final Fantasy VII I rather play VI then VII ANYDAY of month,year,Decade.

I couldn't care less about sales too, just cuz halo sold a bagillion copies doesn't affect my personal reference I speak with my wallet and I can think of 15 other FPS games that I rather play then Gaylo. I don't believe other FPSes should be compared to it, I remember when other FPSes were compared to doom or quake before Gaylo. Doom to me is the funnest FPS to date and I will chose it over halo now and forever.
Have you played dreamcast today?
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I call halo "gaylo"
omg you're so cool!
I bet no one else had ever thought of that until you spread the word. HAVE MY BABIES1!!!11
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

:lol:
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

:guffaw:
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

Ross L. wrote:Not bothering to read the three pages at the moment but I don't compare any FPS to Halo. I am one of the few that hate Halo I guess. My friend played it so much I can hardly stand talking about it. Instead, I compare my FPS' to Metriod. :P

I tried Metroid before i just didn't like it, i liked the old ones for NES,Gameboy, and SNES, but i just can't get into the current ones. :?
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by neoak »

Ross L. wrote:Not bothering to read the three pages at the moment but I don't compare any FPS to Halo. I am one of the few that hate Halo I guess. My friend played it so much I can hardly stand talking about it. Instead, I compare my FPS' to Metriod. :P
If you don't bother to read other people's commentaries, how can you expect someone yo read your own.

And yeah, f***cking nice you compare a FPS with something that is a FPA.
Dreamcast4life wrote:I call halo "gaylo" because the game is really not that great. Sure it has nice graphics,sure it has cool online modes but when you sit and play its really just doom with better graphics.
OMG 1337.

If we went by your way of thinking, all FPS are just Wolfenstein 3D with nice graphics and the ability to look up and down and jump. :|
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

I've said it before in other topics... Quake 2 is the best. And for a little oomph, play it with the Weapons of Destruction mod. So fun.

What's fun is to record demos of your matches with your best friend, then play them back to him when he comes over to show him how badly you raped him. HAHAHA!!!
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

I got Quake 2 for...

The PC
Playstation
X Box 360

i use to have it for n64 aswell....now thats dedication.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

omg, this topic is still up?

As far as my favorite FPS goes....I'd have to say Metroid Prime. I loved how it was such an enjoyable single player experience rather than building up a huge multiplayer mode and leaving the single player as "leftovers". I haven't had the chance to pick up Metroid Prime 2 yet so I can't say how that one is.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Quake 1 rocks any FPS ever, nuff said.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

well it's certainly the daddy . . .
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Goldeneye is just about the only fps that I have ever gone back and played after I finished...but the multiplayer in goldeneye, imo, was not that great..it was slow. I've said a lot about how much I hate the n64 controller, but imo, it worked well with fps.

as for Halo, its decent...but surely not as great as everyone's makes it sound. And, imho, halo 2 was nothing but a let down