*sigh* Why does everyone compare any FPS to Halo?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

*sigh* Why does everyone compare any FPS to Halo?

Post by Ceeg »

I have played many FPS games including Halo and i can honestly say Halo is NOT the greatest FPS ever and its far from it. The single player was ok, the story was pretty neat, and the multiplayer was fun for a while, but after having it for about 4 months it got boring for me and plus online ended up being crap, but most online games end up being crap with cheaters and all. But the thing that gets me is why everytimem a new FPS game comes out it always compared to Halo, hell i can think of probaly 20 FPS games better tha Halo.

Well anyway i guess i posted this to get off my chest and to see what others think and if they feel the same way as i do.

Im not saying Halo is a crappy game im just saying it doesn't deserve all the credit it gets, if it were up to me to rate it it would get a 7.5/10 at most.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I've always felt this way. Before I played Halo, I expected to be this orgasmic experience like I've never experienced before...but it just seems to me like Goldeneye with better graphics, vehicles, and 16 player support. That's not enough to make it the greatest game of all time.

Even multiplayer mode only lasts for about 10 minutes before I get bored as hell with it.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Hrmm..

I feel that the difference between GoldenEye and Halo is massive.

Compare Halo multiplayer to TImesplitters : FP multiplayer, and they are totally different games. Just like CS is different than both of those.

Personal preference really, I like the slow pace of CS at times, but I also like Halo every so often, and most FPS's are made in the style of Halo, hence the comparisons.

Oh, there are also the Quake-like ones, which is also totally different.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

Well atleast im not the only one.

Hell now that u bring up Goldeneye, i still have that game, as for Halo and Halo 2, no i got rid of them long ago. So yeah some amazing game if it can't entertain me more than an 8 year old game.
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

I know some games tend to copy Halo, but that still doesn't justify everyone going nuts over the game. Hell im tempted to go to a store when Halo 3 comes out buy it than break the game infront of all the Halo fanboys and shout "HERES WHAT I THINK OF YOUR CRAPPY GAME"
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

Well the first one was pretty damn good.

I myself don't like FPSs all that much, but when I got around to playing Halo, I was impressed. I liked the variety, and the cinematic storyline.

What I mean by variety is that, in some levels, depending on how you play, it feels like a completely different game.

The sequel is also good, but it feels a bit different.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

the repeating indoor level sections are booooring and annoying

i've played single player map packs for Quake with more variety
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

i agree, every time console FPS comes up, everyone starts talking like Halo was the first ever game to pull off a playable FPS on a console, like its the godfather of FPS or something

Bullshit...
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I've stated many times I don't like halo. I have both of them but rarely play them. Played Halo 2 over xlink for the first time, properly, the other day with about 10 people or so. Yeah, got boring after 1 round and I quit.

/me waits for matisfaction to see this thread. :D
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

Goldeneye WAS the god of console FPS'

/me dodges the rotten tomatoes
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by neoak »

Vchat20 wrote:Goldeneye WAS the god of console FPS'

GE is the game that set consoles as a viable platform for FPS. Thing is, GE used the 1 stick-4button set to move and aim. Halo uses the 2 stick setup.

Halo was the first FPS to use the 2 stick setup succesfully, besides to the fact that the Sticks in the PS controller are crap for precision and the C-stick in the GC controller is not good fro FPS at all. I did play TS2 in my GC and in a PS2 too.

Also, Halo is more "mainstream" with the 2 weapon-at-a-time thing and the Warthog was fun to drive. Yeah, GE and PD had vehicles, but those felt like you were moving slowly with another weapon. As for cheaters, i have yet to find one since the last update (i mean when they dropped Head-to-Head and made Team Snipers ranked)

So, Halo set the foundation for the 2 stick setup. If there was no Halo, people would compare it to GE or PD. Same as people compare Platformers with Mario 64 (some still do), 2K's NFL with Madden, RPGs with Final Fantasy VI/VII/X whatever, Kart games with Mario Kart (Jak X anyone? Crash i-don't-know-what), etc etc.

As long as its popular, people will compare it. People used to compare MMORPGs with Everquest, now they do with World of Warcraft.
popley
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by popley »

i like halo, mainly because it's easy to get into, the weapons are almost even, playing with friends is a blast, i havnt found too many console fps that much fun, well besides serious sam. Its just easy to learn how to play, i hate the single player i love the mulit player.
"It's only after we've lost everything, that we are truly free to do anything." Fight Club

http://www.geocities.com/nesterdcgamecodes
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

neoak wrote:

GE is the game that set consoles as a viable platform for FPS. Thing is, GE used the 1 stick-4button set to move and aim. Halo uses the 2 stick setup.

Halo was the first FPS to use the 2 stick setup succesfully, besides to the fact that the Sticks in the PS controller are crap for precision and the C-stick in the GC controller is not good fro FPS at all. I did play TS2 in my GC and in a PS2 too.

Also, Halo is more "mainstream" with the 2 weapon-at-a-time thing and the Warthog was fun to drive. Yeah, GE and PD had vehicles, but those felt like you were moving slowly with another weapon. As for cheaters, i have yet to find one since the last update (i mean when they dropped Head-to-Head and made Team Snipers ranked)

So, Halo set the foundation for the 2 stick setup. If there was no Halo, people would compare it to GE or PD. Same as people compare Platformers with Mario 64 (some still do), 2K's NFL with Madden, RPGs with Final Fantasy VI/VII/X whatever, Kart games with Mario Kart (Jak X anyone? Crash i-don't-know-what), etc etc.

As long as its popular, people will compare it. People used to compare MMORPGs with Everquest, now they do with World of Warcraft.
i dont agree, PS2 had several FPS games with two stick controll out before the xbox even launched, and even though the placement of the sticks on the ps2 pad isnt the best, it still was the real basis imho

(besides, i played UT and Q3 on the dreamcast, and if you use the 4 action buttons to move, and the analog for aiming, its pretty damn close to dual analog controll)
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

I hate golden eye with a passion. I like halo because it's the game that allowed me to get calin(ex's little step-brother cool little kid) to start playin good fps's on the pc.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

C-stick in the GC controller is not good fro FPS at all
Maybe I can handle my GC pad better than you because I find it pretty damn sweet. Yet I still suffer with aiming on Halo 1 and 2 on xbox. :?
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Skynet wrote:
C-stick in the GC controller is not good fro FPS at all
Maybe I can handle my GC pad better than you because I find it pretty damn sweet. Yet I still suffer with aiming on Halo 1 and 2 on xbox. :?
Me to. I think the C-Stick is excellent, I can use the Xbox and PS2 pads but no where near as affective.

And as for Halo, I still fail to see greatness of this game. Especially when there are quite a few FPSs out there that eclipse it.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I think Halo was successful because...

- It was easily playable with a controller.
- The fat-ass reticle and slow gameplay made it ideal for people who didn't have the reflexes, or the precision needed to play other FPS.
- It had fairly straight-forward mission objectives that kept the game action-oriented, as opposed to "objective-oriented", like Goldeneye.
- It targeted the gamers who didn't normaly play first person shooters, and gave many of those gamers their first enjoyable FPS experience.
- It didn't lose any playability when playing in split-screen.
- It was a launch title that didn't suck.

I think Halo's success was the product of good overall marketing. It was at the right place at the right time, and was dumbed down just enough to be accessable to joe-gamer. If it had been released on any other platform at any other time, I think it would have been much less successful.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

i think its reputation is somewhat based on the fact its a lot of peoples first experience of accessible deathmatch gaming, personally i'd take a game Unreal Tournament (the first one) over it in that department any day (whilst docking my cap to Quake III) . . .
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I find Halo pretty average.

I didnt find it unenjoyable, but it didnt blow me away with amazement like people suggested it would.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

neoak wrote:

idk i've only used the c-buttons on the 64 controller to strafe in goldeneye. the autoaim usually took care of the rest.