Gamepark GP2x - disappointing :(

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by CupNoodle »

I just died a little inside. :(
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

mikozero wrote:just rewrote my xmas list :(
Exactly what I just did. Well spoken, man.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Do you guys think this stuff will be fixed before Christmas?

If not everything, then at least the hardware? I can handle buggy firmware for awhile until I upgrade, but I at least want working hardware for Christmas

I'm just so damn pissed because I would have done anything for one of these...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

GyroVorbis wrote:Do you guys think this stuff will be fixed before Christmas?

If not everything, then at least the hardware? I can handle buggy firmware for awhile until I upgrade, but I at least want working hardware for Christmas

I'm just so damn pissed because I would have done anything for one of these...
A second model wont be released until next year...so no, it wont be sorted for Christmas.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

GyroVorbis wrote:If not everything, then at least the hardware? I can handle buggy firmware for awhile until I upgrade, but I at least want working hardware for Christmas
I wouldn't count on it. If the GP32x forums are to be believed, more than a few units have shipped with hardware faults:

http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=22347
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=22357
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=22128

I don't recommend buying one (for now).
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Nooooooooo!
FuriKuri
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by FuriKuri »

On the flip side of things:
TJFBryant wrote:When I reviewed the gp32 way back in 2001, I gave it a 8 out of 10. It was an innovative system but it had bugs. First off I had the non flu first edition with that "beautiful" fushia tint glare reducer on the screen, a flickery screen, loose joystick, tight left shoulder button and very unappealing and frustrating firmware. Yet the movies playing 10 fps and ok sound was something I'd never seen before. The games were no better that a game boy color or advanced at sometimes (graphically). BUT the enjoyment of playing DOOM, and SCuMMvm games AND all the homebrew stuff was awesome.
So why an 8 out of 10 for the Gp32 with all the problems.... because I know things could only get better from there. Whatta machine, that gp32...it was nearly my gaming life for 5 whole years and still is.

Now here comes the GP2x. With Bugs. And many concerns along with it. I still remain unchanged in my opinion that this system will in fact be THEE homebrew portable system of the next 5 years. I received the gp2x the day before thanksgiving. I added the sdl-libs for my homebrew gaming goodness, put War of the Worlds (800mb) on my 1 gig sd card and I was up and running.
Now lets get somethings straight. The firmware is not finished. Its not even the true official firmware release. Think of it as a beta version. Here is what works and what doesn't. First ...USE high capacity Nimh rechargables, otherwise you will have many more problems with flickering, screen dimming..etc. I get almost a full 5 hours with 2300mah nimh.
All Divx movies play fine ( I used pocket divx encoder) The screen is bright enough, good color contrast, no flickering during playback. The movie may freeze from time to time when forwarding thru the movie...but it appears just to be tempramental. This will be fixed in firmware upgrade when the Official launch comes in Jan 2006. Otherwise it plays through it its entirety. The games run perfectly on the screen, I have tried all games, ports etc, with the exception of all quake releases.

The only problems I found was just the firmware. Again like what I experienced with the first edition gp32. User friendlyness is lacking, firmware is buggy, and its just not an optimized smooth firmware release. BUT thats NOT to say the day of release you won't get a near perfect transition in firmware from this release 1.0 or 1.1 to say 2.0.

From what I feel in my hand, the Gp2x is very comfortable to hold for long periods of time. For some reason (when I compare it to my PSP) to just really enjoy holding the gp2x more. It feels lighter, and more erogonomic (yeah I know its a rectangular square) but it fits my large hands better. The joystick intially feels tight, real tight. But once you roll it around a few times it feels better on your thumbs.
Now some find a deadzone in the joystick, I do see and feel that deadzone when running the homebrew games and movies and navagating the firmware, BUT I don't get that same deadzone when playing Donky Kong County 2 on my SNES emu (which runs better 6- 15 fps depending on the game) The joystick feels and works just fine. Perhaps its an coding thing. The four buttons (ABXY) feel great to press. Some believe the buttons are too close together, I think its a very good placement. I have very large hands, and although my fingers fully cover all four buttons, they are very recognizable and tactile to my finger tips. I like the placement, quick responses for gaming. The shoulder buttons feel a lot better than the ones on my gp32 and my psp. It just feels right when playing.

Overall it comes down to this folks. What an initial improvment from the first edition gp32 5 years ago. The build, and quality feels better, and its a lot less frustrating that the first gp32 ever was. I am going to mention what I said 5 years ago. IF you want to notch portable gaming with major brand names, and mass produced (run of the mill) graphical eye candy games. GET A PSP. But if you truely enjoy retro gaming, homebrew goodness, movies, music, GET the Gp2x. You really won't regret it. If your the type you want things easy for you, you wanna pop the batteries in and go. Then might I suggest to wait until the official Gp2x release comes in Jan. Then perhaps the firmware wil be more optimized, and the known bugs will be fixed.

Otherwise with everything taken into account I give the gp2x a 7.5 -10 for the first edition. Once the newer firmware is released I will give this great little machine an 8.5.
Great quality build compared to the gp32, a little buggy (that was expected).

Notes:
** I used a card reader to upload all software to the Sd card. The USB port was buggy as previously reported.
** I use a 150x My Adata 1 gig card. (The firmware only allows upto 1 gig so far).
** Lik sangs article on its orders of Gp2x because of GPH. Is for lack of a better word, complete fluff. They want to take no responsiblity for the problems that could arise when shipping the gp2x. They don't want another gp32 first edition disaster like 5 years ago (for those who remember).

Finally A BIG THANKS to Craigix for shipping my gp2x. He is truely a standup person, a great company that I have been satisified with for years. I paid 228 USD for my Gp2x (shipping from the UK to NY USA). It was worth every penny. Keep up the good work Cragix. Thanks
source

I will be giving my review on the console and my complaints about how people are being unnecessarily pessimistic about it later.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

i await with anticipation
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

wait, did he say movies at 10 fps (on the original one) and was impressed? and now on the 2x, snes emulation at 6-15 fps?

is it me, or is that very very sad for a 2005 machine?
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:wait, did he say movies at 10 fps (on the original one) and was impressed? and now on the 2x, snes emulation at 6-15 fps?

is it me, or is that very very sad for a 2005 machine?
Maybe if it was running a commercial, final version SNES emulator.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

He must be one of the lucky ones. Lots of people seem to be having their units fall to bits on them, and I wouldnt call that a quality built unit.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

I :lol: at everyone that said this would own the PSP. Not be better than, but own.

Not that I support the PSP(I dont want one), but really, a lot of DCE posters overhyped the crap out of this saying how it would shame it.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Eckostyle wrote:I :lol: at everyone that said this would own the PSP. Not be better than, but own.

Not that I support the PSP(I dont want one), but really, a lot of DCE posters overhyped the crap out of this saying how it would shame it.
In the emulation department, it should have. But ironically, it would appear that a Sony system is built better than its competition.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

melancholy wrote: But ironically, it would appear that a Sony system is built better than its competition.
well that has to be a first :O
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

Don't jump the gun. The unit hasn't been officially released yet. There's also no SDK yet. It's way too early to judge the GP2x.
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Phantom wrote:Don't jump the gun. The unit hasn't been officially released yet. There's also no SDK yet. It's way too early to judge the GP2x.
Not been officially released? Thats a terrible excuse. It is available to buy and own, so it has definitly been released.

Aditionally, what kind of company releases a faulty product that doesn't match its item description at full price, then turns around and says "oh this isnt the official release yet". Certainly no store made that clear at the time.

A complete scam.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

BoneyCork wrote:Not been officially released? Thats a terrible excuse. It is available to buy and own, so it has definitly been released.
For all we know Gamepark informed the retailers that these units might not meet the specs. I personally think they wanted to get some units out 'early' so that software would be available at release time.

People who bought these have a right to a fully functional unit, ofcourse. And you should send it back if it doesn't meet your expectations.
BoneyCork wrote:Aditionally, what kind of company releases a faulty product that doesn't match its item description at full price, then turns around and says "oh this isnt the official release yet".
GamePark have made no release announcement at all.
BoneyCork wrote:Certainly no store made that clear at the time.
That's a different issue. If you're not happy get your money back. If I had received a faulty unit I definitely wouldn't accept it.
Last edited by Phantom on Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

I'd say that if something is on sale to the general public then it has been released.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

Strapping Scherzo wrote:I'd say that if something is on sale to the general public then it has been released.
Yes, but the 'official' release, as in being available to the general public in sufficient quantities, is scheduled for januari 2006, if it isn't delayed even further. Right now GamePark aren't even taking orders.

I see your point, and yes, I agree that it has been released and anyone who bought it already has a right to a fully functional unit or their money back, ofcourse. It's obvious that mistakes have been made.

But back to the issue at hand. It's very possible that the hardware and software issues will be resolved. I see no reason why someone would call the GP2x a failure at this point.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Phantom wrote:the 'official' release, as in being available to the general public in sufficient quantities, is scheduled for januari 2006, if it isn't delayed even further. Right now GamePark aren't even taking orders..
http://www.gp2x.co.uk is the official UK supplier of GP2X units. They are now fully affiliated with Gamepark, have the console in stock and for sale. I could order one and have it delivered to my house within 24 hours.

That seems very much like an official release to me.

Not only that, but while third-party retailers like Liksang have stopped sales and gone out of their way to warn customers, this official site has done no such thing.
I see no reason why someone would call the GP2x a failure at this point
Because at this exact point in time, it is a failure. It doesn't currently do what it is supposed to do. That is failing. Perhaps in the future it will be a success, but at the moment... its far from it.

EDIT

Also, as an additional point. If the reason why there are so many faulty units is because the thing hasnt been officialy released yet, please explain to me why the faulty units were shipped out to retailers in the first place?

Gamepark made these faulty units, and obviously wanted retailers to sell these units.