A look at the 360's guts

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A look at the 360's guts

Post by Hawq »

anandtech have a look at the internals of a 360, interestingly if that warranty sticker is in the same place in all units then putting a HD in a 360 that came withotu one will void your warranty, expect a lot of pissed off customers over that one, also the drive seems to be a 2.5" Serial ATA notebook hard drive so possiblility of putting a larger one in perhaps?
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Specially Cork

Re: A look at the 360's guts

Post by Specially Cork »

Hawq wrote:interestingly if that warranty sticker is in the same place in all units then putting a HD in a 360 that came withotu one will void your warranty, expect a lot of pissed off customers over that one
Well no, because Microsoft will be selling HHD units seperately for you to add on to your Xbox 360, obviously locked inside that plastic casing thing. You didn't really think MS would justlet you buy PC parts and stick them inside did you? I don't see why anybody would be pissed off...
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

Looks like the inside of my Macintosh Performa 6116, IIRC the model number.

It broke when I was 12, so I dissected the fucker.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
mink03
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mink03 »

wow holy huge power brick you need for it..kinda wish the psu was in the system..but pry gets too hot..and they wanted the system smaller, eh whatever, what ever happened to the universal plug that i could use to power my ps2 and my dc
crabcakes
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

hehe. I was gonna say the same thing. thats one damned huge power brick.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

lol, and people were saying that you couldn't open it (earlier on). It's been opened already and hasn't even come out yet :D
XPoGoX
XPoison FreeX
XPoison FreeX

Post by XPoGoX »

mink03 wrote:wow holy huge power brick you need for it..kinda wish the psu was in the system..but pry gets too hot..and they wanted the system smaller, eh whatever, what ever happened to the universal plug that i could use to power my ps2 and my dc
Dont ya just hide the psu behind your tv anyway?, hehe its outta sight...I dont understand why ppl are bugged about how big it is.
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

XPoGoX wrote:
mink03 wrote:wow holy huge power brick you need for it..kinda wish the psu was in the system..but pry gets too hot..and they wanted the system smaller, eh whatever, what ever happened to the universal plug that i could use to power my ps2 and my dc
Dont ya just hide the psu behind your tv anyway?, hehe its outta sight...I dont understand why ppl are bugged about how big it is.
You'll have to see it to believe it.
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
XPoGoX
XPoison FreeX
XPoison FreeX

Post by XPoGoX »

Oh ive seen it, haha its huuge, but again most people put thme out of eyes sight. Seems like people will complain about anything. I for one cant belive they made the controller white!!!...zomg?! :P :P
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

That dual-die GPU has got to be hurting Microsoft's pocketbook. They must think it's really important to launch first, heh.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

I can't wait until I mod the hell out of this thing and get some Dreamcast emulator running. :rumpshaker:
XPoGoX
XPoison FreeX
XPoison FreeX

Post by XPoGoX »

Yea I cant wait to see what this thing emulates, haha...but I CAN wait for the post.."Is there an emulator to play ps3 games on xbox360!!?"
AntiPro
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by AntiPro »

with all the connectivity features and an external hardrive(and the fact that its pretty much a pc) how soon do you think theyll be able to get stuff working on it?
Plastics.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

It looks just like a dell.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

i was thinking more along the lines of a gateway...
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

AntiPro wrote:with all the connectivity features and an external hardrive(and the fact that its pretty much a pc) how soon do you think theyll be able to get stuff working on it?
I don't think it'll take too long and it'll definitely have some amazing software on it. Being able to hook up a keyboard/mouse will make it a personal PC.
XPoGoX
XPoison FreeX
XPoison FreeX

Post by XPoGoX »

a personal personal computer huh!!? :P :P :P
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

suprisingly enough they showed there being standard usb ports (not even hacked up ports like the original xbox) on the 360. really cant get better than that.

I really think the 360 is going to be a major hit in the homebrew community, maybe more than its predecessor.
AntiPro
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by AntiPro »

I saw them hook it up to a PSP on G4 today.

That should be fun...
Plastics.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I don't think it'll take too long and it'll definitely have some amazing software on it.
I really think the 360 is going to be a major hit in the homebrew community, maybe more than its predecessor.
I have a feeling that 360's code pathways will be locked up fairly tight. Microsoft has clearly been using Xbox hardware revisions to test some anti-mod techniques, and have had a degree of success (they've not made it impossible by a long shot, but they have made it more difficult. Remember that 360 has a fully custom CPU. Unlike Xbox where the best they could do was hide a chunk of secret boot code in another chip and hope nobody noticed, they could pretty much completely obfuscate the initial boot process on 360 by putting various clever bits on the CPU itself. Mods will probably exist, but don't be surprised if they are unwieldy and expensive. The reason I say this is that the most likely weak link is the GPU/northbridge <-> RAM link. If the only recourse is to tap into the GDDR3 link to patch the kernel, you can expect that the mods will be quite expensive and difficult to install compared to what is customary today. Still, MS made numerous silly mistakes in the design of the Xbox security system, so I can't take it for granted that they won't do it again...
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer