The Official DCEmu MarioKart WiFi List

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Anyone care to play?

...I'll leave my DS searching for a little while
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

My friend code:

Gmc85

I'm a bit rubbish tbh, lol. No wins and a few losses :(
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Well, I've done all the missions, I've done the grand prix (including 150cc mirror mode), and I can beat a lot of my friends, but when it comes to online...I completely suck :x

Its definitely that snaking thing. Im not sure whether to blame the game for allowing it to happen, or to blame myself for sucking so much that I cant do it.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

BoneyCork wrote: Im not sure whether to blame the game for allowing it to happen, or to blame myself for sucking so much that I cant do it.
No, it's definitely a gameplay issue not a 'can't do it' issue. If you want to do it, just pick Yoshi in his egg car on a wide track. It takes about 5 mins to learn how to do it, has no counter (the best cars / racers to do it with have low slide, low top speed and high acceleration, so are also the best cars to recover from item use), has no limitations, is laughably easy to do once mastered, and when you can do it there is absolutely zero incentive to use any other cars / tactics once you can do it.

Then you pick GCN Baby Mario stadium repeatedly and just repeat over and over again because win record > having fun
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Okay...I think I've figured out this snaking thing, and it is indeed a cheap trick. It takes the fun out of the game, especially since it works best on the wide-open courses and I prefer more hazardous ones (I feel the combat aspect is a very important part of the game).

I will not be using this technique--ever. I think it's bad form. And like I said, it's not much fun, either for the person doing it or for the people who have to put up with it. Hopefully the other folks here won't be, either.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Incidentally: I've been noticing recently that one or two of the players in a lot of races (usually who ends up winning) have anywhere from one to three stars next to their name in-game. Anyone know what that's all about?
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Incidentally: I've been noticing recently that one or two of the players in a lot of races (usually who ends up winning) have anywhere from one to three stars next to their name in-game. Anyone know what that's all about?
Something about beating staff ghost, gets you that star next to your name. My record, from people getting last second wins or snacking, 67-49
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

my current record is 52w-35l according to the game's record page (not online)
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I'm thinking of asking for the Nintendo DS + MKDS bundle for Christmas. How much is the Nintendo network thingie you need to get online from your home if you don't have a wireless router?

And also, if anyone has it, how purdy is the hot rod DS in person? I'd prefer to have the original grey personally, but the hot rod one may be worth a bit a few years from now.
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

you know it would be nice to know the time people usually play. I usually get a chance to play on Sundays only for the majority of the day, like 12pm-7pm PST. I'm still on dial-up, and can't seem to find anyone with an open router around here.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

its usually random for me. when I get bored I will pop on for a quick game or two.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

politoe wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:Incidentally: I've been noticing recently that one or two of the players in a lot of races (usually who ends up winning) have anywhere from one to three stars next to their name in-game. Anyone know what that's all about?
Something about beating staff ghost, gets you that star next to your name.
Nah, It isnt to do with beating staff ghost times. Its more difficult and tedious than that.

1 Star by your name: Beat all cups in all modes (thats 50cc, 100cc, 150cc, 150cc mirror) with at least a 1-star ranking on each.
2 Stars by your name: Ditto with at least a 2-star ranking on each.
3 Stars by your name: Ditto with a 3-star ranking on each.

Now considering a 3-star ranking can only be got when you perform with absolute perfection, and considering how easy it is for the AI to screw you over, it seems to be a lot of effort just for bragging rights.
royhubbs
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by royhubbs »

Hey! I finally got the bad boy up and running. My friend code is

Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Ahh, I've added everyone, and dunno if anybodys added me yet, cos im searching but not finding anyone.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

today was pretty eventful. a cousin of my mom's was having a birthday for her kid today at the Chuk E. Cheese's by the mall. I decided I would go for the heck of it. Free pizza, pop, and games. whats not to like? anyways, as always, I took my DS with me and was running the AP search the whole way there. upon entering the (fairly large) mall plaza, I was catching AP's left and right. at one point I had 5 in one area. and heres the kicker: all of them are named "orange" and are all WEP secured. unfortunately I couldnt get anything inside CEC so I was stuck playing the various video games there.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

AIEE

I don't know if it's the level that Nintendo's matchmaking service has me pegged at, or just that everyone has started doing it...

I can't seem to play a *SINGLE* game without everyone snaking. Any more, I give it one track, and if everyone else is snaking, I'll drop out.

It's not that I'm afraid of losing, or want to preserve my record or whatever (I will stay in a match, no matter how badly I'm getting whomped...because I hate it when people drop out on me).

I just find snaking *INCREDIBLY* obnoxious. It's one thing to use your slides strategically to avoid obstacles and get around corners. It's another thing to snake. And I won't play with people who snake, because it's just not fun.

Unfortunately, that means I don't really get to play much any more. If I try to play online, I get pitted against a bunch of snakers. So I can either snake myself (which is boring and tedious), or get my ass beat. If I choose the former, I get more snakers. If I choose the latter, Nintendo WiFi starts matching me against people who (mostly) don't snake, but whom I can beat easily--which isn't much fun for me, and I'd imagine it's not too fun for them either.

I go to the Friends connection (I've got the whole list here entered, plus about 5 real-life friends), and if I can't pick anyone up there, I just don't play any more. This is very disappointing to me, because I really like the game overall. I just wish there were a way to disable the boost mechanic that snaking exploits.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

If there was more of a community element added to the online mode you would be able to create the equivalent of non-snaking-guilds etc.

But sadly apart from your friends, you get very little choice in who you play against. I've been forced off wifi from snaking now too.
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

im gettin tired of people with a 50 or more wins 0 losses record that desconect when they are lossing :x
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

The 'snaking' thing pisses me off - it IS a broken gameplay mechanic, and the reason everyone does it is because, well, EVERYONE does it, and you literally have to either lose or do it yourself.

:(
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Well, if anyone's interested...I don't snake, and I pop in every couple of days or so after work to see if anyone's online. Maybe we can arrange a DCEmu tourney.