7,500 Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection hotspots in the UK alone

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

7,500 Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection hotspots in the UK alone

Post by az_bont »

Eurogamer wrote:Nintendo's announced that it will have over 7,500 Wi-Fi Connection hotspots active in the UK from 25th November when Mario Kart DS launches, and will be rolling out the service across the rest of Europe at the same time.

In the UK, the announcement owes a lot to deals with BT Openzone and The Cloud. Piggybacking their infrastructure, Wi-Fi Connection will allow gamers to play Wi-Fi-enabled multiplayer games like Tony Hawk's American Sk8land (Nov 18) and Mario Kart DS (Nov 25) from all manner of locations.

Those named include McDonald's restaurants, Coffee Republic, Hilton and Ramada Jarvis hotels, Road Chef and Welcome Break service stations, First Great Western railway stations, over 25 student unions and city centre BT Payphones and airports, football stadiums and the British Library and Canary Wharf.
Source: Eurogamer.net
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

This is great news. Although I cant really picture myself playing mario kart in a phonebooth, but the other places are all good.

Im also interested at the use of football stadiums. Have chelsea signed up to this? It'd give their fans something to do while some of the most tediously boring football in the world is being played. :D
mattcky666
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mattcky666 »

some good places to get a connection but i doubt many people would stand about near a phonebooth to use it

BoneyCork wrote: Have chelsea signed up to this? It'd give their fans something to do while some of the most tediously boring football in the world is being played. :D
:soapbox:
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

cool

i wonder though, how long will it take for an intrepid programmer to make a proggy so a laptop can mask itself as a DS and use those DS spots as a free wifi spot...
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:cool

i wonder though, how long will it take for an intrepid programmer to make a proggy so a laptop can mask itself as a DS and use those DS spots as a free wifi spot...
And do what? AFAIK all the wifi will offer is a free ds multiplayer service, not a full online service, so there wouldn't be much use for a laptop.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:cool

If they didn't want people to log onto the web with the spots why would they provide web service?
It's thinking...
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

well, those hotspots are for online play with the DS arent they?

im just saying, have they taken the trouble of sepperating the DS net entirely from the normal internet on those hotspots? i know that isnt neceserilly true, since you can connect to a normal wlan router too for online play
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

dear me, have nintendo ever smelled the inside of a bt payphone in the city centre? that's a lawsuit waiting to happen
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:well, those hotspots are for online play with the DS arent they?

im just saying, have they taken the trouble of sepperating the DS net entirely from the normal internet on those hotspots? i know that isnt neceserilly true, since you can connect to a normal wlan router too for online play
Trouble? It's trivial to restrict a connection to one set of servers. Most of the mentioned places usually already have free wifi anyway.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

not just souLLy now wrote:dear me, have nintendo ever smelled the inside of a bt payphone in the city centre? that's a lawsuit waiting to happen
BoneyCork wrote:This is great news. Although I cant really picture myself playing mario kart in a phonebooth, but the other places are all good.
Hopefully the signal will reach far enough to some nearby benches, so you don't have to play everything completely vertical and smelling of wee ;).
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!