PS3 Falls Down, Goes Boom

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

PS3 Falls Down, Goes Boom

Post by DaMadFiddler » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:46 pm

Excerpted from a former GameStop worker in a Joystiq article:
The PS3 is delayed until 2007, the decision for this came about through the failure of the initial hardware the PS3 Development Team created. Apparently, 300 PS3 Units were created and sent to various software developers to begin creating games for the new system. However, design flaws in the PS3 (Specifically, not enough coolant) caused the systems to overheat and meltdown after moderate
use by the developers.

According to my DM (District Manager), Sony went and fired the entirety of the PS3 Development Team for this flaw. In short, from what I?ve heard, if Sony gained anything from this experience, it?s minor technical knowledge on what the PS3 can handle, but for the most part they were sent to square one.
Sony is such an arrogant, customer-unfriendly company...and then they go and have crap like this happen. :roll:

...In a not-quite-related issue, I have a friend at Nintendo who said that June is being discussed for the Revolution launch, at a $200 price point. Not concrete, of course. But it would be great if it pans out.
XPoGoX
XPoison FreeX
XPoison FreeX

Post by XPoGoX » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:51 pm

Will sony fanboys wait till 07 for a new system?. I tried the xbox360 at walmart the other night...and I really cant say i was impressed. At this point im more looking toward what nintendo has...or i may just stick to pc, haha....dunno yet.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:52 pm

Can we get a link to the actual story? Sorry but right now at this point it seems unreliable...?
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Specially Cork
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Specially Cork » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:57 pm

I cant find a single reliable source reporting this news. If it is true, it would be big news too, and would feature prominently on BBC News Technology or something.

Sorry, but Im considering this complete internet BS until the story is reported by somebody who actually counts.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:23 pm

BBC said 22 months until PS3 launch. Saw it on digg.com
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:26 pm

Joystiq article:
http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000340065758/

and BBC excerpt:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/ukfs ... id=4387678
[important quote from the above BBC report, for those who can't get the video to work: ?By launching its new Xbox 360 22 months ahead of the PlayStation 3, it?s hoping it?ll be able to win over the minds and money of gamers. ]
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:38 pm

Something this big is a major blow to Sony. However, I strongly disagree with their descission to fire the entire Development team. Maybe it was one guys fault (although, everyone should review it), and now everyone on that team is out of a job. Sony (and by Sony I mean the Heads of the entire Playstation sector) should have also reviewed the unit themselves, so they are partly to blame.
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:44 pm

If this is true than Sony is going to lose so much of the market share to MS and Nintendo. Their only other choice is to lower the specs of the system.
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Hmm interesting. However, I think that was a mistake or under-researched info. Saying the console will be delayed until 2007 is one thing, but saying "22 months" is extrememly accurate. Even if it were delayed, I doubt Sony would have set a release date in stone for 22 months time. It is just too far in the future. If they used the words "in 2007" or "over a year ahead" it would be more acceptable. The wording is just too specific for it to be true.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I still want a full proper article quoting offocial sources before I believe this.

And finally, I find it even harder to believe the entire dev team were fired. An anonymous former-gamespot employee? :guffaw: Great source. :roll:

Perhaps everything is true and you can all pwn me with smugness soon when Sony announce it, but this is the internet, and I have learnt that news like this shouldn't be trusted unless it comes direct from the companies in question. I'm proceeding with caution.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:02 pm

if this is true, sony is in for trouble... big trouble (and im sure Nvidia wont be exceptionally thrilled either, same goes for IBM)

i can see it now, sony launching the PS3 in mid 2007, the same day M$ cuts the price for the deluxe bundle of the 360 to 200 bucks, and the PS3 intro's at 500.... with just some rather rushed first gen games....
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:20 pm

Big bummer. I wasn't getting it but can't wait to see its capabilities.

But about playing XBox360 at Walmart. I've heard you guys talking about this a bit. Is there a station set up at every walmart? What content do they have available?
XPoGoX
XPoison FreeX
XPoison FreeX

Post by XPoGoX » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:34 pm

Well i saw it at 2 diff wal marts...you can play call of duty 2 demo, king kong demo and one more game. a lot of videos to watch also. Im pretty sure they are at all wal marts
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:41 pm

I'm curious to try the 360, simply because it looks like they've finally created the perfect gamepad. However, I refuse to go to WalMart for any reason, even if I'm not buying anything. And my disgust with WalMart outweighs my curiosity over a game controller.

So I'll just wait until they start showing up at GameStop and GameCrazy.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:42 pm

...This does raise an interesting thought, though: due to the free-movement nature of its controller, the Revolution is going to be very difficult to have functional and theft-resistant demo units for.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:56 pm

DaMadFiddler wrote:...This does raise an interesting thought, though: due to the free-movement nature of its controller, the Revolution is going to be very difficult to have functional and theft-resistant demo units for.

You could still tether the controller to the kiosk with no problem. You'd need a longer and lighter lead than other controllers would need but it shouldn't be too different from what keeps people from stealing the guitars from Guitar Freaks.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:09 pm

DaMadFiddler wrote:...This does raise an interesting thought, though: due to the free-movement nature of its controller, the Revolution is going to be very difficult to have functional and theft-resistant demo units for.
It would be no more difficult than stopping people steal lightguns from a hotd/time crisis/point black etc. arcade machine surely?
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:49 pm

BoneyCork wrote:
It would be no more difficult than stopping people steal lightguns from a hotd/time crisis/point black etc. arcade machine surely?
That reminds me... I saw a stolen lightgun at an arcade machine one. It was clearly not removed by an employee (at the chain I was at, they hang a sign on broken lightguns, they don't remove them). Someone had hacked/cut through the wire.. I mean, who the hell would bother? This was at a NICE arcade too, so they had to have done it quick. Maybe bolt cutters... Weirdest thing I've seen in an arcade.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:06 pm

What, did they hire Thiokol to build the PS3 prototypes? :lol:
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
gRiMgRaVy014
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by gRiMgRaVy014 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:32 pm

all i can say is wow.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:33 pm

i mentioned that a little while ago to...

and it's also going to be very weird playing with the controll as if the tv is infront of you, but it's actually 2 feet above your....
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods