White Like Me

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Digital Chaos
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

White Like Me

Post by Digital Chaos »

It's not often that I post in CE, and I am not sure if this is the right place for the following, but here goes.

For my anthropology class we were required to read the book White Like Me by Tim Wise. Now I don't know how many of you have read this book but I beg of you, please, go and read it.

White Like Me has opened my eyes to a world I have never seen, a world of racism that had I only tried to see, I could have seen.

No longer do I live my life blind to the injustices being committed against fellow man. As I go about my day I wonder, would I have been able to do that if I was Black?
Barnes and Nobel wrote:FROM THE PUBLISHER
From his experiences as a white anti-racist activist and white American, Tim Wise has crafted the first history of what it means to be part of the "majority" in America. Combining the emotion of personal stories with insights gleaned from fifteen years as an educator, White Like Me examines the ways in which whites reap the benefits of "racial preferences" - whether or not they actively engage in racism. By critically assessing the magnitude of racial privilege and its costs - to people of color and whites as well - Wise provides a provocative memoir relevant to activists, educators, and average everyday folks seeking to understand why race continues to shape life in the United States.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Is this news?
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

Ex-Cyber wrote:Is this news?
No but I guess if your really into propoganda it could be considered current events.
Oh and have you read this book "The Way Things Ought to Be by Rush Limbaugh" it really opened my eyes.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

I enjoyed "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot" by Al Franken.
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

That one flew under my radar, I think I may have to pick that up sometime.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Sir Fetus wrote:
No but I guess if your really into propoganda it could be considered current events.
how is life at the top of the food chain fetus?
IiLuSiv
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by IiLuSiv »

not just souLLy now wrote:
Sir Fetus wrote:
His people aren't the ones attacking and murdering those of different color in mass, so I guess he wouldn't be at the figurative top. Unless you are speaking of the monetary food chain in which it is Asians, people of Jewish extraction and WASPS.
I have a secret...
you
got
punkd
lo

ser
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

IiLuSiv wrote:
not just souLLy now wrote:
Sir Fetus wrote:
His people aren't the ones attacking and murdering those of different color in mass, so I guess he wouldn't be at the figurative top. Unless you are speaking of the monetary food chain in which it is Asians, people of Jewish extraction and WASPS.
I'm a Jew. What am I doing wrong?
Digital Chaos
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Digital Chaos »

I put this is CE because racism is most certainly a Current Event, and therefore deserves its topic in here.

If you want to tell yourself that racism doesn't exist, then go ahead, but remember that in doing so you are a failure as a citizen of whichever nation you belong, and a failure as a human.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Racism exists on both ends of the spectrum. It is not limited to only white people or only black people or only purple people etc. It gets pretty annoying when all these activists and theorists come along and basically condemn an entire "race" as being bad and immoral and at fault.
Very sexy hero, omg
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

there are no purple people
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Digital Chaos wrote:I put this is CE because racism is most certainly a Current Event, and therefore deserves its topic in here.
1) It isnt an event, because an event is an occurance of something. If you wanted to talk about Racism as an event, you would talk about a certain time and a certain place, not just this entire type of discrimination as a whole

2) As the forum description states, this is a forum for discussing recent news stories, this topic isnt about a recent news story, so regardless of whether you think racism is a "current event" or not, this post is still in the wrong place.
Digital Chaos
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Digital Chaos »

Nick wrote:Racism exists on both ends of the spectrum. It is not limited to only white people or only black people or only purple people etc. It gets pretty annoying when all these activists and theorists come along and basically condemn an entire "race" as being bad and immoral and at fault.
I agree, and to an extent the author of this book agrees. He doesn't so much go around saying how whitey's always keeping the black man down. What he tries to do is show, through stories, how society favors and rewards the white man, whether they know it or not.
BoneyCork wrote:
Digital Chaos wrote:I put this is CE because racism is most certainly a Current Event, and therefore deserves its topic in here.
1) It isn't an event, because an event is an occurrence of something. If you wanted to talk about Racism as an event, you would talk about a certain time and a certain place, not just this entire type of discrimination as a whole

2) As the forum description states, this is a forum for discussing recent news stories, this topic isn't about a recent news story, so regardless of whether you think racism is a "current event" or not, this post is still in the wrong place.
EVENT: I got a book. :roll:

Boo-Fucking-Hoo, instead of bitching about it, move the thread and move on. The point is not to bitch about where it should be, the point was to discuss racism in todays society, and a book that deals specifically with such issue.

Perhaps this Sub-forum should be called Current Events/Politics.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

Perhaps this Sub-forum should be called Current Events/Politics.
Yeah, and white people shouldn't treat blacks as second class citizens, as the premise of your initial post suggests.

OMG FUCKING PWNT!!!!

Seriously, I'm tired of being blamed for all the world's ills because of my penis and the color of my skin.
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

I honestly think the black comunity is gaining more from racism, you get people runnin around callin racism every chance they get, and even though we know it's not true we'll still favour the black guy over the white guy for fear of having that pulled on us.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Digital Chaos wrote:I got a book.
Fair enough, now link me to a news site that reported this and you're fine.

Digital Chaos wrote:Perhaps this Sub-forum should be called Current Events/Politics.
Why? You could just post this on Off Topic (where you would probably get a lot more replies too) and everything would be perfect.
Digital Chaos wrote:The point is not to bitch about where it should be, the point was to discuss racism in todays society
No it wasn't. The point was to tell us about a book you read and recommend it. You offered very little foundation for a discussion on racism. Unless you are willing to assume that we are all going to go and read that book, and we will all return to this thead once we have read it.
Digital Chaos wrote:and a book that deals specifically with such issue.
Well from the way you have worded it, it seems to be a book based around white racism on other races. I've lived in a society where I have been the minority as a white person, and been the subject of a racial discrimination because I am a white person. So this book seems awfully one-sided to me.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Anyone who thinks the UK and the US doesn't have a massive racism problem is in total denial, and if people think that little uncomfortable subjects like slavery will disappear by not discussing them then again you're in denial.

White people don't like to think race is that big an issue, but that's because we don't have to face the discriminations of race daily. I work in an office, there's one token black guy here, just like every other place I've ever worked at. I would guarantee there's not one white DCEmuer who doesn't have a friend or family member who has racist viewpoints. But of course you'll argue with me about this knowing the above is true.

That's not to say other races don't have massive racism problems but that doesn't justify white racism in any way.
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

not just souLLy now wrote:Anyone who thinks the UK and the US doesn't have a massive racism problem is in total denial, and if people think that little uncomfortable subjects like slavery will disappear by not discussing them then again you're in denial.
The fact that something that happened over 30 years ago is an issue today is what's sad.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Tall Israeli wrote:
not just souLLy now wrote:Anyone who thinks the UK and the US doesn't have a massive racism problem is in total denial, and if people think that little uncomfortable subjects like slavery will disappear by not discussing them then again you're in denial.
The fact that something that happened over 30 years ago is an issue today is what's sad.
someone didn't steal a sandwich 30 years ago, people were put in slavery. Don't be so fucking ignorant.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

The UK and US do have massive racism problems.
But then again so do most countries.

A number of white people are racist, but to make out that all white people have racist views and live racist lifestyles is seriously unfair.

Finally, while you are right in stating that other racism doesnt justify white racism, the thing is, white racism is by no means the worst type of racism, but because it is the most widespread type of racism, we end up all being potrayed as evil racists, which for many people is bollocks.