I Know I Shouldn't Feel This Way

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
User avatar
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice
Posts: 4933
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2001 3:08 am
Location: New Orleans
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

I Know I Shouldn't Feel This Way

Post by toastman » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:14 pm

But I just want these damn evacuees to leave my goddamn town.
Houma was a nice, small "city", if it could be called that. Now with all these people, there is traffic that the roads aren't equipped to handle. Getting around is a hassle and a half. Drives that took 5 - 10 minutes can now take 20 - 30.

I know these people lost their homes and whatnot, and I should be more considerate of them. But like I said, Houma got a 100% increase in population and the city really isn't big enough to handle all of it at once.
No signature.
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Posts: 1507
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2001 7:44 pm
Location: In DA Hizzy
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by TreyDay » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:27 pm

Tasty toastman wrote: Houma got a 100% increase in population and the city really isn't big enough to handle all of it at once.
Then Houma needs to adapt or die.
You don't work, you don't eat.
You don't grind, you shine.
-Mike Jones

281-330-8004, when someone picks up, ask for Mike Jones!

"It's [TreyDay] baby, I'm stackin my cheddar/plus I'm packin mo' heat than a Bill Cosby sweater"
IiLuSiv
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:24 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by IiLuSiv » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:49 pm

You live in Houma? My Aunt and Cousin's live there, and they've been complaining about that to it seems to be a be a big problem around Louisiana, Baton Rouge doubled in population as well. It's crazy, I can't imagine what this is going to do to the public school system.
I have a secret...
you
got
punkd
lo



ser
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster
Posts: 2663
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:34 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by jaredfogle » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:45 pm

IiLuSiv wrote:I can't imagine what this is going to do to the public school system.
I bet it will be good for the schools.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi
Posts: 4215
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2002 10:48 pm
Location: Watching Anna Ohura Posts: ????
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by -Azathoth- » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:32 am

For shame toasty....just put yourself in their shoes. ><
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"
Image
User avatar
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
Posts: 2601
Joined: Sat May 11, 2002 5:21 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by arrowhead » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:16 am

jaredfogle wrote:
IiLuSiv wrote:I can't imagine what this is going to do to the public school system.
I bet it will be good for the schools.
Are you ever right?
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
User avatar
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice
Posts: 4933
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2001 3:08 am
Location: New Orleans
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by toastman » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:45 am

TreyDay wrote:
Tasty toastman wrote: Houma got a 100% increase in population and the city really isn't big enough to handle all of it at once.
Then Houma needs to adapt or die.
No, what happens in situations like this is we become permanently overcrowded. A place can only realistically take only so much expansion at a time due to various factors. The smaller a place, the less expansion (think of the "expansionability" as a function of current total population). Now we have a whole bunch of people at once. We can't expand that fast (and actually we can't even be expanding as fast as we were able because some of that time and energy will be going into rebuilding).
Then we have the normal rate of population expansion that will be continuing to happen. So now we are overcrowded with a infrastructure that is straining to provide for all of these people. As we expand and build new roadways that are currently crowded, it will cause even more problems.
That and the fact that N.O. won't be livable for over a year, it may be that Houma and Thibodaux will pick up those people who want to return that cannot.
So, it's not over yet.
No signature.
User avatar
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Posts: 1741
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 6:01 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by JuddWack » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:43 pm

Shame on you. Those people lost everything. Why don't you move to their town and live in the lake where their house used to be.
User avatar
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Posts: 16189
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 6 times
Contact:

Post by |darc| » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:22 pm

*throws an egg at toastman's house*

*gets a better idea*

*submerges toastman's house in eggs*
It's thinking...
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
Posts: 2498
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:11 am
Location: United States
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Nick » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:06 pm

It's not the rest of the country's job to pick up all the pieces for the dumbass people who lived 10 feet below sea level. They knew the risks. They ignored them. They took a chance and lost everything. Such is the way it goes, maybe they should move to Wyoming where there aren't as many hurricanes.

And before someone bitches at me for being cold or unfeeling, please save your breath (or typing, in this case). I helped out by packing food at the food bank for the hurricane victims, which I think is a reasonable thing to do. Overcrowding towns and cities with tons of people is not a reasonable solution, nor does it do much good for anyone.
Very sexy hero, omg
User avatar
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
Posts: 10966
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2001 12:34 am
Location: Indiana
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by melancholy » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:43 pm

I love the people that think everyone who lives in New Orleans lives there by choice.
User avatar
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Posts: 1667
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Anywhere
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by AuroEdge » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:08 am

*feels sorry for |darc|*

*gets a better idea*

*builds |darc| a new home in a 10ft. deep hole on the beach in Florida*

*EDIT* I suppose that was uncalled for. I guess you can blame the French for New Orleans being in a such a bad place for a metropolis. If it were up to me I'd rebuild New Orleans as an island and build a reinforced port downstream.
Last edited by AuroEdge on Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Image
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
User avatar
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Posts: 16189
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 6 times
Contact:

Post by |darc| » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:46 am

Nick wrote:It's not the rest of the country's job to pick up all the pieces for the dumbass people who lived 10 feet below sea level. They knew the risks. They ignored them. They took a chance and lost everything. Such is the way it goes, maybe they should move to Wyoming where there aren't as many hurricanes.

And before someone bitches at me for being cold or unfeeling, please save your breath (or typing, in this case). I helped out by packing food at the food bank for the hurricane victims, which I think is a reasonable thing to do. Overcrowding towns and cities with tons of people is not a reasonable solution, nor does it do much good for anyone.
You clearly don't understand the importance of the region, and that was the problem to begin with with the gov't.
It's thinking...
User avatar
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Posts: 1667
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Anywhere
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by AuroEdge » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:01 am

|darc|, how is Jeeba doing?
Image
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
User avatar
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Posts: 1741
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 6:01 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by JuddWack » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:16 am

Nick wrote:It's not the rest of the country's job to pick up all the pieces for the dumbass people who lived 10 feet below sea level. They knew the risks. They ignored them. They took a chance and lost everything. Such is the way it goes, maybe they should move to Wyoming where there aren't as many hurricanes.

And before someone bitches at me for being cold or unfeeling, please save your breath (or typing, in this case). I helped out by packing food at the food bank for the hurricane victims, which I think is a reasonable thing to do. Overcrowding towns and cities with tons of people is not a reasonable solution, nor does it do much good for anyone.
Just as some people couldnt leave a few days before the hurricane because they were poor, they couldn't leave months and years before hand because they were poor. Or other reasons such as a sick relative. There are many reasons for being locked into one area.

And congratulations for packing up. You truely are a modern day saint. Maybe you would have had more spare time to post at dcemulation if we just put them into an incenerator instead. Then they wouldn't be overcrowding our cities eaither. BTW have you visited Tokyo or Honk Kong recently? People live quite comfortably there.

On another note it IS the rest of the countries job to pick up the pieces. If you don't agree with that, you know what you got yourself into when you chose to live here.
User avatar
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 8:21 pm
Location: Large fries
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by FETUS » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:25 am

I think it's perfectly normal to feel some resentment towards the people that have caused you trouble no matter what caused it, but you also seem to feel guilty about feeling that way because of the circumstances behind it. I hate to tell you this, but it sounds like you got a bad case of being human.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
Posts: 2498
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:11 am
Location: United States
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Nick » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:58 pm

JuddWack wrote:
Nick wrote:It's not the rest of the country's job to pick up all the pieces for the dumbass people who lived 10 feet below sea level. They knew the risks. They ignored them. They took a chance and lost everything. Such is the way it goes, maybe they should move to Wyoming where there aren't as many hurricanes.

And before someone bitches at me for being cold or unfeeling, please save your breath (or typing, in this case). I helped out by packing food at the food bank for the hurricane victims, which I think is a reasonable thing to do. Overcrowding towns and cities with tons of people is not a reasonable solution, nor does it do much good for anyone.
Just as some people couldnt leave a few days before the hurricane because they were poor, they couldn't leave months and years before hand because they were poor. Or other reasons such as a sick relative. There are many reasons for being locked into one area.

And congratulations for packing up. You truely are a modern day saint. Maybe you would have had more spare time to post at dcemulation if we just put them into an incenerator instead. Then they wouldn't be overcrowding our cities eaither. BTW have you visited Tokyo or Honk Kong recently? People live quite comfortably there.

On another note it IS the rest of the countries job to pick up the pieces. If you don't agree with that, you know what you got yourself into when you chose to live here.
I never said I was a saint, nor did I imply it. However, while we're on the topic of so called "community service," What the hell did you do -- go smoke weed and then tell people on DCEmulation about its benefits?

Please explain in what way it is my job to "pick up the pieces" of a city over one thousand miles away, that I've never visited and have no relation to? Since it's in the same country? That means the inhabitants of the city I live in should open their doors to these people, even if it affects our life style in a very negative way? In Philadelphia, it wouldn't make a bit of difference, and honestly I can care less if the entire population of New Orleans comes to live here. However, to small towns and cities, the sudden surge in population is waaaaaay too much.

Tokyo and Hong Kong have nothing to do with this conversation. They are over-crowded, which is NOT optimal, regardless of what people say. Tokyo has one of the highest costs of living in the entire world, and Hong Kong is center of many bootleg markets.

People chose to live in that area, they knew the risks, and they lost everything. If they didn't want to leave -- for whatever reason -- then they knew they were playing with a time bomb. And if they didn't, they should've.

New Orleans was clearly labeled as one of a few doomsday scenarios that could hit the US. People knew it was going to happen, they just didn't know when.

Much of your post is incoherent and makes little sense, with no real arguement or rebuttal. If you're going to try to take shots at me etc. please back it up with some real information. Other than attempting to sound smart by listing two cities that you probably Googled for.

@ |darc| : Please let me know what the importance of the city was, since I obviously don't live there, nor have I visited.
Very sexy hero, omg
User avatar
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS
Posts: 2867
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:56 pm
Location: Canada
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Caboose » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:08 pm

The reason people will go back is because their entire lives are there. a lot of stuff is ruined, but they still have memories and places they grew up etc. that they don't want to leave.
User avatar
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Posts: 1741
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 6:01 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by JuddWack » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:31 pm

Incoherent? I'm not really sure how my community service or smoking weed has anything to do with the topic, and I don't need to brag about how I helped out but I assure you I didn't stand aside and watch.

It's easily understandable that taking a whole city of people and moving them to surronding areas is going to disrupt things quite a bit. From a humanitarian effort it is something that we need to deal with and adapt to for a bit. Honk Kong and Tokyo are just example of how milions of people live in tight enviornments.

If you even thought for a moment that a catastrophic event in america wouldn't effect your life in anywway just because you live on the other side of the country then I feel sorry for you. The explanation as to why you should help out is because you are an America. Just as you say they are dumb for choosing to live there, you are dumb for choosing to live in America. If you don't care about its citizens then leave because we don't want you.

Be glad you don't live near Toastman who actually has a ground for his arguement. You should feel good about packing the food, not that you have simply done your part and now it's over for you.

BTW your last paragraph is just a front that I have seen people use many times before. You know there is no way you can effectivly respond so you just try to make the other person look dumb.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
Posts: 2498
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:11 am
Location: United States
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Nick » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:56 pm

JuddWack wrote:Incoherent? I'm not really sure how my community service or smoking weed has anything to do with the topic, and I don't need to brag about how I helped out but I assure you I didn't stand aside and watch.
If I was bragging, I would have made an entire paragraph about it. As it is, I don't care, I was just -- oh my goodness, so pompous -- mentioning it. I said I thought that what I did -- and there were a bunch of others there too -- was a reasonable thing to do. Nothing more, nothing less.
If you even thought for a moment that a catastrophic event in america wouldn't effect your life in anywway just because you live on the other side of the country then I feel sorry for you. The explanation as to why you should help out is because you are an America. Just as you say they are dumb for choosing to live there, you are dumb for choosing to live in America. If you don't care about its citizens then leave because we don't want you.
Wait, where did I say that I thought it wouldn't affect me? I can't find that part. Oh, sorry, because I didn't say that, nor did I imply that. My point was that aid etc. was reasonable. Asking everyone else to open their doors, over-populate their cities etc. is not reasonable, and it could have been avoided.
Be glad you don't live near Toastman who actually has a ground for his arguement. You should feel good about packing the food, not that you have simply done your part and now it's over for you.
I am glad I don't live near Toastman, that's definately true. I don't feel good about packing the food, as it's not a big deal, and I don't know why you are making it one. If I get some more money in the next month, I'll donate to the Red Cross or something. So no, it's not over for me and it's not over for anybody.
BTW your last paragraph is just a front that I have seen people use many times before. You know there is no way you can effectivly respond so you just try to make the other person look dumb.
That was exactly my goal. If it's such a "front" then why is the paragraph above using the same arguement? Is it because you can't explain, or is it simply because you're very unoriginal and have to rebut me with my own rebuttal?

I'm not going to continue this arguement (and if people wish to think I am defeated or running away, that's fine), as it's pretty much pointless. I do feel bad for the people who got displaced, and I definately understand where they are coming from. However, all aid has its limits -- and although my first post was undoubtly harsh -- and disrupting the way of life for many more people is wrong. Every area has its risks, and if the people weren't going to get out, then they should have at least had an emergency plan. Dumping yourself in someone else's lap is not the way to go.
Very sexy hero, omg
Post Reply