New Orleans Mayor: "Thousands Likely Dead"

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by |darc| »

AuroEdge wrote:Had these people without cars decided to leave Sunday morning, they could've easily walked miles away from New Orleans. If they're too poor to afford food, it's one of those things that can't really be helped. It wouldn't take that much money to get food and what have you. That may sound "extreme" or like something you'd never do, but if I were in the poverty stricken peoples' shoes I would've done anything to get out of there. I'm sure everybody in the city knew the hurricane was coming.
That's ridiculous, I left Sunday morning IN AN SUV and we barely got out of there. Hurricane evacuations are a yearly thing, but we haven't had a devestating hurricane in this area in about 45 years, do you really expect these people to have the ambition to WALK every year when if they had been doing that for the last 45 years they'd always be walking back to a home? At a certain point it would seem futile.

You act like everyone knew exactly what was going to happen. We always knew that if a large hurricane hit in the right place, we'd be fucked. But Katrina didn't even hit that spot. NO ONE here expected this to happen this way. Most people probably thought they were safer in their homes than to go walking MILES and MILES to be left outside. Where are these people going to walk to? They can't afford a motel room. Most don't have a job and live week-by-week by their paycheck. Or they live off of a gov't check. They don't have money or credit. It made a lot more sense to stay where they had shelter. No one knew what was going to happen. Asking them to walk is absurd.
It's thinking...
IiLuSiv
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by IiLuSiv »

|darc| wrote:
AuroEdge wrote:Had these people without cars decided to leave Sunday morning, they could've easily walked miles away from New Orleans. If they're too poor to afford food, it's one of those things that can't really be helped. It wouldn't take that much money to get food and what have you. That may sound "extreme" or like something you'd never do, but if I were in the poverty stricken peoples' shoes I would've done anything to get out of there. I'm sure everybody in the city knew the hurricane was coming.
That's ridiculous, I left Sunday morning IN AN SUV and we barely got out of there. Hurricane evacuations are a yearly thing, but we haven't had a devestating hurricane in this area in about 45 years, do you really expect these people to have the ambition to WALK every year when if they had been doing that for the last 45 years they'd always be walking back to a home? At a certain point it would seem futile.

You act like everyone knew exactly what was going to happen. We always knew that if a large hurricane hit in the right place, we'd be fucked. But Katrina didn't even hit that spot. NO ONE here expected this to happen this way. Most people probably thought they were safer in their homes than to go walking MILES and MILES to be left outside. Where are these people going to walk to? They can't afford a motel room. Most don't have a job and live week-by-week by their paycheck. Or they live off of a gov't check. They don't have money or credit. It made a lot more sense to stay where they had shelter. No one knew what was going to happen. Asking them to walk is absurd.
DARC is right, hurricane alerts are common and a lot of people were desensitized to it because every hurricane that comes is a national disaster on the news. a lot of people ride them out, just staying in their homes, I am sure if people had the foresight to know what was going to happen the government themselves would have required a total evacuation.

BTW- Is New Orleans pretty much destroyed now? I mean for so many years they were saying, the sea was going to take back the city at some point and it seems now the amount of damage done is almost irreperable, what is the future of this town?
I have a secret...
you
got
punkd
lo

ser
Smiles
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Smiles »

|darc| wrote:Most don't have a job and live week-by-week by their paycheck. Or they live off of a gov't check. They don't have money or credit.
I have sympathy for all these people, but this is what makes it hard. There seems to be a lot of people there that not only expect the government to pay them to live there but also expect them to rescue them. I'm glad the government will help people financially and will help rescue them, but I don't see them trying to do much to help themselves.

And comments like this make is seem like a person without money cannot help themselves.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

IiLuSiv wrote:BTW- Is New Orleans pretty much destroyed now? I mean for so many years they were saying, the sea was going to take back the city at some point and it seems now the amount of damage done is almost irreperable, what is the future of this town?
They're saving the most important parts of it (Central Business District, Garden District, French Quarter, etc.) but I'm uncertain about the suburbs and surrounding areas. We might just wind up selling our land to the government or the refinaries in the area and move across the lake.
It's thinking...
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Coming soon starring Snake Pliskin - Escape from New Orleans

With looters shooting rescue choppers & threatening to shoot bus driver to jack the vehicles its starting to look like a John Carpenter film, except with gators & snakes swimming around the streets & apparantly at least a couple of sharks swept in from the gulf of mexico (seen the other day it was reported, might be gone now).
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4207542.stm
Read the stuff on the bottom about what other countries are saying about our handling of this. This makes us look real bad in the world.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

SuperMegatron wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4207542.stm
Read the stuff on the bottom about what other countries are saying about our handling of this. This makes us look real bad in the world.
I don't so much think it makes us look bad as it does speak to the already existing attitudes of the rest of the world towards Bush and to a lesser extent, America in general.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

The people who are holding up rescue vehicles etc. really should just be shot, because they've obviously proven that they don't deserve to live and have an intelligence level equal to a mouse.

Furthermore, by pulling those antics, they're fucking over thousands of people who are also desperate for aid, but aren't acting like absolute cocksuckers.
Very sexy hero, omg
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Ill stick my nose into this one:

1) I dont buy all this crap about not realising this would happen. Here in the UK Hurricanes in the US will get very little attention in the media, but Katrina was on the news days before it happened, saying it was going to be a devastating storm. I cant believe the US media would not report this in the same way.

2) I dont understand why you say you always knew youd be fudged if a big hurricane hit, yet you continued to live there anyway, and seem to be completely unprepared for when the big one actually came. This wasnt a terrorist attack, you knew this was going to happen, yet the threat was quite obviously either ignored, or underestimated.

3) You talk of poor people staying in their homes because its safer than walking. Id agree with this, but why were those the only 2 options available? Transportation shouldve been made available for these people

4) It sickens me to see places being run by armed looters in a country that is meant to be developed, united and civilised. There were areas struck by the Tsunami that were engaged in civil war, yet they managed to come together to help each other out in a time of crisis. it is sickening to see how many Americans are happy to selfishly and thoughtlessly take advantage of such an appauling disaster. If you think the worl d is only looking down on Bush, youre dead wrong. American society as a whole has been put very much in the spotlight, and people arent liking what they see.
IiLuSiv
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by IiLuSiv »

2) I dont understand why you say you always knew youd be fudged if a big hurricane hit, yet you continued to live there anyway, and seem to be completely unprepared for when the big one actually came. This wasnt a terrorist attack, you knew this was going to happen, yet the threat was quite obviously either ignored, or underestimated.
We have a sensationalist media. Everything from SARS, Ecoli, West Nile Virus, terrorists, hurricanes, are out to kill us.

We hear all the time that California is going to be destroyed by an earthquake and that New Orleans is going to be taken back in the sea, but you learn to live with it. Noone knew when it would happen. Or if it would, every hurricane they tell us about is always, 'The Big One.'\

We don't have drills like Japan or what-not to prepare for disaster save for the non-chalant efforts in the public school system otherwise adults are not prepared.

And if you notice almost all of the suburban middle/upper class populations who could afford it, left New Orleans as quickly as possible, DARC, Jeeba etc, you can see on the news for yourself who got left behind.

As for the threat being underestimated or ignored, it wasn't. What do you think the levee system was for? However it was from the 60s and not made to accomadate a storm, which is reflective of New Orleans. Most buildings old and underequipped.

More could have been done to prepare but while we are an affluent nation, maybe we give out too much and take too little as we could have used better preparation for such a disaster. Louisiana and Mississippi are some of the poorest regions of the nation, due to them never fully recovering from the Civil War and mostly missing out on the industrial revolution compared to many other parts of the South such as Texas, Florida and Georgia. Louisiana, New Orleans specifically lacked much infrastructure especially after oil ran off to Texas, all the products the city had to sell were really to just whore itself out to visitors and taking in goods while the rest of it was made by a passing through oil economy this resulted in many people underemployed in the service industry. If not that, living off government subsistence checks and ending up staying behind when the flood hit.
Transportation shouldve been made available for these people
If you haven't noticed, we're an automobile based society. That's why most everyone left via the highway system, New Orleans itself has a bus system and a street car system but what good does that do for transporting people outside of the city. Gas prices crippled people's ability to move as well.
4) It sickens me to see places being run by armed looters in a country that is meant to be developed, united and civilised. There were areas struck by the Tsunami that were engaged in civil war, yet they managed to come together to help each other out in a time of crisis. it is sickening to see how many Americans are happy to selfishly and thoughtlessly take advantage of such an appauling disaster. If you think the worl d is only looking down on Bush, youre dead wrong. American society as a whole has been put very much in the spotlight, and people arent liking what they see.
a lot of poor people already engaged into criminality were left behind and decided to start stealing, we are a first world nation with a large third world populus, undereducated, underemployed and underdeveloped people are going to be chaotic and unruly when a police state is let off.

Remember New Orleans, is a highly segregated city with most of the whites living in the county or affluent parts of the city and the blacks being quite poor, while the police mostly strive to deal with tourist safety in the city. a lot of alienation went on and once the curtain went all hell broke loose.

If you want to put all of our America on trial for the way some groups in our country act, go fudge yourself, judge us in our time of need while when the tsunami disaster happens or earthquakes in Iran happen we are the first on the scene to help out.
I have a secret...
you
got
punkd
lo

ser
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

BoneyCork wrote: 1) I dont buy all this crap about not realising this would happen. Here in the UK Hurricanes in the US will get very little attention in the media, but Katrina was on the news days before it happened, saying it was going to be a devastating storm. I cant believe the US media would not report this in the same way.
Are you saying that the entire states of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida should evacuate every time we hear news of a hurricane brewing? Yes, they said it would be a devastating storm. But did they say it would be a devestating storm to New Orleans? We don't know where it will hit until it gets close.
BoneyCork wrote:2) I dont understand why you say you always knew youd be fudged if a big hurricane hit, yet you continued to live there anyway, and seem to be completely unprepared for when the big one actually came. This wasnt a terrorist attack, you knew this was going to happen, yet the threat was quite obviously either ignored, or underestimated.
Do you honestly fucking expect everyone in one of the largest cities in the United States to get up and walk away to a new place? New Orleans is one of the most important cities in the nation and people are now feeling that importance at gas pumps. There are opportunities and culture here. People are here for a reason. If you're smart, you have insurance. I had insurance. Some people can't afford it, and that's why they're here--they need money to begin with.

The wetlands of southern Louisiana are slipping into the Gulf of Mexico and they are vital to hurricane protection. They act as a buffer zone and reduce the storm surge. Louisiana has always plead for federal funding for restoration projects, but we have ultimately been ignored. The levee system has also been neglected by the federal government. The Army Corps of Engineers also backed the MRGO (Mississippi River Gulf Outlet), a waterway that was touted as a great canal for transportation. Today it is hardly used. Its construction destroyed a lot of wetlands. This region is neglected, even though we have plead for federal help. Meanwhile, Bush cuts funding for Iraq and other stupid bullshit.
BoneyCork wrote:3) You talk of poor people staying in their homes because its safer than walking. Id agree with this, but why were those the only 2 options available? Transportation shouldve been made available for these people
It's being made for those people now. There are thousands upon thousands of people who live there. Transportation arrangements can't be made for these people EVERY TIME a hurricane looks like it might be nearby. Coordinating that would take days and they don't have that much time.
BoneyCork wrote:4) It sickens me to see places being run by armed looters in a country that is meant to be developed, united and civilised. There were areas struck by the Tsunami that were engaged in civil war, yet they managed to come together to help each other out in a time of crisis. it is sickening to see how many Americans are happy to selfishly and thoughtlessly take advantage of such an appauling disaster. If you think the worl d is only looking down on Bush, youre dead wrong. American society as a whole has been put very much in the spotlight, and people arent liking what they see.
We're entering racial territory here.

There are two sides of New Orleans, the beautiful uptown areas dominated by rich white people, and the ghettos filled with poor black people. The Africans are the only people left behind, and they are savages. There is rampant crime and murder in the housing projects. They have no families, they live on the streets, etc. If you look at the scenes on television, VERY FEW people there are white.

Please note that I am in no way racist, I go crazy daily defending Africans because my parents can be racist. They grew up with black crime in their area.

The riots and anarchy are in no way indicative of the general American public. My uncle was watching the television with us last night, and was commenting on how everyone will immediatly stereotype us to the scenes on TV.

Sigh...
It's thinking...
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

|darc| wrote: We're entering racial territory here.

There are two sides of New Orleans, the beautiful uptown areas dominated by rich white people, and the ghettos filled with poor black people. The Africans are the only people left behind, and they are savages. There is rampant crime and murder in the housing projects. They have no families, they live on the streets, etc. If you look at the scenes on television, VERY FEW people there are white.
So true. Everything these scumbags touch turns to crap. This is a constant in most places.
IiLuSiv
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by IiLuSiv »

We're entering racial territory here.

That's what a lot of people in America want to say, but are afraid of being labeled racist. The fact of the matter is, you can see on TV for yourself.

It's the case in most of our major cities, Detroit, Saint Louis, New Orleans, DC, Baltimore...the list goes on and on. It's not so much a color issue either, its more of societal issue and many black people seem to fall into that society, however I doubt it has anything to do with their skin color and more to do with the after effects of slavery.
Last edited by IiLuSiv on Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have a secret...
you
got
punkd
lo

ser
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

IiLuSiv wrote:That's what a lot of people in America want to say, but are afraid of being labeled racist.
No a lot of american dont want to say that just the bigots.
IiLuSiv
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by IiLuSiv »

SuperMegatron wrote:
IiLuSiv wrote:That's what a lot of people in America want to say, but are afraid of being labeled racist.
Could you rephrase that in English?
I have a secret...
you
got
punkd
lo

ser
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

IiLuSiv wrote:
SuperMegatron wrote:
Could you rephrase that in English?
No, most Americans don't want to say that. Just the bigots,
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

SuperMegatron wrote:
The fact that their skin color is black or that they are of African descent has nothing to do with it. The African population has a big problem and you can't deny it.
It's thinking...
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by AuroEdge »

Kanye West wrote:'GEORGE BUSH DOESN'T CARE ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE... They're saying black families are looting and white families are just looking for food...they're giving the (Army) permission to shoot us'... Actor Mike Myers asked people to donate... then Kanye West went on a tirade about Iraq
What a tard. In other news, looks like the death toll for Louisiana may top 10,000 :cry: and overall the hurricane may have damaged over $100 Billion in property and what not.
Sixty-four year old African-American wrote:Also, it is reported that black hurricane victims in New Orleans have begun eating corpses to survive. Four days after the storm, thousands of blacks in New Orleans are dying like dogs. No-one has come to help them.
Looks like the only people making any noise about races or any of that crap are black people in the media :roll:.
Last edited by AuroEdge on Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

IiLuSiv wrote: It's the case in most of our major cities, Detroit, Saint Louis, New Orleans, DC, Baltimore...the list goes on and on. It's not so much a color issue either, its more of societal issue and many black people seem to fall into that society, however I doubt it has anything to do with their skin color and more to do with the after effects of slavery.
I've seen it on TV. I can't believe whats happening there.
I saw a woman(white) saying that the main reason of this happening is because they are poor as some of you(I think) point (she said that is not a racial thing, perhaps most are black, I don't know). Seems that nobody cares about them. In a country like the USA, this wouldn't have happened if the people in that trap wold have been rich. Really sad :x
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

In response to what Darc said (I cant be bothered seperating everything into quotes:

1) Here in the Uk it was reported that it will most likely hit New Orleans, and that was a few days before it hit. While it wasnt a certainty most people suggested there was a very good chance that it would hit. When it eventually did hit a lot of people seem to of completely underestimated it. I know you get these warnings a lot, but it was already known that this one would be different, yet most people didnt seem to treat it as such.

2) Yes I do expect everybody to move away. Its called intelligence. You can talk about culture and importance all you want, but now New Orleans is nothing but a giant putrid soup of water, debris and corpses. And you knew it was going to happen. People seem to have been living there under the false hope that it wouldnt happen.

3) Transport arrangements shouldnt need to be made, and nothing should need to be coordinated. If youre living in an area that is at risk from things like this, a plan shouldve been made years ago, and transport should always be readily available.