No 2 Next-Gen?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Vchat20 »

meh. ill stick with my handy DS, dreamcast and "pc home entertainment unit" or a "computer" for you peons ;)
Safety in Nimbus
Revenge Therapist
Revenge Therapist

Post by Safety in Nimbus »

I have my eyes on an Xbox 360. I'll be getting the $400 package. Eventually I'll get a Revolution or PS3.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I won't buy a system until I see some games for it that I just have to play. That's the way it's been with every system I've ever owned. In fact...here's a list of systems and the game(s) that initialy made me want the system in the first place.

NES - TMNT, Bad Dudes, Double Dragon, and Ninja Gaiden
Genesis - Revenge of Shinobi and Golden Axe
SNES - Street Fighter II and Super Castlevania IV
Saturn - Daytona USA and Panzer Dragoon
PSX - Twisted Metal 2
N64 - Goldeneye
Dreamcast - MVC2 and Virtua Tennis
GBA - Metroid Fusion and Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance
PS2 - GT3, MGS2, and Soul Reaver 2
XBox - Panzer Dragoon Orta
GC - F-Zero GX

So...until I get really excited over at least one game...I'm gonna hold off. Having said that...the prospect of perfect N64 emulation on the Revolution has me pretty excited.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

Vlad Tepes wrote:I won't buy a system until I see some games for it that I just have to play. That's the way it's been with every system I've ever owned. In fact...here's a list of systems and the game(s) that initialy made me want the system in the first place.

NES - TMNT, Bad Dudes, Double Dragon, and Ninja Gaiden
Genesis - Revenge of Shinobi and Golden Axe
SNES - Street Fighter II and Super Castlevania IV
Saturn - Daytona USA and Panzer Dragoon
PSX - Twisted Metal 2
N64 - Goldeneye
Dreamcast - MVC2 and Virtua Tennis
GBA - Metroid Fusion and Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance
PS2 - GT3, MGS2, and Soul Reaver 2
XBox - Panzer Dragoon Orta
GC - F-Zero GX

So...until I get really excited over at least one game...I'm gonna hold off. Having said that...the prospect of perfect N64 emulation on the Revolution has me pretty excited.
Some of those, in my opinion, are not games to buy systems for - but I can appreciate that you prefer those to what I'd like. But Daytona USA? :o

I agree with Vlad Tepes though - systems should be bought based on shining titles that they showcase - not hardware or tech demos. I got in an interesting arguement the other day with someone who thought 360 would beat "Revolution" because it would simply be more powerful. It's all about the games, people. I miss the 16-bit era. :cry:

- Fuzmeister
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

melancholy wrote:Seeing that I already have money down on the Xbox 360, I wil have to answer 'no' to your question. However, I do agree that the current generation still has plenty of opportunities to impress. And it will have time to show its potential too. You must realize that most new consoles need at least a good year before anything worthwhile is released on them. Sure there are a few good titles between now and then, but a new console right out of the gate simply does not have enough time for the developers to prepare anything spetacular beyond graphical gimmicks. So just because the new consoles are on the way, don't think that the old ones are on the way out. They still have probably a good 2 years before they even begin to fade.
Don't forget the atari I am shipping out Monday
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

popley wrote:xbox360 isnt that much compaired to other systems at launch. On xbox scene they posted this,

"There is no question that four hundred dollars is a good chunk of money, but how wide is the gap between this console launch and the price of previous gaming hardware? What follows is a list of previous consoles with their prices adjusted for inflation according to the Consumer Price Index. NASA.org is kind enough to provide an array of inflation calculators including a separate calculator based on the Employment Cost Index which is based on employee wages and benefits.

Atari VCS launched in 1977 for $249.99 = $811.21 in 2005
Nintendo Entertainment System launched in 1985 for $199.99 = $354.91 in 2005
SEGA Genesis launched in 1989 for $249.99 = $389.67 in 2005
NeoGeo launched in 1990 for $699.99 = $1041.12 in 2005
Super Nintendo launched in 1991 for $199.99 = $282.21 in 2005
Jaguar launched in 1993 for $249.99 = $328.69 in 2005
3DO Interactive Multiplayer launched in 1993 for $699.95 = $920.30 in 2005
SEGA Saturn launched in 1995 for $399.99 = $497.66 in 2005
Nintendo 64 launched in 1996 for $199.99 = $242.75 in 2005
SEGA Dreamcast launches in 1999 for $199.99 = $228.09 in 2005
PlayStation launched in 1995 for $299.99 = $372.01 in 2005
PlayStation 2 launched in 2000 for $299.99 = $333.15 in 2005
Xbox Launched in 2001 for $299.99 = $325.34 in 2005
GameCube launched in 2001 for $199.99 = $216.89 in 2005"
Something not mentioned in some of those older systems is they included 2 games and usually a cartridge with games on it as well. When you buy a new system you generally get no games and 1 controller.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

The next-gen is total BS. I was skeptical before I saw the 360 in action. But after seeing MTV's special about the new Perfect Dark game, as well as seeing screenshots for other games, I came to this conclusion: The gaming industry is only out for money, nothing else. I really couldn't see a difference between Pefect Dark 0 and Halo 2. The human eye can only detect a certain amount of frames per second, and the graphics on the 360 are barely superior to Xbox's top games. I understand that they need a different format of storage, but they could always release add-ons. There's no reason to release a whole new system for $300, they're just milking the customers. It's all a gimmick.
SadisticSaviorX
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by SadisticSaviorX »

....xbox 360 is better than xbox cuz its backwards compatable!!! hahaha.

>.< ok ill shutup :cry:
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Its a shame this forum only goes back to November 2001, because I will bet money that the old forums had a topic exactly like this discussing the PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

^^Probably^^

I wonder what the first system to be warezed will be.

Anyone have a phantom or whatever that overheating system was called?
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Dark Savant0 wrote:I wonder what the first system to be warezed will be.
Xbox 360, solely because the have at least 6 months in advance to start work on it.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

Kenichi wrote:The next-gen is total BS. I was skeptical before I saw the 360 in action. But after seeing MTV's special about the new Perfect Dark game, as well as seeing screenshots for other games, I came to this conclusion: The gaming industry is only out for money, nothing else. I really couldn't see a difference between Pefect Dark 0 and Halo 2. The human eye can only detect a certain amount of frames per second, and the graphics on the 360 are barely superior to Xbox's top games. I understand that they need a different format of storage, but they could always release add-ons. There's no reason to release a whole new system for $300, they're just milking the customers. It's all a gimmick.
I agree with you and maximo. I am not at all excited for the new systems,Xbox is just a PC with console games so that is out, Sony with endless sequel with boring games thats out. Revolution Backwards compatiblity with GC,Free online play and Downloadable classics that Sounds nice but I might just say meh, I own 250 NES carts anyways and 85 SNES carts I am ok.

In my opinion This next gen their is only one thing that they are all for....GRAPHICS! Some how or some why idiots running around saying "graphics make a game" that is total crap! What about gameplay? Isn't Gameplay what a game is about, seriously how many games can we all say we played more then once on current gen systems? Personally I am near done with "zelda : The Wind waker" and I don't think I will play it again after I beat it,however I beaten zelda 1,2 and LTTP over and over again, want to know why? THE GAMEPLAY IS FLAWLESS.

I Never will understand why the gaming industry is going down hill, I may or may not pick up a rev, Online Smash bros sounds godly but I dont' know we'll see but gaming now a days is a gimmick and its really nothing to get excited over like it used to be.
Have you played dreamcast today?
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Kenichi wrote:The next-gen is total BS. I was skeptical before I saw the 360 in action. But after seeing MTV's special about the new Perfect Dark game, as well as seeing screenshots for other games, I came to this conclusion: The gaming industry is only out for money, nothing else. I really couldn't see a difference between Pefect Dark 0 and Halo 2. The human eye can only detect a certain amount of frames per second, and the graphics on the 360 are barely superior to Xbox's top games. I understand that they need a different format of storage, but they could always release add-ons. There's no reason to release a whole new system for $300, they're just milking the customers. It's all a gimmick.
You will need high definition to see the difference I think; I imagine 360 games will look nice at 720p or 1080i. Having said that, high def requires a lot of horse power (I think I did say that earlier in the thread), and I bet games out of the gate will have issues running at those resolutions. It's going to take more than pretty graphics at high def though to have me sold.

One thing I hope is gone are the jaggies. Yes, the PS2 is the worst, but the XBOX 1 and GC have their fair share. I'm sick of that.
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

yeah ,but how many of the common gamer is really gonna have a HDTV. Not many im sure.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

melancholy wrote:Its a shame this forum only goes back to November 2001, because I will bet money that the old forums had a topic exactly like this discussing the PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube.
NES to SNES, big step up.

SNES to N64, HUGE step up.

N64 to GC, big step up.

GC to Revolution.......eh?

It'll have some nice features, but I can't see the graphics being that much superior than some of GC's games that are out now. Zelda: TP looks like it could stand as a Revolution game, though I haven't seen any screenshots of any Revolution games I can't imagine them being much better than GC, nor 360.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

S. Thompson wrote:Some of those, in my opinion, are not games to buy systems for - but I can appreciate that you prefer those to what I'd like. But Daytona USA? :o
Daytona is one of the biggest arcade hits ever, everyone wanted it back then. But the port was terrible! And the Saturn can do much better, just check Sega Rally.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

SNES to N64, HUGE step up.
Pheh. It depends on the way you look at it, really. The better N64 games have aged better than most PSX games, but personally, I think almost all of the first 3D generation of systems games looked terrible back then and terrible now.

BTW, I tend to agree there isn't a need for a new generation yet. They should have waited longer.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

It seems to me that games are getting more and more generic. I don't really care what I'm playing a game on, I just want good games.

There aren't many people out there making good games these days, and Nintendo is one of the few that does. I'll be buying a Revolution for the first-party titles.

I'd really like to see a revolution in game design. More creativity. Not, "lets make a racing game. futuristic. kartish." Taking old ideas and combining them in "new" ways. Few seem to really be pushing things forward, and I am hoping that Nintendo's new console will appeal to the artists of the industry and give us something new to play.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

ill agree on perfect dark zero, every single thing ive seen up to date screams "flop" , like the framerate in the pieces of footage ive seen, the detail of the world is rather low, and playermodels look awefull, along with what little snippets of gameplay ive seen

but games like Q4, the new enemy territory, gears of war and the new Unreal are really interesting, and certainly a step up in graphics, i remember my xbox having trouble with playing UC, basicly a ut2k3 port, even with the larger (way better) levels cut out, and the new gen of shooters really look ace, but they all launch on PC too, so thats where ill get my fix
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

I don't care how early it is, when a new system comes out i get it the day it comes out no matter what. I will have the 360 day of release, as well as the ps3 and revolution.